Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another track day in my Spyder !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Another track day in my Spyder !!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
First time I had a chance to view the whole thing.... Man, you were hauling *** around that track... nice run.

Mark

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Honestly I think I could have done better... Was very hot also and my tires were feeling a bit greasy... I couldn't accelerate as hard as I would have liked at some areas...

I did get passed by a vette and a Gtr

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM
StockKiller is on a distinguished road
excellent video... reguardless if you thought you could go faster.. you were flying.. your lines looked good enough for me..
i havent seen my car in person in almost 6-8 weeks.. im jonesing to drive ...
but im booking dates in the fall for multiple weekends at daytona...
just ordered a go pro.. as well..
keep posting.. the videos..

Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShahulX
Honestly I think I could have done better... Was very hot also and my tires were feeling a bit greasy... I couldn't accelerate as hard as I would have liked at some areas...

I did get passed by a vette and a Gtr
Wicked fast, even when your lines were off. Not sure what kind of voodoo you were using.

What kind of tires did you have? What was your max speed on the front straight (seemed like you closed on a lot of cars there)?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Honestly I'm not sure what I hit on the front straight... I think maybe low 130's ?

Running yokahama Advan Ad08's... Nothing too crazy.. No r888.. No Hoosiers.. No r comps at all

When my lines were off? Like when I was trying to pass people? Once early I almost lost it trying to go around someone and accelerate down the "chute"

Oh voodoo I use is the thought that if I die, insurance will make my daughter a rich little girl ..lol (I'm kidding)... Just don't be afraid

Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold

Running yokahama Advan Ad08's...

Well that would explain the greasy feeling... God, I hate those tires. Work great for the first 15 minutes but they turn greasy FAST.

Mark

Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Yea I remember you saying that lol

I mean it was worse case.. It was 100 degrees and I was pushing the car...

The cayman R in that video was on Ps2's and said his tires were sliding just as bad... Maybe worse... I just tried to compensate

I don't know what tire I want to try next... I may go to toyo R888... I'm just nervous since the front is 35 and the rear is 30... Vs stock/current 30/30 profile tires... Think I'd be fine on the r888?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Yea I remember you saying that lol

I mean it was worse case.. It was 100 degrees and I was pushing the car...

The cayman R in that video was on Ps2's and said his tires were sliding just as bad... Maybe worse... I just tried to compensate

I don't know what tire I want to try next... I may go to toyo R888... I'm just nervous since the front is 35 and the rear is 30... Vs stock/current 30/30 profile tires... Think I'd be fine on the r888?
You can try the R888's. They're good tires but I think you may want something more like a Hankook or Hoosiers. (unless you track in the wet and in that case, the R888's will be much better)

Since these tires don't last long anyways, the worst thing is you wear them out and try another brand.

Regardless of the brand, I think you'll find you'll be able to push it even harder with (IMO) a better set of tires than the Advan's.

Just an opinion... I'm sure there may be other's...lol.

Mark

Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
tirerack raves about the Advans...did well in a recent test in Car & Driver. I may consider Hoosier R6's... but they are expensive and technically void the warranty... non dry sump..

Old 07-11-2012, 05:11 PM
tirerack raves about the Advans...did well in a recent test in Car & Driver. I may consider Hoosier R6's... but they are expensive and technically void the warranty... non dry sump..

SO WHAT? YOU THINK Car & Driver knows more than me??

Yeah, I agree, I’ve read bunches of good reviews but I’ve tried two sets and hated them both times... same complaint both times... too hot, too greasy, too quick. Having said that... if they don’t get greasy, they were excellent.

Like I said, try ‘em, if you don’t like them, don’t buy them again.

Mark

Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
The most important thing is to maintain the stock ratio of tire diameter front to rear. Otherwise the electronic nannies may get all confused.

I've been VERY happy with RE-11's on my Cayman R. The grip is outstanding, they give great feedback, and the wear has been decent so far. They are also much better in the wet than a competition tire. I've got 10 track days on them and I think they should be good for 1 or 2 more weekends. On the other hand, 10 track days did in the brake pads (Pagid blue)!

I may try NT01's next - I put 18" wheels on to get more tire options. If you don't want a full competition tire, others I'd consider are the various 'extreme performance' tires like the Hankook R-S3. People also seem to love the Pilot Super Sports. Most likely I'll stick with the RE-11's. I know they work for me.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM
[quote=Dr. Bill;3589274]The most important thing is to maintain the stock ratio of tire diameter front to rear. Otherwise the electronic nannies may get all confused.{/quote]

X2... it doesn’t matter what the ratio is as long as the overall height is the same. The ratio may be different but what if you were running a 255 vs 235?? (just making the point that the ratio means nothing if the width isn’t the same)

I've been VERY happy with RE-11's on my Cayman R. The grip is outstanding, they give great feedback, and the wear has been decent so far. They are also much better in the wet than a competition tire. I've got 10 track days on them and I think they should be good for 1 or 2 more weekends. On the other hand, 10 track days did in the brake pads (Pagid blue)!
IMO, the RE-11’s are the best non R compound tires out there. I would have loved to run them as my daily driver tire but they wouldn’t last worth a crap.

They are great in the dry and fantastic in the wet. Great choice.

People also seem to love the Pilot Super Sports. Most likely I'll stick with the RE-11's. I know they work for me.
PSS’s are good but I think the RE-11’s are even better. The last set of PSS’s, I only got 12K out of them. Great tire, just too damn expensive.

Mark

Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118

I trust you more Orange!!! buts still... lol

Ive liked the Advans for the most part... I did love the R888's but I worried about the fronts being 35 vs 30 rear...

Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
The most important thing is to maintain the stock ratio of tire diameter front to rear. Otherwise the electronic nannies may get all confused.

I may try NT01's next - I put 18" wheels on to get more tire options. If you don't want a full competition tire, others I'd consider are the various 'extreme performance' tires like the Hankook R-S3. People also seem to love the Pilot Super Sports. Most likely I'll stick with the RE-11's. I know they work for me.
Good to hear that about the RE-11s. That's what I want to try next on our Cayman R. But currently, the front PS2s need to be replaced, whereas the rears still have life, so I'm getting a new set of front PS2s (to keep them all the same), will drive all four into the ground, and then go to the RE-11s.

The PS2s are OK, but not great, IMO. Grip is only decent, and they do great greasy within a 20-min session. Super Sports cost less than PS2s, yet seem to have significantly better ratings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another track day in my Spyder !!