Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 big brake kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
987 big brake kit?

anyone have experience with a big brake kit on a 987 boxster/cayman? better stopping power/feel on them? Price vs gains? clearance?

thanks!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I have not, but before you upgrade to a big brake kit I would advise upgrading to a GT3 Brake Master Cylinder. This is a direct fit upgrade. Keep your existing lines, hardware, and fluid reservoir, but benefit from the master cylinder installed on Porsche's premium performance machine.

For more information Click Here

Last edited by ECS Tuning - Porsche; 08-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Thank you...ive heared mixed reviews on that... my brakes arent bad now using the pagids, upgraded fluids and lines... but at some point I may want to do the turbo thing and at that point I do not believe the current brakes would be up to snuff... maybe something from Stoptech, AP or Wilwood?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
GiroDiscs work well for NA engined 987.2's.

That being said there are a couple of downsides:

Having to bend the hard line that goes between the upright to the caliper on both the front and the rear (unless you decide to replace the OEM rubber line that goes between the chassis to the upright along with the hard line that goes between the upright to the caliper with a single run of braided line)

You will most likely have to send the hats back to have the rotors installed on them since the manufacturer can't guarantee against balance issues that may cause vibrations otherwise.

Other than that they work pretty well even at tracks that are known to be brutal on brakes like Laguna Seca.

Another option would be to source some slotted OEM sized replacement rotors.

Personally I see zero need for the GT3 Master cylinder upgrade on the 987.2 based vehicles with the standard calipers (non PCCB) given my own experience as well as some other fellow 987.2 owners who run a similar brake setup as the one on my car.

If you end up going with a BBK with a bigger caliper switching to the GT3 MC might make more sense at that time.

For a TPC setup it will all depend on driving style as well as cooling to the brake components, diverdog has been running GiroDiscs on his TPC 987.1 Cayman and so far he seems to be happy about them.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM
808croc is infamous around these parts808croc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ShahulX
at some point I may want to do the turbo thing and at that point I do not believe the current brakes would be up to snuff
i've had a tpc turbo system on my cayman for 2+ years and i'm on the stockers (i had the front stock rotors turned and replaced the front pads, but the rears are original) and have not experienced any issues that would cause me to want to upgrade to a bbk...of course i haven't tracked my cayman.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Yea honestly I drive my spyder only a few times a month... Mainly because of my daughter and I have a work car. It's mainly for track use.

If I ever go the turbo route I guess I'll just have to see... May not happen if I can find a good gt3 at some point or something else track worthy (not much out there that are true track cars.. V6 lotus isn't coming as street legal, viper acr..? Nothing else I could afford haha)

Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Yea honestly I drive my spyder only a few times a month... Mainly because of my daughter and I have a work car. It's mainly for track use.

If I ever go the turbo route I guess I'll just have to see... May not happen if I can find a good gt3 at some point or something else track worthy (not much out there that are true track cars.. V6 lotus isn't coming as street legal, viper acr..? Nothing else I could afford haha)

Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 808croc
i've had a tpc turbo system on my cayman for 2+ years and i'm on the stockers (i had the front stock rotors turned and replaced the front pads, but the rears are original) and have not experienced any issues that would cause me to want to upgrade to a bbk...of course i haven't tracked my cayman.
I think Shaul means for track usage. Turbo would allow him to reach faster speed at the end of straights and therefore may or may not need extra braking capacity. 987/981 rotors are quite frankly embarrassing when compared directly side by side with GT3's.

As far as BBK's, Girodiscs are popular and Brembo also makes BBK's.. but I'm sure you already knew that.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Ya, so far my brakes havent faded or anything yet.. But they don't feel as strong as some other cars I've owned. Wonder if gt3 brakes swap over? Non pccb

Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
cpturbo is infamous around these parts
No they will not. You need the GT3/Carrera S front hubs in order for it to work. I also think that there is an issue with the rear e-brake and offsets of the rear hub.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Oh well... Anticipating a problem that hasn't happened yet I guess. So far the upgraded brake lines, fluid and pads have been ok but fairly sure it won't be tracking a 460 hp turbo spyder

Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 AM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cpturbo
No they will not. You need the GT3/Carrera S front hubs in order for it to work. I also think that there is an issue with the rear e-brake and offsets of the rear hub.
Crap, thank you for this. I was thinking about switching out to GT3 brakes after reading this thread...