Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch Control Inquiry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 AM
UF2JZ4U is on a distinguished road
Launch Control Inquiry

So I have a very Noob question.

Recently picked up a PDK 987.2 Spyder

Question is, how do I know if my car has launch control???

...and if it does, how is it applied in this vehicle.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Anyone????

Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Bueller???

More than 80 views and no one knows the answer???

I'm sorry if this is such a novice question but I bought the car second-hand at a non-Porsche dealership and they didn't have a spec sheet of the options. Just trying to educate myself...

Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Got the owners manual and/or window sticker? Hit the sport plus button, put it in drive, hold the brake and floor the accel pedal. You'll know right away.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 AM
LOL well didn't necessarily want to try launching the car that way if it doesn't have launch control...

Unfortunately no original window sticker, as it was purchased from a non-Porsche dealership. I have the owners manual but couldn't find anything that defines if you have Launch Control, just the if you have this option...

Was wondering if there is any defining button in the dash that would determine if I have it... I have sport and sport plus, just not sure if that means therefore I have launch contorol

Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 AM
987spydr is on a distinguished road
If you have a PDK with Sport Chrono, then you have Launch Control. Enjoy.

Hit the sport plus button, put it in drive, hold the brake and floor the accel pedal. If you have the sport steering wheel with paddle shifters the right hand steering wheel spoke will light up with "Launch Control"

Last edited by 987spydr; 03-13-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks 987Spyder!

That was very helpful : )

Now is that Clock that sits on my dash what denotes that I have "Sport Chrono" ???

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Yes. The "Clock" on the center of the dash and the fact that you have "Sport" and "Sport Plus" buttons on your center stack indicate you have the Sport Chrono package. My 2011 Silver Spyder has these and the Sport Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters. In my opinion, it's the only way to order a car with the PDK transmission.

See My Garage photos here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/g/album/186182

Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Sweet Ride!

Of course after you mentioned this Sport Steering wheel I started to google around with it. These look awesome! It looks like it separates the upshift on one side of the steering wheel and downshift on the other. Very intuitive as opposed to the push forward/push backward on my current steering wheel. Found some on ebay going for around ~$1700 , is it possible to just swap my steering wheel with one of those? Or does it need an additional/different ecu that controls the PDK shifting?

That setup is awesome, just like in my Maserati which makes sense, upshift on the right, downshift on the left : )

Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by UF2JZ4U
Sweet Ride!

Of course after you mentioned this Sport Steering wheel I started to google around with it. These look awesome! It looks like it separates the upshift on one side of the steering wheel and downshift on the other. Very intuitive as opposed to the push forward/push backward on my current steering wheel. Found some on ebay going for around ~$1700 , is it possible to just swap my steering wheel with one of those? Or does it need an additional/different ecu that controls the PDK shifting?

That setup is awesome, just like in my Maserati which makes sense, upshift on the right, downshift on the left : )

Yes. Just like a Maserati or Ferrari with regard to shifting.

As to changing it out I can't really tell you as mine came from the factory with it. I'm fairly certain there is no need for changes to the ECU. I would imagine the wiring harness for the steering column would have to be changed out to support the "Sport", "Sport Plus" and "Launch Control" lighting in the steering wheel spokes. The wiring for the paddle shifters would probably plug right in since the wheel you have has button shifters. You will, of course, loose all of the other functions that are associated with the steering wheel you currently have.

If you are indeed serious about making the switch, I strongly recommend you take it to a good Porcshe shop and get their opinion on what would be needed to complete the swap. Buying a Wheel on E-bay may not get you everything you need.

BTW. Welcome to the Spyder Club.

P.S. You can get a brand new wheel here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...97GEN2PDKKnobs

Last edited by 987spydr; 03-13-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the insight 987Spyder!

So I called my local Porsche dealership and they have never retro-fitted a "Sport" Steering wheel onto a car, so the service manager even told me he wasn't sure what else would be needed to get the wheel to work...

He actually told me to research online forums that guys on here may know more about this procedure than he would!

So I think I'll start a new Thread inquiring if anyone has done this mod before.

Once again thanks for all the input! : )

Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !

So I called my local Porsche dealership and they have never retro-fitted a "Sport" Steering wheel onto a car, so the service manager even told me he wasn't sure what else would be needed to get the wheel to work...

He actually told me to research online forums that guys on here may know more about this procedure than he would!

So I think I'll start a new Thread inquiring if anyone has done this mod before.

Check over on the 997 Turbo Forum...There are lots of discussions and DIY, as well as people who change out their wheels. Some are quite simple and some require PIWIS Programming. Of note ALWAYS disconnect the battery before popping out the airbag, or you will get a CEL that has to be reset.

Good luck
DC

Last edited by therock88; 04-21-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:06 AM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light

TECHART has a paddle shifters retrofit which convert your wheel to a proper left downshift right upshift paddle.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:19 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
Is there any way using PIWIS or even aftermarket scanner to see how many times Launch Control was in use on particular Porsche car ?