Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 AM
pal joey is on a distinguished road
Summer tires

greetings.....

im looking to pick up a porsche. i was looking at c.p.o. 911 first but all have summer tires. i cant find all seasons except for 18 inch boxster.

if i dont go with all season im considering running summers year round.
i dont want summer and winter tires, because of cost, storeage, and swapping them out twice a year and dont want to park my car for the winter. i know all season would reduce performance, but im willing to accept that.

i have never had summer tires, and so i have no experience with them.
im looking for those who lives in areas where temps drop and who run them year round with limitations.

putting the car away for 4 to 5 months, or buying , storing, and twice a year swapping out a second set is not gonna work for me, as i clearly dont have the tolerance for either of those choices

im retired . i dont have to drive , i drive when i want. and when i do i average only around 4,000 miles per year .the porsche wont be on the road in any snow or wet road conditions when the temps are low.

im looking for info on how summer tires would perform under those conditions. colder temps, dry road , no highway driving, local streets with speeds under 30 mph. anybody been there done that?

yesterday i was speaking to a guy in my old firehouse . he has a c6 vette that came from the factory with summers. he used the car year round here in n.y.c. with limitations like i stated above . when they wore down he went with all season.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
Summer tires generally do not perform well at temps near/below freezing. I have driven my cars with summer tires when the air temp was in the low-30s and found some real traction issues when starting off from a stop and taking any sort of corners at something more than very slow speed at least until the tires warmed up a bit....even then, they exhibited compromised performance.

If you plan to drive the car in cold weather, but no snow, then I recommend you look at performance all-season tires as a compromise. You can run them year-round but the tires will not provide the same level of handling performance that a pure summer tire will.

If you only plan to 'cruise' with your Porsche then all-season tires would work fine for your purposes.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:03 AM
pal joey is on a distinguished road
thank you