Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming back to Porsche! Carbon ceramic brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Coming back to Porsche! Carbon ceramic brakes?

Hi all!
I've been away for several years, porscheless, but coming back to the
community and specing a Cayman. What do people think about the pros and
cons of carbon ceramic brakes?

I will be street and autocross only.

The salesman said the rotors would never die, and at 60k miles, I'd spend
$2k on new pads.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 12-04-2015, 12:30 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
OK, I did some searches (too excited to do it before posting! )
and I hear that for track they are great but will be expensive to
replace and you will have to, after a while. For street and autocross
they should last fine, but there are also stories of the occasional
rock between pad and rotor, destroying them both...

Old 12-07-2015, 08:21 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Break Dust is the best reason to get PCCB, will be non existent !!!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:55 PM
caymanR is on a distinguished road
The recent Car & Driver 10 Best issue describes how they would configure their favorites, and they said to pass on the PCCB. They felt the standard brakes were excellent.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi all!
I've been away for several years, porscheless, but coming back to the
community and specing a Cayman. What do people think about the pros and
cons of carbon ceramic brakes?

I will be street and autocross only.

The salesman said the rotors would never die, and at 60k miles, I'd spend
$2k on new pads.

Thanks,
Joe
BS if you track your car you will wear out your rooters, most guys that track porsches get steel brakes unless you want to spend 20k to replace. If you go to a track like Laguna Seca you will replace your pads every 5-6 track days and you will be lucky to get 10-12 days in your ceramics

Old 12-10-2015, 04:30 PM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
I own an 06 Cayman S with PCCB. If you only plan to street and auto-X, you can expect the rotor to last for many many years of use. Brake pads cost ~$700 for both axles, just check Suncoast. Pads have a long life with PCCB, especially for street/auto-X. Don't buy aftermarket pads, the Porsche pads are best for assuring long life on the street. The Porsche pads are great on the street, auto-x, and track. Pad replacement is easy on 987.1 as they only require removal of 1-pin to pull the pads out. I can do the pad change on all 4 corners faster than the time it takes to jack up the car and remove the wheels.

Rotor life will be significantly reduced if you track the car. Some posts talk about wear out after 8-10 track days. This is very dependent on the track and driver. I have 10 track days (Limerock, Watkins Glen) on my PCCBs and they are still going strong. Wear out is not measured by rotor thickness. Porsche dealer must measure the carbon content of the rotor to judge wear.

I will go to steel once the rotors wear out. $2400 for Giro disc direct replacement + Pads.

Last edited by matt2ace; 12-10-2015 at 04:33 PM.