Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman - A marketing Success Story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:15 PM
BAD ASH is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by JP-S-St.Louis
What Porsche has yet to do which would be the ultimate Booster and sales is a Mid Engined 911.
A mid engine 2 seater 911 would be to die for. this would improve handling, performace and do great for sales. "quote" BADASH

They do make one that handels better and has a better power to weight ratio. It is called the Cayman. The rear engine will give way to the mid -engine as a true SPORTS CAR. What would you rather have a GT3 or a Cayman powered by a GT3? My guess if you took the Pepsi challange it would be the Cayman.

I was not crazy about the looks of the Cayman but after seeing the new 997TT. WOW give me that Techart Cayman with the 3.8.
That's what I'm talking about, the Cayman will kill 911 sales.
Imagine a cayman RS

I found out on Coke trivia instead of the Pesi challenge.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Bad Ash,
You bring up some very good points. While I called it marketing genius for the Cayman (which I still believe), it may be marketing stupidity for the 911. They may have placed this better performing, better balanced, mid-engine car too close to the 997 and, as a result, they may hurt the sales significantly.

I'm jiggy with it. I'm fly with your message. You've got my respect.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Bad Ash,
I've just got to know what is in your Avatar?

Dave

Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 PM
BAD ASH is infamous around these parts
993 gemballa Extremo.

www.gemballa.com
toward the bottom of the pics of the models.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 PM
mbodo is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Dave
Bad Ash,
Thanks for helping me to make my case. A few more hp (because we all know the 3.4L is the same block as the 3.2L), a slightly tighter spring set, a lot things you can't remember, and.....and.....and......and........MARKETING!!!
.. anything to keep the cash flow going. Marketing force that keeps the wheel going round and round...

Being a neophyte to P-Cars, (and not having read the technical specs on the new Boxsters & Caymans) ... does this mean one can expect a stroker kit to displace the extra .2 litres out of our 3.2's?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Mbodo,
Yes, the marketing force. It adds about 10hp.

There are many on this board that can swap out your motor for those extra .2L in about a half an hour.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
There are many on this board that can swap out your motor for those extra .2L in about a half an hour.
½hr and $8k later for 10HP .. I think I'll put a "Powered by Porsche" sticker on it, those are good for 2HP each.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Maybe we should start calling the Boxster "A Cayman Cabriolet"?

Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Maybe we should start calling the Boxster "A Cayman Cabriolet"?
..good idea, so that way, they can charge the premium for it being a cabriolet as opposed to a hardtop coupe. Genius! You've just bumped the price point of a plain old Boxster S over that of a Cayman S by mere semantics

Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
mbodo,
Great idea!.......Ummm.............wait a minute..............if we do that and price the Cayman hardtop below the Cayman Cabriolet, then haven't we, in essence, made the Boxster hardtop, er I mean Cayman hardtop a more affordable car fo rthe masses than the Boxster Convertible, er I mean the Cayman Convertible?

My job is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Turbo Dave,
When you were in Germany were you in an institution, or an outpatient.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Doctor K
Turbo Dave,

Thats great!

Dave, I am usually right with you buddy but this time you have lost me. (and the knee bone is connected to thigh bone la la la la)

Last edited by JP-S-St.Louis; 01-11-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Doc and Josh,
Yeah, my head is spinning too. This thread has gone full circle.

Maybe I should just give up..... Can't wait to drive one of those F+ckers to see what all the hoopla is about!

Old 01-13-2006, 04:47 AM
MIB
MIB is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Doctor K
Turbo Dave,

Good one Doc.

But you have to write on the Bottle for Dave to take his meds EVERYDAY.
LOL J/K Dave.

I too can't wait to get my Butt-o-meter into one of these little pocket rockets. We'll soon see if its Hoop lah or Woop de doo.

MJ

Old 01-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Marx is infamous around these parts
I drove the Cayman shortly after it was released and got back into my 987 Boxster after that to have a direct comparism. And while everyone tells you how damn stiff the Cayman is, I highly doubt that these guys took the Cayman in situations where they could actually feel the better stiffness of the Cayman. So most people don't even know what they're talking about from their own experience, but keep on telling the tales they've heard from other (more experienced) people. That's also why Porsche keeps on presenting new cars by Walter Röhrl, who's considered a "Driving Legend" in Germany.

Anyway... I had the Cayman on difficult roads... and it's true that it feels SLIGHTLY better than the Boxster. But the differences are too marginal to be noticed in everyday driving situations (i.e. in 99% of all driving on public roads).

I keep my Boxster... but I'll go for that hot looking Cayman frontbumper and maybe add some performance mods at some point in the future..., to make my 987 a true Cayman cabrio.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayman - A marketing Success Story