Installing Rear tow hooks for trailering - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Notices
Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.

Installing Rear tow hooks for trailering

Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Docwise is on a distinguished road
Installing Rear tow hooks for trailering

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to install rear tow hooks underneath my 2014 cayman s.
I'll be trailering her to track events and I would rather not use the straps on my wheels. and is it possible to install
them under the front as well? thanks

Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond repute
There should be a threaded hole for a toe hook under the license plate.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM
rear tow hooks installation

thanks but I want to install hooks underneath for trailer tie downs.
any thoughts on that?

Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Macster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Docwise View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for where to install rear tow hooks underneath my 2014 cayman s.
I'll be trailering her to track events and I would rather not use the straps on my wheels. and is it possible to install
them under the front as well? thanks
Both my Boxster and Turbo were flat bedded some miles (the Turbo about 600 miles once) using a strap wrapped around each wheel and there was no sign of any damage to the wheels afterwards. If you have your own set of straps you can keep them cleaner than the ones the tow truck operators used.

If you want some extra protection, you can use straps through the wheels but wrap the straps with heavy bath towels to protect the wheels.

Trailered my Boxster 2K miles and used a rental trailer which had canvas webbing that fit over the tires/wheels to hold the car down. I used a safety chain wrapped around something under the car.

Looked something like this:

If you don't want to do that, about the only place under the car to possibly use to hold the car to a trailer is the under body lifting points. These are used to strap/chain the car to the floor of the cargo ship during shipment. Not sure what the end that connects to the car looks like.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:55 PM
thanks for the feedback

Old 03-16-2019, 04:08 AM
Ubermensch is on a distinguished road
Rennline has a popular setup

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tie-Downs-set-of-2/productinfo/E04/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-16-2019 at 02:28 PM.