Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the normal delivery wait?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:06 AM
Little Gator will become famous soon enough
What is the normal delivery wait?

If I were to order a 718 Boxster, how long will it be until it would be ready for me to go bring it home?
I am not sure if I believe the car salesperson's timeline. Do salespeople give short schedules knowing once they have us on the hook, that we will then wait and listen to all kinds of excuses for why it is delayed?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM
EuroKip is an unknown quantity at this point
90 days

[QUOTE=Little Gator;4780954]If I were to order a 718 Boxster, how long will it be until it would be ready for me to go bring it home?
I am not sure if I believe the car salesperson's timeline. Do salespeople give short schedules knowing once they have us on the hook, that we will then wait and listen to all kinds of excuses for why it is delayed?[/QUOTE

Old 05-07-2019, 01:55 PM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Ordered my 981 GTS in June, 2015 and it was delivered in November 2015 as a 2016 model. In between I had to threaten the dealer to pull the order in July As there was no information available on a build date. Dealer GM traded a 911 GTS build slot for a 981 GTS build slot to get the build in early October 2015. Lots of variables. You need to find a dealer sales rep that you can trust (at least as much as possible).

Old 05-08-2019, 08:00 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Little Gator
If I were to order a 718 Boxster, how long will it be until it would be ready for me to go bring it home?
I am not sure if I believe the car salesperson's timeline. Do salespeople give short schedules knowing once they have us on the hook, that we will then wait and listen to all kinds of excuses for why it is delayed?
Everything a car salesman tells you is intended to get you to buy the car ASAP and to pay as much for the car as possible.

A short delivery schedule falls into the above.

I've never ordered a car but looked into it a bit. The advice is to ask what the expected delivery date is, add some fudge factor (double the estimated time to delivery; if you can live with that then you can probably live with ordering the car and waiting for it to show up...), then get it in writing that if the car is not done, if not ready to pick up by that time you can get your deposit back and walk. However, the dealer can't be held responsible for something out of its control. The dealer could tell you 6 weeks and that is based on what every other car ordered took to arrive but the factory suffers a shutdown due to some problem and car production is stalled/delayed. That's not the dealer's fault.

About all you can do is try to protect yourself against a dealer that takes your order, a deposit, then drops the ball, either on purpose or by accident, and some time later when the car is not in your hands tries to take advantage of you and sell you another car counting on your desire to be just done with this.

The other risk is you agree to order a car and the car arrives but the dealer sells it to another buyer. This is more likely to happen if you have managed to order the car for a good price off of MSRP. However, it can happen even if the car was ordered at MSRP. Unless you have some binding agreement in place *before* you order this can and does happen.

The problem is dealers are not really set up to have at hand the paperwork/forms to allow you to tie the dealer's hands, to introduce a performance clause in the sales contract and have it have any teeth to enforce it should the dealer violate this clause, even for things the dealer has some control over.

Guess you could ask the salesman -- or really better yet, the sales manager/general manager -- about what you can do before you order the car to protect yourself in the event the car is delayed and for too long. But unless you have something in writing months from now only you may vaguely recall what was said.