Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Boxster S vs STi vs Srt 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Kinesis 996 is on a distinguished road
03 Boxster S vs STi vs Srt 4

So i recently had a car cruise with my friends. We went to an empty highway and had a little drag race. We have a Dodge Srt4 with Mopar stage 2 full bolt on. Stock Sti, and i m driving my mom's Boxster S with the GHL exhaust.

Traditional street race with the 3 honk system. To my surprise the Boxster S was the fastest of the three. Pretty much the STi have no chance of keeping up during high speed but the Boxster S was dead even with the Srt 4 until after 190kph when i started to pull on him. We went up to 240 or so and we shut it off. The Srt 4 only have the driver himself and i was with my girlfriend who was sitting beside me. I think if i was only driving by myself the result would be a little better. Overall i m very impressed with the S performance. I wasn't expecting a win in the first place.

I have a STi at home but somehow my Sti seems quite a bit faster than my mom's Boxster S. However, because i have downpipe and exhaust plus some weight reduction maybe that is the reason why it feel slower in the S??? Whenever i drive the Boxster S it never seem like a fast car until that recent drag race. The result really surprised me. It seems that the power doesn't really come on until high rpm at highway speed because it really lack low end torque.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:49 PM
easyc is on a distinguished road
The 986S is VERY fast from a third gear start at around 70 mph... you will pull on even somewhat modded Sti's, evos, 350z, and others of course... The car is geared well and the high rpm and power delievery is very good for high speed stuff... from a dead stop verse some of those all wheel drive cars is a different story... launching the boxster S is an adventure.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by easyc
launching the boxster S is an adventure.
try it with an extra 70+ hp. 1st is useless and going into 2nd can spin you around if the ground is wet.

Good run BTW and be safe!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 AM
I wish I could feel it with an extra 70... if you are ever ANY where near the TN-KY-OH area let me know... I think if I had one ride in your car I would buy the IA supercharger in a second

Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
My off is still up to anyone thats wants to see what it is like and you are in Seattle look me up!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Kinesis 996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JP-S-St.Louis
My off is still up to anyone thats wants to see what it is like and you are in Seattle look me up!
Yes i feel the exact same difficulity when launching the Boxster S. It just kept on axle hoping. Why is that?? I feel it somewhat the same with my dad's TT as well. This is weird because my other rear wheel drive car don't have this kind of problem.

JP-S-St.Louis, i will be attending the PCA event in Seattle at the SIR race track sometime in the summer. Would love to get a look or possible ride in your car.

Thinking to get an Evo intake for the S, is it worth the money and do u feel a difference in terms of performance?

Last edited by Kinesis 996; 02-12-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Kinesis 996
Thinking to get an Evo intake for the S, is it worth the money and do u feel a difference in terms of performance?
Definitely will hear a difference ... you will need to reflash your ECU to get real noticeable change in performance though.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Just a boxster?
Originally Posted by easyc
Definitely will hear a difference ... you will need to reflash your ECU to get real noticeable change in performance though.
X2 on that....

Kineses 996 PM me before the event and you can have seat time

Old 02-13-2007, 03:24 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Your sti feels faster then the S because it is. It doesn’t take a lot to make those cars very fast. I would still take a Porsche, or a euro car in general before I would get a Japanese car. The Boxster isn’t meant to drag race, or even to do highway runs. It is a momentum-based car. When put into the right hands it has a lot of potential around the corners. You can try anything you want to a Boxster, but your still gonna end up with 250-260hp car. They are just not big hp cars, that’s why they are a momentum based car. If you want a high hp beast get a 911. The dyno is the scientific test, but the driver’s seat is the only one I pay attention too. Both don’t lie. You can strap anything to the 2.5, 2.7 or 3.2 and it’s not the same as doing something like a DP to a turbo car. Porsche engineers sent them out the doors pretty close to their limit. Unless you do the 996 swap, don’t think it’s a super car. I would take a mid Porsche with a 911 engine any day. They already handle great, just imagine having real power.

The hopping and chattering of the rear end is thanks to the clutch type limited slip. They have very clunky engagement when compared to a Torsen based unit. Around a track with some good tires you wouldn’t get that type of feedback. It’s cool that you get to compare two cars with the boxer design. I’d stick with the Porsche and maybe someday you can get into an awd Carrara, and compare that to the sti.