New Emission testing - Ontario and 200 Cell Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Chimcu is a jewel in the roughChimcu is a jewel in the roughChimcu is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jumper5836
OBD has 4-5 monitors. That require drive cycle time to be set. When OBD is reset these monitors show up as "not ready". How long it takes to become set is a mystery but would be based on time based on driving cycles that the computer is monitoring.

They don't really have to enforce it because if you didn't drive the car long enough your OBD monitors would read not ready and then you fail the test.

ah.. that explains it.. now a little worried about my fabspeed xcat 200 cel and gundo hack.. wondering if I'll pass the test

Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Chimcu
ah.. that explains it.. now a little worried about my fabspeed xcat 200 cel and gundo hack.. wondering if I'll pass the test
My fabspeed xpipe 200 cell passed the old test on my C4S. The new test just reads the obd. If your check engine light doesn't come on then it should have no problems.

Though my check engine light does come on once in a blue moon. Seems to do it when I am taking it easy and cruising in a higher gear at a lower rpm.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Chimcu is a jewel in the roughChimcu is a jewel in the roughChimcu is a jewel in the rough
My fabspeed xpipe 200 cell passed the old test on my C4S. The new test just reads the obd. If your check engine light doesn't come on then it should have no problems.

Though my check engine light does come on once in a blue moon. Seems to do it when I am taking it easy and cruising in a higher gear at a lower rpm.
Mine comes off often.. I wonder why.. I even have the oxygen extension on.. 1 set only .. hmm I might have to do an ECU tune

Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
timbit x is on a distinguished road
I heard some guys have to do an ECU tune with the X-Pipe. Chimcu, you have stock headers? Any intake?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by timbit x
I heard some guys have to do an ECU tune with the X-Pipe. Chimcu, you have stock headers? Any intake?
Yes in some Cases you have to. Specially when Cats get Older. When i did Fabspeed Cat Pipes on mine, it was not untill 1-2 year later i got CEL. Eventually i got EVOMSit Tune to work with the Set Up i have and now no CEL.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by timbit x

yeah got stock headers.. dont' see a value add since mine is a non S.. I'm just waiting to do the ECU tune..

Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
timbit x is on a distinguished road
The good news - With the ECU you should be getting near S power.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM
doing some research on that.. EVOMSIT or Softronic? no need to remove the ECU with Softronic and the ability to put back to stock at any given time

Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 PM
colombiano is on a distinguished road
You can also take your vehicle through a ‘generic drive cycle’:

Step 1: Make sure the vehicle has been parked for eight hours without a start.

Step 2: Start the engine and let it idle in Drive for two-and-a-half minutes with the Air Conditioning (A/C) and rear defroster on.

Step 3: Turn the A/C and rear defroster off. Drive the vehicle for 10 minutes at highway speeds.

Step 4: Drive the vehicle for 20 minutes in stop-and-go traffc.

Step 5: Your drive cycle is complete. You can now go in for your test.
Thank you for that info, car I was about to buy 997.1 S failed emissions as it was not ready for both catalyst and evavorative system. What a PITA I will get seller to try that and see if it goes through. The Place I was at mentioned emissions test failures have gone up 500% crazy!

All ready to pull the trigger and had to come home empty handed. Not a good feeling at all! But did not want to take risk of not passing.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Was very close to call of the deal as Seller could not get it to pass after several attempts. He was also very skeptical of hearing me talk about something test that the dealer didn't even know about. I purchased a ODBDII reader and caused a code on my bmw and reset it and did the test on it which I got all systems to be ready except evap which made sense.

I walked the seller through what he had to do step by step with the ODBDII unit hooked up and voila! Finally Catalyst was ready. Emissions tested passed and finally got the car

I talked to a few people and looks like this new system is chaos and not many people are advise of the right info. Interesting article below

http://www.wheels.ca/news/drive-clea...big-headaches/

Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Congrats! I talked to my mechanic and he said Porsche's are very quick to ready up unlike other cars.
What a pita these whole drive clean thing in anyways.

I heard that some ECU tunes mess with the monitors as well and they never ready up, so you fail emissions.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM
hmm.. zookie.. when are you due for your next emissions test.. I wanna see if you'll pass w/ your ecu tune.. anyone else got an ecu tune and pass/fail?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Congrats! I talked to my mechanic and he said Porsche's are very quick to ready up unlike other cars.
What a pita these whole drive clean thing in anyways.

I heard that some ECU tunes mess with the monitors as well and they never ready up, so you fail emissions.
Thank you! It wasn't that quick as seller put on some time driving it and he could take 3 times to do emissions and it still not ready. I think would take some time if your daily driving and there is so many things to consider as everyone drives differently. I am glad I didn't pass up the deal.

I realized I may have hijacked thread with my info and apologize.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
update I passed my test, 996 C4S fabspeed xpipe and giac tune. Battery was put in after storage and I drove 100km from storage to the test.

My Catalyst status said "not ready"
All the rest where ready or not applicable.

The new test allows for 1 monitor to be "Not Ready" on 2001 or newer cars and allows 2 monitors on earlier cars. This is why I got a pass with one monitor "not ready".