Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

List of Porsche Approved Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Triple B is on a distinguished road
List of Porsche Approved Tires

Guy Guys,
Does anybody have a list of Porsche approve tires for the Cayenne? I am having a transmission down shift problem and the dealer says that it is most likely caused my by the 75% worn out Kumho Ecsta tires (I hate these tires) and the PSM. The dealer can not warranty the down shift problem until I replace the tires.
I have a family member who work for Yokohama and I would like you use them if possible. I want to make sure the Yokos are approved so I can get the warranty work done.
BTW I bought the Cayenne used with the Kumhos already installed and have not had and down shifting problems until a few months ago. About the same time I rotated the tires.
Thanks

Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 AM
2008cayenne is on a distinguished road
The last thing you want is to spend money on a new set of tires only to discover that the problem persists and the dealer is not prepared to honor the warranty. I would suggest getting the list of "approved tires" (if there is such a thing) from the dealer himself.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by 2008cayenne
The last thing you want is to spend money on a new set of tires only to discover that the problem persists and the dealer is not prepared to honor the warranty. I would suggest getting the list of "approved tires" (if there is such a thing) from the dealer himself.
I agree but the service advisor did not have the magic tire list. I was hoping a 6speeder would know were the list is.
My Yokohama contact says they spent a lot of money to get there tires approved by Porcshe but they do not have the N rating.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan_st.pdf

Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Mpowered is on a distinguished road
if they dont have the approved list, i dont see how they can say that your kumho tires are excluded from the list that they don't have.

its logically impossible.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:02 PM
mlc.design is on a distinguished road
Continental, Dunlop, Perelli, Michelin

Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 PM
geoff w is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Triple B
I agree but the service advisor did not have the magic tire list. I was hoping a 6speeder would know were the list is.
My Yokohama contact says they spent a lot of money to get there tires approved by Porcshe but they do not have the N rating.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan_st.pdf
Tell your service advisor to read TSB 01/07, number 4440, "Approved Tires, Wheels and Spacers (As of 2008)", dated Apr 9, 2007, or TSB 4/07, number 4440, "Approved Tires, Wheels and Spacers (As of 2003 up to 2006), dated Nov 5, 2007. [You didn't say which year or model Cayenne]. Depending on the wheel diameter, there are different approved tires. I've got the 19" Continentals on my '08 S and haven't been overly impressed, but then again, I'm used to driving a Boxster and Carrera

From overhearing a conversation with a customer last week while waiting for my service advisor, you will need to have Porsche "N rated" tires if they are insisting on Porsche approved rubber. The Tire Rack explanation of Porsche's N-rated propaganda at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Cannoli is on a distinguished road
And what SoCal Porsche dealer told you this? Do tell ...

Also, what wheels are you trying to fit tires to? What is the current tire size of your lovely Kuhmo Ecstas?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Mpowered
if they dont have the approved list, i dont see how they can say that your kumho tires are excluded from the list that they don't have.

its logically impossible.
I now have the list......The first guy I taked to did not have it......I guess they needed to look it up
The Kumho are not "N Rated"

Last edited by Triple B; 05-20-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by geoff w
Tell your service advisor to read TSB 01/07, number 4440, "Approved Tires, Wheels and Spacers (As of 2008)", dated Apr 9, 2007, or TSB 4/07, number 4440, "Approved Tires, Wheels and Spacers (As of 2003 up to 2006), dated Nov 5, 2007. [You didn't say which year or model Cayenne]. Depending on the wheel diameter, there are different approved tires. I've got the 19" Continentals on my '08 S and haven't been overly impressed, but then again, I'm used to driving a Boxster and Carrera

From overhearing a conversation with a customer last week while waiting for my service advisor, you will need to have Porsche "N rated" tires if they are insisting on Porsche approved rubber. The Tire Rack explanation of Porsche's N-rated propaganda at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26
Thanks Geoff W
It is an 05 Cayenne with the 18" wheels.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Cannoli
And what SoCal Porsche dealer told you this? Do tell ...

Also, what wheels are you trying to fit tires to? What is the current tire size of your lovely Kuhmo Ecstas?

I think it is a Porsche policy not a the dealer feeding me a line of BS..... I also talked to an indy mechanic and he said he has heard of this also.

To answer your question it is Circle in Long Beach......and they have been helpful (once I got the the right service advisor)

The POS Kuhmo's are 255 / 55 / 18 and they are on stock wheels

Thanks everybody for all your help.......Off to the tire shop to get a new set of rubber. I will let you know if the tires fix the down shift problem.
Thanks again

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Precision is on a distinguished road
Hate to tell you this, but I have a strong feeling the problem will still be there. I think the dealer is trying to weasel their way out of a warranty issue. I highly doubt the brand of tire is causing a down shifting problem. If you had the wrong SIZE tire than it would be a different story. Good luck either way.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Precisionmotors
Hate to tell you this, but I have a strong feeling the problem will still be there. I think the dealer is trying to weasel their way out of a warranty issue. I highly doubt the brand of tire is causing a down shifting problem. If you had the wrong SIZE tire than it would be a different story. Good luck either way.
I agree.......But if I want it fixed I have to play there game.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
I agree.......But if I want it fixed I have to play there game.
Your tires are 75% gone anyhow, you are not losing very much by trying.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by paulycw
Your tires are 75% gone anyhow, you are not losing very much by trying.

Good luck.
I am not to upset.....I get rid of the loud crappy Kuhmos and get it fixed under warranty...........I just wish I could use my Yokohama deal. Oh well

Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM
geoff w is on a distinguished road
I am not to upset.....I get rid of the loud crappy Kuhmos and get it fixed under warranty...........I just wish I could use my Yokohama deal. Oh well
I was just at the dealer again today for service - trying to get a problem fixed and a couple of other new car niggles. Sitting right in the service writer office was a stack of Porsche pamphlets on Porsche approved tires. It's no secret what the approved tire list is

If you can't use your Yoko connection, I've found America's Tire (AKA Discount Tire outside of So. Cal) will beat anybody's price, whether Tire Rack, Costco, or wherever. Just bring in prices for comps so you come across as knowledgeable and having done your homework instead of just asking for charity. I've saved a fortune on tires for my Boxster, Carrera and other lesser cars that way. The stores in the better parts of town tend to do a better job handling nicer cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: List of Porsche Approved Tires