Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne or Cayenne S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Cayenne or Cayenne S?

Before all of you automatically say Cayenne S , consider these factors:

My primary car will still be my 996 turbo S and I only live a few miles from work. Im not going to say the Cayenne will be my daily driver, because that's what I want to use my turbo for. I enjoy driving it everyday. If I could approximate, id probably end up driving the cayenne 2 days a week on average.

What the Cayenne will be used for is moving stuff, hockey, family visits when you need the 4 seater, and driving in the rain. It'll be nice having another car you can take on the occasional long trip up to LA and not worry about leaving it in the parking lot for the day or over night.

Anyways, if I had more garage space I probably wouldnt even be asking this question.. id just get the CS. However, I dont... my one car garage is full. Whatever cayenne I get will sit outside and bake in the california sun 365 days out of the year, so im thinking it would probably be better to just get a base cayenne and not worry about it.

I guess this question is directed more towards base Cayenne owners, because im sure the CS would have enough power to tool around for my needs. Does the base Cayenne have enough grunt to drive safely and comfortably around town or do you guys wish you got the S?

my longest post on 6speed ever,

Aaron

*edit* Btw, im looking at either a 05/06 cayenne/cayenne S.

Last edited by acf; 07-11-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 AM
EvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these parts
You know you're getting the S, right?
I already know

Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Banned
CRN955 is on a distinguished road
Cayenne is to heavy for the V6.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:31 AM
babypimpin is a splendid one to beholdbabypimpin is a splendid one to beholdbabypimpin is a splendid one to beholdbabypimpin is a splendid one to beholdbabypimpin is a splendid one to beholdbabypimpin is a splendid one to behold
what is your definition about "enough power"? I mean, does your TurboS have "enough power"? lol...its relative..

Now I dont own a C and have never driven one, but i'm sure it should be enough muscle to tut around town more than adequately....

the 290hp and 272lbs of torque should be enough to pull that enough to get you to hockey safely i'm sure...

You're gonna be driving it 2 days a week...and its gonna be baking in the 100 degree weather through the summer...save the extra money to put towards your Lambo haha

Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 AM
cellg8 is on a distinguished road
IMHO:

Cayenne S > Audi Q7 > VW Touareg > Cayenne V6 in terms of getting your money's worth...

Last edited by cellg8; 07-11-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
The only thing is the 05/06 cayenne only has 250 hp. It's the newer facelift ones that have 290...

Originally Posted by babypimpin
what is your definition about "enough power"? I mean, does your TurboS have "enough power"? lol...its relative..

Now I dont own a C and have never driven one, but i'm sure it should be enough muscle to tut around town more than adequately....

the 290hp and 272lbs of torque should be enough to pull that enough to get you to hockey safely i'm sure...

You're gonna be driving it 2 days a week...and its gonna be baking in the 100 degree weather through the summer...save the extra money to put towards your Lambo haha

Old 07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
2008cayenne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Before all of you automatically say Cayenne S , consider these factors:

My primary car will still be my 996 turbo S and I only live a few miles from work. Im not going to say the Cayenne will be my daily driver, because that's what I want to use my turbo for. I enjoy driving it everyday. If I could approximate, id probably end up driving the cayenne 2 days a week on average.

What the Cayenne will be used for is moving stuff, hockey, family visits when you need the 4 seater, and driving in the rain. It'll be nice having another car you can take on the occasional long trip up to LA and not worry about leaving it in the parking lot for the day or over night.

Anyways, if I had more garage space I probably wouldnt even be asking this question.. id just get the CS. However, I dont... my one car garage is full. Whatever cayenne I get will sit outside and bake in the california sun 365 days out of the year, so im thinking it would probably be better to just get a base cayenne and not worry about it.

I guess this question is directed more towards base Cayenne owners, because im sure the CS would have enough power to tool around for my needs. Does the base Cayenne have enough grunt to drive safely and comfortably around town or do you guys wish you got the S?

my longest post on 6speed ever,

Aaron

*edit* Btw, im looking at either a 05/06 cayenne/cayenne S.
This is really a personal choice I suggest you test drive both vehicles to decide...

I know many CS/turbo owners are not going to agree but.... From 2002 to 2006 I owned an MB ML500. It was a new V8 272 hp engine. The consensus amongst car magazines at that time was that it was one of the best engines at that time. I did not (and do not) race my cars and this engine had more than ample power for me. The acceleration was great and I loved it. In my opinion the V6 cayenne for a daily drive is enough. This horse power insanity (perpetuated by the automobile industry) is going to stop very soon due to the continued increases in oil prices.

I suspect that the difference on a resale between V6/CS is not very big but either way I suggest you save your money (both on the purchase and later on gas) and help the environment by buying the V6.

my 2 cents...

Old 07-11-2008, 04:52 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
The only thing is the 05/06 cayenne only has 250 hp. It's the newer facelift ones that have 290...
Cayenne S if you are going with the 05/06 model. The price delta is really not that large on a used car.

More importantly, with the torque you are used to on the 996TT the 6 banger is going to feel very slow.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
cs or Q7 instead of v6

Old 07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
I have an 04 CS, its my daily driver. It gets sun 365 days a year. The price differences probably wont be as much between the two models, so I would go with the S because with a full car, hauling, the v6 will definitely feel sluggish and you might want the extra torque/responsiveness on long trips.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
If you've decided on the Cayenne and since you're in L.A. (no mountains) then the base is okay. Otherwise I would tell you to get a Touareg V8 and have the best of both worlds for 6-10K less. V8, 310 hp. You'll be happier with the speed and performance than with the base C.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:44 PM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
I don't understand two things about these discussions:
1. What's the difference if a pre-owned C or a pre-owned CS bakes in the sun? Either way, the vehicle's still baking and the relatively small difference in value between the two will still be the same. In fact, I could argue that you're better with the CS baking because I believe a S will be easier to sell when you're done with it than a C will.
2. If you have a wonderful 996 Turbo you drive most of the time, you're used to power and performance. Why give any more of that up than you need to in your other vehicle? I want something fun to drive every time I go to drive, not just sometimes. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
acf
Thanks everyone for their input. I just got back from test driving an 05 cayenne S today. Felt very taut for an SUV, I wasnt expecting that. Power seems to be totally adequate for day to day use.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 PM
bumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond repute
You better get the S, otherwise everytime I see you in the neighborhood I'll tell my wife to race you

Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 PM
mlc.design is on a distinguished road
Take it from a V6 owner get the S !

haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne or Cayenne S?