Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Physical differences between Turbo and Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Physical differences between Turbo and Turbo S?

I just got back from the dealer where I test drove a 2009 Turbo. I'm SOLD on the upgrade from the GTS. Definitely going for it!
I didn't drive the Turbo S -- can someone please let me know the differences in the Turbo and Turbo S?
I realize the S has 50HP more, but I asked them and they said the turbos are physically the same its just a tuning difference to get the 50HP more.

So couldn't I technically duplicate that with an aftermarket tune that would #1. get me to 50HP extra, and #2. go beyond that and match a modified Turbo S -- OR is there something physically different that makes the S faster either way?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
btw, the color combo is Black / Terracota and boy is it hot!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
What price do you guys suggest I should be shooting for on it? They got me @ full msrp on my GTS when I could've gotten discounts just a few months ago, I'm not gonna do it again.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Here is what I had listed from when I compared

Turbo
  • MSRP: $97,700
  • PDCC: $3,510
  • Front Intakes Painted Exterior Color: $1,200
  • Two-tone Interior Leather: $1,510
  • Thicker Two-Tone Steering Wheel: $985
  • 21" Wheels with Arch Extensions: $3,995
  • Carbon Fiber or Wood Trim: $345
  • Porsche Crests in Headrest: $285
  • Porsche Crest on Wheels Center Caps: $185

Turbo S
  • MSRP: $123,600
  • PDCC: standard
  • Front Intakes Painted Exterior Color: standard
  • Two-tone Interior Leather: standard
  • Thicker Two-Tone Steering Wheel: standard
  • 21" Wheels with Arch Extensions: standard
  • Carbon Fiber or Wood Trim: standard
  • Porsche Crests in Headrest: standard
  • Porsche Crest on Wheels Center Caps: standard

You can easily flash your Turbo ECU to get from the 500 HP/516 lb-ft to surpass the 550 HP/553 lb-ft on the Turbo S but you will lose your engine warranty. 500 HP is probably fine for most. If you need more, you may as well go for a lot more.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
And from the order guide...

Cayenne Turbo
Model Year 2009 Standard Equipment includes:
Engine
500 hp, 516 lb ft torque – 4.8 liter, water cooled 8 cylinder, aluminum alloy engine block & cylinder heads, front engine.
32 valve, direct injection system. 2 exhaust turbochargers. Engine Management System SDI 4.1 with electronic throttle. Continuously
variable intake camshaft phasing and valve lift switching (Variocam Plus). Cylinder specific knock control. Integrated dry sump lubrication.
Additional piston and water cooling for the turbochargers. Exhaust system with 2 matte silver finish dual tailpipes integrated in lower rear tail
section.
Power Transmission
6-speed Tiptronic S with Porsche Hill Holder and shift on the move. All wheel drive.
Chassis and Suspension
19” alloy Cayenne Design wheels, 275/45 R19. Summer performance tires. TPMS – Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Puncture sealing
compound and electric compressor. 19” Collapsible spare tire. Speed sensitive variable assist power steering. Air suspension with load
leveling system and height adjustment. Front and rear stabilizer bars. PSM (Porsche Stability Management) with ABS (Anti lock Braking
System), ASR (Anti Slip Regulation), ABD (Automatic Brake Differential), EDTC (Engine Drag Torque Control) and PASM (Porsche Active
Suspension Management). Double wishbone front axle, multilink rear axle.
Braking System
6-Piston fixed aluminum monoblock red calipers– front, 4-Piston fixed aluminum monoblock red calipers – rear. Anti Lock Braking System
with braking readiness function and Brake Assist. Brake pad wear indicators, foot operated parking brake.
Body
5 Doors. Underbody paneling. Black, high gloss tailgate trim. Rear window of tailgate may be opened separately and via remote control.
Exterior trim covers in brushed aluminum. Brushed aluminum roof rails. Exhaust system with 2 matte silver finished tailpipes integrated in
lower tail section. Nose section with enlarged air inlets and black louvered grill. Tail section with diffuser appearance and integrated dual
tailpipes. Preparation for trailer hitch. Dark tinted glass on rear window and rear side windows. 26.4 gallon fuel tank. Standard metallic
paint.Lighting System
Bi-Xenon headlights with automatic leveling control and dynamically controlled static cornering light function. Headlight washer system.
Front and rear fog lamps. Center high-mounted rear brake light integrated into the spoiler. Uniform lighting concept in white for entire
interior, continuously variable. Foot well lighting.
Electrical Equipment
PCM 3.0 with 6.5” color monitor, touchscreen controls, trip computer, integrated MP3-able CD Radio and DVD Navigation system. Bose
surround sound system with 14 loudspeakers, active subwoofer, and 410 Watts total power. On board computer with digital continuous
indication of total mileage, trip mileage, time, outside temp, speed, and various warning indicators. Instrument cluster with 5” TFT color
monitor, 5 dial type gauges with silver trim rings indicating RPM’s, speed, oil temperature, coolant temperature, fuel level, and boost
pressure. Power windows. Two speed wiper system with rain sensor, wiper delay control, heated washer nozzles. Electrically operated and
heated side mirrors. Remote central locking. Anti-theft system including passenger compartment monitoring. Cruise control. Five 12 volt
socket outlets. Multi stage front and rear seat heaters and heated steering wheel. Front and rear park assist with audio and visual displays.
Power tailgate with fully automatic opening and closing of tailgate with programmable, customized opening height.
Passive Safety Equipment
Bumper system incorporating two high-strength cross-members and two crush elements. 3 point seat belts with pre-tensioners (front and
rear outer seats) and force limiters (front seats). Full size driver and passenger airbags. Thorax side airbags integrated in seat backrests.
Roof frame with integrated curtain airbags on left and right. Preparation for child seat anchorage (ISOFIX) on passenger side and rear seats.
Interior Equipment
Electrically operated, 12 way seats in front, with electric fore/aft, height, seat back, and 4-way lumbar support adjustment. Electric seat belt
height and steering column adjustment. Extended driver memory package which includes programming and automatic recall of seat, sideview
mirror, and steering column position, and seat belt height. Folding rear seats. Leather trimmed 3 spoke steering wheel with electric
reach and height adjustment, colored Porsche crest, and radio controls. Smooth leather upholstery with additional stitching on door trim
panel and dashboard. Leather trimmed dashboard, center console and door trim panels. Seats, gear selector, door handles, and door
armrests trimmed with grained leather. Center console armrest trimmed in smooth leather. Aluminum interior trim. Alcantara headliner.
Automatic climate control with integrated carbon filter and driver and passenger sides controlled separately. Metal look A/C control panel
cover. Rocker panel trim covers and pedal covers made of stainless steel. Two cup holders in both front and rear. Center ashtray in front,
ashtrays in rear doors. Illuminated vanity mirror, driver and passenger. Refrigerated glove compartment. Extendable cargo area cover. 4
Chrome-plated tie-down eyelets in cargo area.

Cayenne Turbo S
Model Year 2009 Standard Equipment includes:
Engine
550 hp, 553 lb ft torque – 4.8 liter, water cooled 8 cylinder, aluminum alloy engine block & cylinder heads, front engine.
32 valve, direct injection system. 2 exhaust turbochargers. Engine Management System SDI 4.1 with electronic throttle. Continuously
variable intake camshaft phasing and valve lift switching (Variocam Plus). Cylinder specific knock control. Integrated dry sump lubrication.
Additional piston and water cooling for the turbochargers. Exhaust system with four-tube Sports tail-pipes.
Power Transmission
6-speed Tiptronic S with Porsche Hill Holder and shift on the move. All wheel drive.
Chassis and Suspension
21” alloy Cayenne Sportplus wheels, 295/35 R21. Summer performance tires. TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). Puncture sealing
compound and electric compressor. 19” Collapsible spare tire. Speed sensitive variable assist power steering. Air suspension with load
leveling system and height adjustment. Front and rear stabilizer bars. PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control), PSM (Porsche Stability
Management) with ABS (Anti lock Braking System), ASR (Anti Slip Regulation), ABD (Automatic Brake Differential), EDTC (Engine Drag Torque
Control) and PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management). Double wishbone front axle, multilink rear axle.
Braking System
6-Piston fixed aluminum monoblock red calipers– front, 4-Piston fixed aluminum monoblock red calipers – rear. Anti Lock Braking System
with braking readiness function and Brake Assist. Brake pad wear indicators, foot operated parking brake.
Body
5 Doors. Underbody paneling. Black, high gloss tailgate trim. Rear window of tailgate may be opened separately and via remote control.
Exterior trim covers in brushed aluminum. Brushed aluminum roof rails. Nose section with enlarged air inlets and grill in exterior color.
Wheel arch extensions in exterior color. Tail section with diffuser appearance and integrated dual tailpipes. Preparation for trailer hitch. Dark
tinted glass on rear window and rear side windows. 26.4 gallon fuel tank. Standard metallic paint. Wheel hub covers with colored Porsche
crest.Lighting System
Bi-Xenon headlights with automatic leveling control and dynamically controlled static cornering light function. Headlight washer system.
Front and rear fog lamps. Center high-mounted rear brake light integrated into the spoiler. Uniform lighting concept in white for entire
interior, continuously variable. Foot well lighting.
Electrical Equipment
PCM 3.0 with 6.5” color monitor, touchscreen controls, trip computer, integrated MP3-able CD Radio and DVD Navigation system. Bose
surround sound system with 14 loudspeakers, active subwoofer, and 410 Watts total power. On board computer with digital continuous
indication of total mileage, trip mileage, time, outside temp, speed, and various warning indicators. Instrument cluster with 5” TFT color
monitor, 5 dial type gauges with silver trim rings indicating RPM’s, speed, oil temperature, coolant temperature, fuel level, and boost
pressure. Power windows. Two speed wiper system with rain sensor, wiper delay control, heated washer nozzles. Electrically operated and
heated side mirrors. Remote central locking. Anti-theft system including passenger compartment monitoring. Cruise control. Five 12 volt
socket outlets. Multi stage front and rear seat heaters and heated steering wheel. Front and rear park assist with audio and visual displays.
Power tailgate with fully automatic opening and closing of tailgate with programmable, customized opening height.
Passive Safety Equipment
Bumper system incorporating two high-strength cross-members and two crush elements. 3 point seat belts with pre-tensioners (front and
rear outer seats) and force limiters (front seats). Full size driver and passenger airbags. Thorax side airbags integrated in seat backrests.
Roof frame with integrated curtain airbags on left and right. Preparation for child seat anchorage (ISOFIX) on passenger side and rear seats.
Interior Equipment
Electrically operated sports seats with comfort memory package. Electric seat belt height and steering column adjustment. Extended driver
memory package which includes programming and automatic recall of seat, side-view mirror, and steering column position, and seat belt
height. Folding rear seats. Bicolor leather steering wheel with thicker, heated rim. Bicolor smooth leather upholstery with additional stitching
on door trim panel and dashboard. Leather trimmed dashboard, center console and door trim panels. Seats, gear selector, door handles,
and door armrests trimmed with grained leather. Dashboard, center console armrest, and door trim panels trimmed in smooth leather.
Carbon interior trim. Alcantara headliner. Porsche crest embossed on headrests. Automatic climate control with integrated carbon filter and
driver and passenger sides controlled separately. Metal look A/C control panel cover. Silver instrument dials with Cayenne Turbo S Logo.
Stainless Steel door entry guards with Cayenne Turbo S logo. Rocker panel trim covers and pedal covers made of stainless steel. Two cup
holders in both front and rear. Center ashtray in front, ashtrays in rear doors. Illuminated vanity mirror, driver and passenger. Refrigerated
glove compartment. Extendable cargo area cover. 4 Chrome-plated tie-down eyelets in cargo area.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
I have an '09 Turbo S

I ordered in June before the economy crashed. The reason I went with the Turbo S, after lots of studying, is that I wanted most everything that is standard on the Turbo S but is not standard on the Turbo, including but not limited to the extra HP. After numerous conversations with the dealer, I came to the conclusion that most everything you put on a Turbo past a few basic options will be worth nothing or next to nothing at trade in time (and I don't keep vehicles a long time). But, and I realize its a big but, I felt that the higher base price of the Turbo S should return more value for those same options.
In the state of our current economy, it probably won't matter, but that was my thinking back then.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by copasetic222
I ordered in June before the economy crashed. The reason I went with the Turbo S, after lots of studying, is that I wanted most everything that is standard on the Turbo S but is not standard on the Turbo, including but not limited to the extra HP. After numerous conversations with the dealer, I came to the conclusion that most everything you put on a Turbo past a few basic options will be worth nothing or next to nothing at trade in time (and I don't keep vehicles a long time). But, and I realize its a big but, I felt that the higher base price of the Turbo S should return more value for those same options.
In the state of our current economy, it probably won't matter, but that was my thinking back then.
That is exactly why I ordered the Turbo S.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fantasma
What price do you guys suggest I should be shooting for on it? They got me @ full msrp on my GTS when I could've gotten discounts just a few months ago, I'm not gonna do it again.
What do you guys think on an 09 Turbo?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
My Turbo is scheduled to be upgraded to the EVO ECU program. Will this give me similiar performance to the Turbo S?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
it better, its only a 50HP increase you should be getting more than that.
my question was whether was something physically inherent in the S model that gave it more power (such as bigger turbos) or if its just tuning?

Last edited by Fantasma; 02-04-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
pct2005 is on a distinguished road
It's just a flash

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by pct2005
It's just a flash
So the HP gain with the Turbo S is just an ECU flash? Same motor, same turbo's? Are they running higher boost?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
of COURSE they're running higher boost, thats how you get more power with a flash dude

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fantasma
it better, its only a 50HP increase you should be getting more than that.

Only 50 HP..that's > 10% increase in HP. I'd say that's pretty damn good for just an ECU remapping. At a cost of $1500.00 that works out to $75/HP..Sounds like a pretty good ROI to me. Sure as hell beats paying an extra $25K for an "S".

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM
yes, tuning turbo cars for more power is very easy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Physical differences between Turbo and Turbo S?