Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Air Suspension Strange Behaviour

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:10 PM
DUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud of
Air Suspension Strange Behaviour

New Cayenne S Transsyberia with 250 miles on the clock.

Air suspension compressor seems to run a lot (mild buzzing from under the front passenger seat) when first starting the car; and when driving in stop and go traffic seems to adjust, readjust and readjust the car level at each stop light. Compressor runs during each adjustment. Level is set at Normal and Comfort.

Today, for the fist time after starting the car, there was a sound like drum sticks rattling on plastic coming from under the hood each time the compressor came on. After 2-3 times, this stopped; although the compressor continued to cycle as the car continued adjust and readjust its level for the first couple of miles.

No error messages in the multifunction display.

Normal? (I had AirMatic suspension on my MB ML, and it never acted like this.)

Old 11-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Sn1p3r is on a distinguished road
Surely the software is not correctly mapped. Kindly visit the dealer workshop and get it repaired before it hurts other parts.

All the best!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 AM
christx997 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlant
New Cayenne S Transsyberia with 250 miles on the clock.

Air suspension compressor seems to run a lot (mild buzzing from under the front passenger seat) when first starting the car; and when driving in stop and go traffic seems to adjust, readjust and readjust the car level at each stop light. Compressor runs during each adjustment. Level is set at Normal and Comfort.

Today, for the fist time after starting the car, there was a sound like drum sticks rattling on plastic coming from under the hood each time the compressor came on. After 2-3 times, this stopped; although the compressor continued to cycle as the car continued adjust and readjust its level for the first couple of miles.

No error messages in the multifunction display.

Normal? (I had AirMatic suspension on my MB ML, and it never acted like this.)
not normal, i would bring it to a dealer asap.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:55 PM
TransSiberia is on a distinguished road
Not normal. Mine does no such thing. No noise from anywhere on mine. No adjusting at stop lights. No underhood clanking. Raises on normal, Lowers on sport and it is essentially silent. This is not right.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 PM
DUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TransSiberia
Not normal. Mine does no such thing. No noise from anywhere on mine. No adjusting at stop lights. No underhood clanking. Raises on normal, Lowers on sport and it is essentially silent. This is not right.
With the compressor under the front passenger seat, the "purring" of the compressor is probably normal. The continual ups, downs and even corners up and down by themselves are not.

I have emails in to both Atlanta dealer service department managers. I'll see who has the best response.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 AM
WayneE is on a distinguished road
Have you tried different height levels and firmness settings?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by WayneE
Have you tried different height levels and firmness settings?
Yes and no. The constant adjusting and readjusting stops after the car has been driven 4-5 miles, so there's not much time to try different settings. It does seem to be the worst at Normal Height and Chassis Comfort,

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 AM
mattjtaylor50 is on a distinguished road
let us know what the dealer says
i have the same problem with the air suspension in my cayenne. constantly adjusting height and extended pumping.
my dealer said it was normal (!!!!). i didnt bother arguing as i have techart lowering module and they could void my warranty if they wanted. i plan to bring it back when i get an error fault or clearer indication as to what is wrong.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Angry

So far the car has bee

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlant; 12-04-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
sounds like a faulty air suspension module to me...

Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by canberk
sounds like a faulty air suspension module to me...
The dealer doesn't know. Something is leaking down overnight. They've replaced the check valve in the air pump and a sensor with no improvement. I'm beginning to think they're just throwing parts at it to see what will work. They have supposedly contacted PCNA's P-Tech for help. They've had it all week; and will not let me have the car back until they hear from PCNA.

I've asked them to light a fire under PCNA; and reminded them that the Georgia Lemon Law clock is ticking and is 1/3 used up. I'm beginning to feel like I've dropped $90k down a rat hole.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlant; 12-04-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Thumbs down Arrggghhhh!

The latest word from the dealer's service adviser this afternoon is that PCNA P-tech says to park my Transsyberia next to another Transsyberia over the weekend, and measure the ride height on both come Monday morning.

Sounds like PCNA P-tech doesn't have a clue either. This sure reminds me of MBUSA and the G500; and that's not good!. I wonder if I can convince them to do a buy back.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:13 PM
TransSiberia is on a distinguished road
Wow!

That is an unacceptable response in my book. My TS has a completely silent compressor in that when I am in the vehicle I can not hear it when it is running. Also my vehicle gets to a height when requested and does so and maintains it. I can feel it lower and elevate. I just can not hear it do so and my sons who are 9 and 12 do not hear it either. Porsche NEEDS to offer you your money back or a new vehicle. The rest is just not appropriate.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by TransSiberia
That is an unacceptable response in my book. My TS has a completely silent compressor in that when I am in the vehicle I can not hear it when it is running. Also my vehicle gets to a height when requested and does so and maintains it. I can feel it lower and elevate. I just can not hear it do so and my sons who are 9 and 12 do not hear it either. Porsche NEEDS to offer you your money back or a new vehicle. The rest is just not appropriate.
My thoughts are moving in that direction, too; although I'll give the dealer every chance to get it right. Now the vehicle, in addition to the noisy air pump, will not hold its ride height. Tomorrow will be day 13 of the 30 day Georgia Lemon law maximum.

Word on the other forum - based on past experience - is that Porsche will not do as you suggest without my first having to lawyer up, and then getting into very long and protracted fight. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlant; 12-06-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Picked it up after a week in the dealer's service. They said that car is within spec and is acting normally. They claim this is confirmed by PCNA's P-Tech.

The compressor ran noisilyand sporadically for the first part of the drive home - not really any different than what it was doing when I left it with them.

Not what I would have expected from a $90k vehicle. It's more like a $20k used Jeep. My 10 yr old MB G500 with 70,000 miles and A/T tires runs smoother and quieter on the road than this Cayenne.

Time to see if I can unload it without too much damage; and then there's the consideration of what to replace it with.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlant; 12-07-2009 at 03:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Strange Behaviour