Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Pros & Cons "S" vs base

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
Pros & Cons "S" vs base

I am interested in purchasing a used Cayenne probably an 04-06. What are the pros and cons of an S vs a base? there does not seem to be any difference in price. I was thinking that the base with the 6 cylinder would get better gas mileage,what is the difference in MPG between the 6 and 8? I am not going to use it to tow, or anything like that. just a daily driver. TIA

Old 12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
onemanclique is on a distinguished road
i have an '08 v6 and i get about 18/19 hwy and 13/14 city.

if you're not seeing a difference in price then get the S.. hands down.. that's an easy choice.
new off the lot there was a price difference for me. and being that most of my driving was going to be done in nyc, i didn't feel the need for the extra power at the cost of extra $. i drive mine with the sportmode on and it is suffice for me.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I originally thought that way too, v6 > v8 in terms of mileage, but not in this case, since the chassis itself is too heavy to begin with, having a smaller engine would be inefficient to haul this big SUV around.

I know I've seen turbo owners' on this board, their mileage is almost the same as S or even better than some of S owners, you would think the turbo would use up more gas but not for Cayenne.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pcst
I originally thought that way too, v6 > v8 in terms of mileage, but not in this case, since the chassis itself is too heavy to begin with, having a smaller engine would be inefficient to haul this big SUV around.

I know I've seen turbo owners' on this board, their mileage is almost the same as S or even better than some of S owners, you would think the turbo would use up more gas but not for Cayenne.
This is common to the Touareg V6 and V8 (the V6 Cayenne engine is a VW engine that Porsche has thrown in there base Cayenne's) as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
What is the price range/miles you are considering for each?

Trev

Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 AM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
The price range looks to be 22-25K for an 04-06 with about 50K miles.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
medtech is on a distinguished road
Hands down S. The 6 is underpowered. I had one, and hated it. Now I have the V8 and love it.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Road Runner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jrblackbox
I am interested in purchasing a used Cayenne probably an 04-06. What are the pros and cons of an S vs a base? there does not seem to be any difference in price. I was thinking that the base with the 6 cylinder would get better gas mileage,what is the difference in MPG between the 6 and 8? I am not going to use it to tow, or anything like that. just a daily driver. TIA
Buy the S or the turbo!

The V6 has no power, and the gas mileage is similar to the V8.
Also the V6 is not a Porsche motor (made by VW).

Last edited by Road Runner; 01-05-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by medtech
Hands down S. The 6 is underpowered. I had one, and hated it. Now I have the V8 and love it.
Test drove both when SUV shopping. Even my wife felt the difference in power b/w the two and she couldn't care less about cars
Get the S.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 AM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
find a turbo for a little more money... I get 21 average on the highway with cruise set at 75, and yes it will suck it down if i get after it....

Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Pepper will become famous soon enough
I just bought the "S" and let me tell you.....

I've been driving for 35 years now, have owned 28 differen cars, mostly sports cars, few SUV's beemers, benz, Porsche and my '04 Cayenne S is by far the BEST vehicle I have ever owned in every way. It's a rocket, it's nimble, it's fun, it's sexy, it's luxurious, it's engineering is amazing, it's a looker, it's truly a sports car blown up in an suv and truly blows away everything I have ever driven!!!!! Get the "S"!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
i test drove the v6 but bought the v8 s. the S was nice and worthy ride.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
James75 is on a distinguished road
I have just gone from an Audi TTS (0-60 in 5.2s) to a 2006 V6 Cayenne, 3.2.

After a few days I'm used to the slower acceleration. There's still enough power to get away from lights and junctions quickly.

However, I can imagine the 's' is much more fun. Bit out of my price range.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Seano is on a distinguished road
I've got an '04 S and would never consider the V6 after owning this. The V8 seems about right for this vehicle, while the Turbo makes it even more fun. I guess it all depends upon where you drive etc., but that's my thoughts.

The price of these have come down so dramatically on the used vehicles, it seems almost silly not to get the V8.

For what its worth, I'll go Turbo on the next one -

Old 12-24-2009, 11:31 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
The only thing that attracted me about V6 was the manual tranny which was available on 05 or 06 MY.
I was debating between GTS w/ manual 6speed VS. my current (already purchased) CS titanium edition w/ auto 6speed.

What came down was the price tag, the brand new or 1yr old GTS was totally out of my price range, I guess I could afford one, but there is this thing in my head kept asking me, do I really want to pay that much $$$ for a car that will just loose its value notoriously or just find the used Cayenne which has a low mileage w/ the sufficient enough of warranty left over. I was lucky enough to find 2006 CS Titanium edition w/ 2yrs factory warranty left over.

If the money isn't an issue, then go with the TT or TTS. But if the $$$ or the value is an issue, you just need to find somewhere in the middle to satisfy your needs.

But as I've informed you in earlier msg, the base model isn't gas efficient.