Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Thinking hard about the pepper! little help please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Thinking hard about the pepper! little help please.

Kids are getting bigger and the wife is not crazy about them riding in the back of the C4 anymore. Any tips as I start my search, I'm thinking about a turbo or a gts, I'm thinking I'd like to keep the budget under 60k. Any good leads other than the usual ebay, autotrader sites would be great as well.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 PM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
you can find nice low miles 04 turbos in the very low 30s, I've even seen some 06 turbo S's go for low to mid 40s.

Find a dealer willing to work with you and have them pick up an auction car or two, get it CPO'd and tear it up.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:37 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Yeah definitely get a CPO.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Definately get cpo or very very good ext warranty that your dealer works well with. My 05 CTT that I picked up 16 mos ago has already had some 5k worth of stuff and most recent a 6,500k new rebuilt tranny put in from 61k miles to the now 73k miles. All I had to pay was 100 deductable several times. Still Love the car though.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Damn. was hoping to avoid the extra costs of a cpo. However it sounds like I have no choice. Can anybody compare the ride differences between the turbo and GTS for me. I think I like the manual trans option.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
I drove several GTS's before I got the turbo, they feel the same to me - and I hated the manual transmission... the purpose of this car for me was a good DD, and something that was wife friendly as well - the 6spd didn't meet that, if the 6spd were available in the turbo i'd consider it harder I think, but I'd rather have the tip 6spd turbo than a 6spd GTS... just my opinion, I'm sure some people love it.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by powderjay
Damn. was hoping to avoid the extra costs of a cpo. However it sounds like I have no choice. Can anybody compare the ride differences between the turbo and GTS for me. I think I like the manual trans option.
from what i know, manual trans is hard to find unless you are open to any GTS/turbo (never seen manual turbo) regardless of options. unless it's a must option, i'd just stick with tip in case you need to sell for any reasons. gl with a search.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:07 AM
WayneE is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmw
I drove several GTS's before I got the turbo, they feel the same to me - and I hated the manual transmission... the purpose of this car for me was a good DD, and something that was wife friendly as well - the 6spd didn't meet that, if the 6spd were available in the turbo i'd consider it harder I think, but I'd rather have the tip 6spd turbo than a 6spd GTS... just my opinion, I'm sure some people love it.

You hated the manual and your wife can't drive it, but you'd buy one if you could get a turbo w/manual?

To the OP, I have the manual and like it a lot. The problem with the manuals is that they are difficult to find. I had to sacrifice some options to find a manual transmission GTS, but I'm really happy with the vehicle. If they offered the turbo or turbo S with the manual I would have considered one, but after driving the manual GTS it was so much more engaging I don't miss the extra go of the turbo models.

Drive both and make your decision, don't think you can go wrong with either.

Definitely go CPO. You might pay a little more up front, but it will more than pay for itself over the life of the vehicle.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Pepper will become famous soon enough
I was happy with my recent buying experience

Originally Posted by powderjay
Kids are getting bigger and the wife is not crazy about them riding in the back of the C4 anymore. Any tips as I start my search, I'm thinking about a turbo or a gts, I'm thinking I'd like to keep the budget under 60k. Any good leads other than the usual ebay, autotrader sites would be great as well.

I was happy with my purchase from this auction buyer in Orlando http://www.luxurycarsfl.com/inventory.php, you just need to thoroughly check the car as any used car you never know what it's been through as you can not even trust the highest end dealer no matter who they are. I take mine to a private local mechanic have it lifted and make my determination between myself and the mechanic on it's overall condition.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 AM
zmw
My wife can't drive 6spd - However if it were available on a turbo I might make her - the GTS feels significantly slower than the Turbo, and the 6 speed feels clunky, the seating position is not very good for using a manual, and at the end of the day it feels like a truck - it doesn't feel like a porsche 6 speed should.

Again that's JUST MY OPINION...

In general the only reason for getting a 6 speed in the cayenne is if you are hell bent on gear rowing. I tow a boat with my truck and drive in a lot of traffic, neither of which are things that I want to do with a manual. If it produced the kind of torque my dudge cummins does (which IS a 6spd), that'd be one thing but it doesn't.

Don't read too into what I'm saying, I far prefer manual transmissions but in my cayenne it's just not a good fit...

Originally Posted by WayneE

You hated the manual and your wife can't drive it, but you'd buy one if you could get a turbo w/manual?

To the OP, I have the manual and like it a lot. The problem with the manuals is that they are difficult to find. I had to sacrifice some options to find a manual transmission GTS, but I'm really happy with the vehicle. If they offered the turbo or turbo S with the manual I would have considered one, but after driving the manual GTS it was so much more engaging I don't miss the extra go of the turbo models.

Drive both and make your decision, don't think you can go wrong with either.

Definitely go CPO. You might pay a little more up front, but it will more than pay for itself over the life of the vehicle.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by zmw
My wife can't drive 6spd - However if it were available on a turbo I might make her - the GTS feels significantly slower than the Turbo, and the 6 speed feels clunky, the seating position is not very good for using a manual, and at the end of the day it feels like a truck - it doesn't feel like a porsche 6 speed should.

The GTS is significantly slower than the Turbo, even with the manual transmission (it's quicker than the tip GTS).

Originally Posted by zmw
Again that's JUST MY OPINION...

No worries, zmw. I can see where you're coming from with choosing tip vs. manual. I was confused about the if the turbo came with the manual... comment, which is why I had to go with the Chewbacca Defense

I tow and DD with my GTS, but prefer manuals in my cars. If I had a commute at all I'd choose the tip/turbo option, but I am my own boss and don't have to sit in traffic every day.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
zmw
to be fair, i don't sit in traffic either... but my wife does, and I'm pretty sure the auto/turbo has a higher towing rating than a GTS, either way I'm not sure i'd want to tow a 6500 lb skiboat and trailer with a GTS and a 6speed.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 AM
I think all Cayennes are rated at ~7700lbs towing, regardless of powertrain.

I have not towed my car, but there are several on Rennlist that have towed large, enclosed trailers with a GTS manual. I've towed ~3k lbs several times with my GTS manual without any issues. Once my car is ready to race again, I'll be towing it with my GTS.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow, these things are starting to grow on me. Think I like the look of the GTS, the power of the turbo, and the alcantara seats I see in most GTS's. Tell me my 3 and 5 year olds will ruin those things and just look for a turbo. Any difference in maintenance cost between the turbo and GTS ?

Last edited by powderjay; 12-22-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
zmw
Originally Posted by WayneE
I think all Cayennes are rated at ~7700lbs towing, regardless of powertrain.

I have not towed my car, but there are several on Rennlist that have towed large, enclosed trailers with a GTS manual. I've towed ~3k lbs several times with my GTS manual without any issues. Once my car is ready to race again, I'll be towing it with my GTS.
I'm not saying the GTS isn't capable of towing just saying that towing with a manual is much more of a pain in the *** - the exception being something like my diesel cummins rig that has so much torque between 500 and 1500 rpms that you can just pop the clutch even with a 15k lb load behind you

-Z

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking hard about the pepper! little help please.