Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

glass cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Surfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
There's no way I would take scotch-brite pads or steel wool to glass. I just now took both to an old drinking glass to see, and both scratched it.
Steel Wool is safe? Get #0000 steel wool, no scratches, it's what I use to polish my glass if there are strong water spots that can't be removed by washing/wiping or qd'er.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
alland is on a distinguished road
thanks everyone for all your input. I tried a few of the suggestions (still nervous about the steel wool) and eventually had success with a product called vim. Its a mildly abrasive cream kitchen cleaner. I've done two applications so far and believe that the next one should finish the job. Whatever was on there bonds with glass very well. I'm guessing it was one of the windshild treatments mentioned ealier. for some reason though, it deffinitely did not enhance visibilitiy.

thanks again everyone, this is a great forum!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Stevie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alland
thanks everyone for all your input. I tried a few of the suggestions (still nervous about the steel wool)
You're a smart guy.

Steel wool will indeed clean and polish the glass. But what about the residue that falls off and goes down the glass and into places unknown? Remember ... this is called STEEL wool because that's what it is made of. Raw steel. And it rusts almost immediately ... and rusts anything that it touches also.

Don't ask me how I know this ...

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Precisionmotors
amonia will work

Hey we got an old skooler here !!

For the future - +1 on that - My old man used to use ammonia rubbed on with crumpled up news paper. After that some windex to finish it off. Prob was the car wash wax. After 2 - 3 washes the wipers would skip across the windshield. Ammonia always did the trick - just wear a mask - 1 good sniff an you will see stars.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Road Runner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Surfer
Rain-X sucks, use Aquapel or Klasse AIO with a spray of Duragloss AW after. Blows crappy Rain-X away. Klasse AIO is great as it's a chemical cleaner for paint but works excellent on glass as well. Plenty of reports of how fogged up Rain-X gets even if applied correctly, I know as it happened on a few of our vehicles and one time at night which was horrible, and I know how to apply it, I detail all our vehicles with boutique products. No matter what I tried it still fogged up a few times, now use Aquapel or Klasse and AW with no problems, last longer, and no wiper chatter.
Question:

What is the main difference between Rain-X and Aquapel?
I presently use Rain-X and also Rain-X windshield wiper fluid and it works fine so far!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:00 AM
DUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
If you guys like Rain-X, try the Aquapel product. It's better. It goes on and comes off easier, and lasts easily 4x as long.
Damon,

I was going to order one to try, but your shipping charge is more than the price of the product.

It's considerably cheaper - both the product and the shipping cost - from Amazon.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Rain-X is mostly water..

From my good old WHMIS/MSDS book..

Water - 50%
METHANOL(35%)
and the surfactant - BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM, N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE

hmmmm maybe I could use this in my water/meth injection kit?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Road Runner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Rain-X is mostly water..

From my good old WHMIS/MSDS book..

Water - 50%
METHANOL(35%)
and the surfactant - BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM, N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE

hmmmm maybe I could use this in my water/meth injection kit?
Thanks 2muchtime

Is Aquapel listed in your WHMIS/MSDS book?
It would be interesting to compare the two to see what the difference is.

BTW, at one time I had a Moroso water/meth injection system on a small block Chevy with nitrous. It made a huge difference at the track as it allowed a lot more advance!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
PRODUCT NAME: Aquapel®

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Material/CAS Number Percent
Water
7732-18-5
75-85 %
Aluminum Oxide
1344-28-1

15-25 %

http://raysands.wordpress.com/2008/0...rainx-residue/

interesting article; I will definitely give it a try, as I originally said I always apply once a month so I don't see the breakdown residue issue but didn't know about the build up on the wiper blades.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
alland is on a distinguished road
A final note on getting the polymer/wax off my windshild. Although I had thought that the Vim cream cleaner had worked it had not. As soon as I required the wipers at night the glass agailn become impossible to see thopugh and nearly ended up in a head on collision. While I was in Wallmart I noticed that next to the RainX they sold a glass "stripper" designed to remove coatings. It took three applications but it eventually removed the coating from the windshild. Although I have used most of the windshild treatments (rainx, aquapel etc) on other cars in the past, after this experience I hesitate to apply anything on my windshild again. I suspect that someone had improperloy applied the product or used too much.....

Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
In the winter months I use RainShield as it can be applied wet (like days in PacNW); just spray it on while it is raining. It also does not build up like RainX does.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Pepper will become famous soon enough
Exclamation DO NOT use anything ABRASIVE on the glass, you will regret it!

I had an '07 Lexus RX 350 and used the green side of one of those yellow dish sponges (new out of the bag) that you would use to clean dishes.....It scratched the hell out of the windshield when I used it to remove Florida luv bugs off the glass. The windshield was wet and soapy as was the sponge, I did not see the damage until I got in the car to drive and it was as if I used a power sander. It was not repairable and the windshield had to be replaced! Expensive lesson learned.
Also, if you ever had your windshield "repaired" by one of those crack or chip repairs, beware too, what you use over them because they are plastic filled and are much more fragile than the windshield glass. Now I have no clue if Porsche glass is stronger than Lexus glass but I would think a windshield is a windshield and all about the same.