Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Potential Cayanne GTS owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Ryboy996GT700 will become famous soon enoughRyboy996GT700 will become famous soon enough
Potential Cayanne GTS owner

Hello all, I'm pinging in here to see if anyone has had really bad luck with their GTS. I have a 996TT now and I am just not able to use it as much as I'd like with 4 kids and a wife who works nights.

I'm not getting my Porsche fix during the week! haha Most every day I drive my '05 Excursion diesel to work because I have to drop the kids at school and daycare, leaving my baby in it's own garage. Anyway, I love my Excursion for what it does, but I need my "p" car fix. So I'm thinking of replacing the Ex for a GTS for the daily driver. Not gonna trade the Ex, I need it to haul other stuff around.

You guys that use your GTS for a daily...good? bad? thoughts? Oh, and you can leave the mileage thing out of it because I'm pretty sure it would be better or the same as my Ex at worst. So that's not a problem. Has anyone fitted a car seat to the middle of the back seat? basically between the rear seats? If so pics would be appreciated. Thanks

Ry

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
WayneE is on a distinguished road
Mine has been in the shop twice for PDCC issues. The electrical system went haywire yesterday during a snow storm, I've scheduled another trip to the dealer. That will be 3 in about 7mos. There was a coolant leak recently, too. That was handled during the 2nd PDCC repair.

The panel under the driver's seat didn't fit right from the factory and was mangled the first time my wife tried to move the seat forward far enough to reach the clutch pedal. It was replaced under warranty. I also noticed today that the shifter boot surround is broken; something that may have happened during it's last visit to the dealer. Hooking up a trailer is always an ordeal (!), as the Cayenne doesn't like LED lights; or in the case of my Cayenne, it doesn't like any trailer being hooked up. It illuminates the (!) but the brake lights on the trailer still work.

The manual transmission is a lot more fun as a daily driver, but it's stubborn when cold and doesn't like to go into gear if it sits overnight in sub-freezing temps. Your dealer will not be able to duplicate this and will tell you it's normal even though you have a garage full of manual transmission vehicles

If you buy a Cayenne, be sure there's a dealer near you My dealer does give Porsche loaners - Cayman, Cayenne and Panamera - so it's not as bad dropping it off. Just a bit of a PITA making so many unscheduled trips to the dealer.

Good luck

Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Ryboy996GT700 will become famous soon enoughRyboy996GT700 will become famous soon enough
Ouch! Up until recently we didn't really worry about sub-freezing temps here in FL. But that global warming had us frozen for a couple weeks down here last month! But the 6 speed in my 996 worked like any other day. I really don't want to have a tiptronic. i haven't driven one yet that I have enjoyed; the BMW's that I've driven...too slow, my wife's G37s...way too slow. I've never driven a Porsche tip though. They seem to do most everything else better than everyone, maybe that is too.

Do you think the cosmetic stuff is more the fault of the dealer working on it? Have you been happy with it otherwise? Our Porsche/BMW dealer is only 20 mins away.. thank God and they have been exceptional with their service. What was the coolant problem?

Looking at the Turbo too, possibly an '08 turbo or '09 GTS. Any thoughts on this comparison?

Thanks Wayne.

Ry

Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
WayneE is on a distinguished road
The dealer may have ****ed up the shifter boot, but they shouldn't have been working in that area. May have just broken from use.

I drove GTS tips and the manual. I preferred the manual. That fact is reinforced each time I get a Cayenne loaner

Turbo vs GTS is a tough one. Obviously if you can live with the tip tranny, get the Turbo. Little nicer inside and an extra 95hp. I liked everything about the GTS when I purchased, plus mine was a leftover 2008 so the price was really good. That helped with my decision.

The coolant leak was an o-ring under the intake manifold. Common problem - there's a TSB for it.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
RxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud of
Buy the TT

Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i live near ottawa - way colder than anything in the US NE - shifter can be a little tricky into first on really cold weather but gentle work gets it in. not really much different than the short shifter in my Spyder on a cold fall day.

GTS - lower and nice exhaust - like Wayne - the maunal is fun and the sound blows away a turbo. not as fast but depends on what you want - it is more engaging even in a tip vs tip option imo.

my GTs doesn't have PPDCC, but my Turbo never had a problem in the 6 months i owned it.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
lumber will become famous soon enough
Buy a gts if you want a manual, its that good. If you want an auto, Id consider the turbo. I only wanted a manual.

5000 miles on my 09 and no problems, its my winter/daily beater, and it is a blast.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Man, now I'm hooked again, looking for Cayennes this time. I've found a couple of REALLY nice '09 GTS's loaded with low miles. And they look pretty sweet, I'm planning to take a day or two off this week and see if I can't get down south to look at them. But at the same time I found 2 '08 TTs that are also worth looking at, they of course have a little more mileage, one more than the other, but they look clean as well. I guess I;m going to have to just drive them and see if I can't feel which is better. But, I will admit I REALLY am leaning towards a GTS just for the stick. But, I'll have to see how the tip feels.

Yea, I'm glad that we don't have to deal with the sub freezing temps down here too often. But you definitely get to see what does not like the cold weather when it does come around. My Diesel hates it! Luckily it came standard with a block heater...who would have thought? Block heater on a Florida truck, but the trans does take some time to wake up when it's cold.

Ry