Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Gear display goes blank on dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
I was searching through the forums and found this thread. Sorry for starting a new one admins. I think I have the same problem...

After a week of not using the 04 CT, as I drove out of the basement parking my tranny indicator on the dash got stuck looking this way...

Name:  IMG-20120223-01326.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  19.5 KB

All the P R N D letters are highlighted and no M appears if I shift the stick to manual mode. There is also no halo around the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 when the CT shifts gear.

The CT seem to drive OK and seem to shift just fine - even the tiptronic seem to be responding and shifting as it should. Its just the indicator lamps are frozen to this status. Is it a dirty actuator connectors or something else? Anyone had the experience already? Kindly share. TIA!

Can we have an update on how this problem was solved? Any DIY photos would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 02-23-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
xTapouTx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
The part is called a shade, and the number is 955-552-265-00. It is a lot easier if you get the entire shift gate but it will be more expensive, it is number 955-552-261-01-62w for the satin aluminum finish ones. I don't have a DIY for this, but it isn't bad, take the console cover off, shift ****, then the rest of the pieces have tabs that you lever over and everything comes apart nicely.

Earlier in this thread the above comment was made and it helped 3 people that I know of. I would bet it's the same for you.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
i think this is what happened to me...

Originally Posted by Reborn996
I think that means limp mode is activated for the transmission... but this would be a very good time to scan it and get the codes. That should show what is happening.
I believe mine actually went on limp mode as you have mentioned. I was on my way to the dealers and when the service manager re-started my CT, we were all surprised to see this...

Name:  IMG-20120224-01328.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  104.1 KB

At least for me it was a pleasant surprise :-) what really happened here? What is limp mode anyway? How do you cure this limp mode thing? Maybe you guys know the secret. Hope you could share.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
c4sjohn is on a distinguished road
Looks like good news for you. Only if it doesn't come back again. John

Old 03-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Pkcayenne is on a distinguished road
Help - I have the display saying R and cannot start cayenne

Hi I have a ctt 04 and today was driving along came to park put it in park on the selector and the display stayed as R and I couldn't remove the keys had to move the gear selector back to N then turned the key off and it asked for me to select P and after a couple of times I could remove the key.

Now when turning on the key the dash says R when the selector is in park and cannot start the car just had to get towed.

Car doesn't start and read this article on sun shade, isn't this a piece of plastic how can it cause such issues please help

Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 AM
CIPRIAN CALE is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP!!!My gear dislay is blank!!!any ideea the tester is giving me TIPTRONIC CONTROL UNIT..i have replaced it from an used 4.5 cayeene and stll nothing!?ANy ideea!???check all vacum and houses!!!!!Thats the only messege i got!!And I got also serial comunication link error!!!!I have changed even the selector,thinking was stucked and in error to my icarsoft tester...displaying same messenges as PIWIS!And the car is working in limp mode with PSM deactiveded!!!with 3rd gear and R only!!!!Limp mode!Hope is not the valces from the gearbox!???

Last edited by CIPRIAN CALE; 05-21-2019 at 05:22 AM.