Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Gear display goes blank on dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 AM
xTapouTx is on a distinguished road
Gear display goes blank on dash

Anyone ever had this issue?

After a few min of driving, the car will shift fine through the gears and show that is in 2 then 3 then 4...etc but then after a few min it shows nothing. Actually it shows all the symbols on the right higlighted. Like Park, Reverse, Nuteral...etc.

I'll post a pic so you can get a visual.

Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
do you have any problems with transmission?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
I think that means limp mode is activated for the transmission... but this would be a very good time to scan it and get the codes. That should show what is happening.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
I have had the compass module sometimes not show up on the Left side of my center display like yours. Shouldn't you have a full time compass on the Left? Mine comes and goes, the only annoying electrical gremlin on my 09 Turbo S.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Pepper will become famous soon enough
I lost all my display, it gradually came back and found out it was...

the sun! Yes, I live in Florida, and the car was sitting a few hours at the right angle on the dash display and when I tapped the glass thinking it may be a loose wire I burned the hell out of my fingers touching it. I tinted my front windows and use a screen on my windshield when parked now. I will never forget a friend of my frying an egg on the hood of his Lexus...the sun is an electronics killer.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by canberk
do you have any problems with transmission?

Nope no problems....although i can't go into tiptonic with gear shifter anymore. The steering wheel controls still work just fine.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IxxTapouTxxI
Nope no problems....although i can't go into tiptonic with gear shifter anymore. The steering wheel controls still work just fine.
My guess would be the black "accordion" plastic guide inside the shifter, it can get damaged and bunched up and cause this display. It is available separately, and isn't a bad DIY.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
My guess would be the black "accordion" plastic guide inside the shifter, it can get damaged and bunched up and cause this display. It is available separately, and isn't a bad DIY.

You're absolutely right!! That plastic/rubber sheath split about a week ago and that's when they both started happening.

Is there a DIY guide on that or could you shoot me a quick list of steps for this?

What is that part called?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 AM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
You're absolutely right!! That plastic/rubber sheath split about a week ago and that's when they both started happening.

Is there a DIY guide on that or could you shoot me a quick list of steps for this?

What is that part called?
The part is called a shade, and the number is 955-552-265-00. It is a lot easier if you get the entire shift gate but it will be more expensive, it is number 955-552-261-01-62w for the satin aluminum finish ones. I don't have a DIY for this, but it isn't bad, take the console cover off, shift ****, then the rest of the pieces have tabs that you lever over and everything comes apart nicely.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
The part is called a shade, and the number is 955-552-265-00. It is a lot easier if you get the entire shift gate but it will be more expensive, it is number 955-552-261-01-62w for the satin aluminum finish ones. I don't have a DIY for this, but it isn't bad, take the console cover off, shift ****, then the rest of the pieces have tabs that you lever over and everything comes apart nicely.

Now that was extremely helpful!! Thanks man!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
i love how this forum solves your problems..

Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Now that was extremely helpful!! Thanks man!
No problem, hopefully that gets you going in the right direction

Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM
jetmax is on a distinguished road
Can anyone give me more info or photos of how to take the console out to get to the Sun Shade?

John

Attached Images  

Last edited by jetmax; 05-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 AM
khairo82 is on a distinguished road
mine on my cs 05 does the same thing , i cant c anything during the day sometimes i do its driving me crazy ... i dont know if i have to change the whole thing..
any suggestions?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
I took some pics a while ago when I did this, I'll see if I still have them. As porschespeeddemon said it is easier just buying the whole thing. This isn't a bad job at all guys, I have faith that you can do it. I'll be back with pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gear display goes blank on dash