Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Dead Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Cayenne Dead Need Help

My 2004 Cayenne TT refuses to start. The screen is red and says Steering Faulty and beeps. The shifter is locked. Car had to be put in neutral from below to be towed. Since ignition wont come on diagnostics cannot be run. Tech thought it might be ignition switch but changing that did not work. He is out of ideas and car has been dead since Thurs. Need some serious HELP!!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
Was the tech from a Porsche Dealership?

Sorry i wish i could help you out!

Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spinny02
Was the tech from a Porsche Dealership?

Sorry i wish i could help you out!
Yes, we neeed to find a way to hook up tester despite the fact that we cant get any life from the ignition.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 AM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
I would think that if he works for Porsche, he should have access to their database....

The ignition switch is just a fancy on off switch. There are ways to bypass the switch on other cars, be removing the lock cylinder. The actual switch is behind it in most cases. I would think that he could go that route.

However, I am not sure that pulling diagnostic trouble codes is going to give him the information that is needed in order to repair the vehicle. If there were no symptoms leading up to the failure, I would begin to look at fuses/grounds/PCM.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
This was a TSB pulled from Alldata. Not sure if it may help or not.

Cayenne
1/03 2706
Binder - 2 - Fuel, Exhaust, Eng. EI.
Auxiliary Battery For The Cayenne
Date: 2-28-03
Vehicle Type:
Cayenne S/Cayenne Turbo
Model Year:
As of '03 (3)
Concern:
Auxiliary battery information (I No. J2C), advance publication from the Technical Manual - Repairs: Auxiliary Battery
Information:
The Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo vehicles are currently being delivered with an auxiliary battery. The auxiliary battery is used exclusively for starting the engine. A cutoff relay connects it to the vehicle electrical system when the engine is started and disconnects it when the engine is not running. The auxiliary battery is located in the spare-wheel well in the rear of the vehicle and is charged when the engine is running.
Vehicles equipped with the Porsche Entry & Drive System (KESSY)

When the plastic "KESSY" key (Arrow in Figure 1) is used to start the vehicle, the battery underneath the driver's seat is utilized. When the main ignition key is used, the current from the auxiliary battery is used to start the engine. If the main battery (located underneath the driver's seat) is dead on a vehicle equipped with an auxiliary battery and KESSY, the plastic key must be removed from the ignition switch. The main ignition key must then be inserted in order to start the vehicle.
The following is an excerpt from the Cayenne Owner's Manual on this subject:
If the vehicle is fitted with an additional battery in the luggage compartment, it is possible to start the engine with the ignition key, even if the battery voltage fails.
In vehicles with Porsche Entry & Drive:
1.Remove the Porsche Entry and Drive control unit ("KESSY" key) from the ignition lock. Refer to "Removing the Control Unit from the Ignition Lock" in the Cayenne Owner's Manual.
2.Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock and start the engine as described.
An excerpt from the Technical Manual - Repairs - is enclosed with this Technical Information as advance information:
Chapter 274 - Removing and installing auxiliary battery
This scope is also included in Supplement 3 for the Technical Manual - Repairs.
Introduction:
October 28, 2002, from the following VIN numbers:
9P 23L A6 0051 USA
9P 63L A9 0022 USA Turbo

Attachment:
Cayenne Technical Manual, Group 2:
> Repairs: 27-4 - Removing and installing auxiliary battery
Removing auxiliary battery
Danger! Risk of explosion, injury, short circuit and damage to the generator and electronic control modules.
^Do not disconnect battery with engine running.
^Disconnect and reconnect battery with extreme caution. Risk of short circuit and explosion.
^Do not rub the battery with a dry cloth. Risk of explosion as a result of static charge.
Note! ^The battery is located in the luggage compartment under the loadspace floor.
^If the vehicle contains a subwoofer or collapsible spare wheel, the relevant component must be removed before the auxiliary battery is removed
^Switch off all loads and remove ignition key.
^Observe the warning notes and safety regulations for hydrocyanic acid batteries. --> 27-2 "Battery"

1 - Removing the collapsible spare wheel:
1.Remove twist grip -A-and position it on bolt -B-.
2.Unscrew bolt -B- and remove it together with the collapsible spare wheel.

1 - Removing subwoofer fastening:
1.Remove tyre sealant -1- if it is present.
2.Unscrew the two fastening nuts -2-.
3.Undo fastening screw -3- and washer.

2 - Disconnecting electrical plug connection and removing subwoofer:
1.Take the plug connection out of the retaining bracket on the subwoofer and disconnect the plug connection.
2.Lift subwoofer up and out.

3 - Removing battery case cover:
1.-A- Unscrew the four fastening nuts.
2.-B- Unclip the four fastening clips using a screwdriver.
3.Remove the battery case cover by pulling it up.

4 - Disconnecting and removing the battery:
1.Risk of short circuit! First disconnect negative cable -1-, then positive cable -2-.
2.Pull off vent hose -4- on the battery.
3.Unscrew the battery mount nut and remove the retaining bracket for the battery mount.
4.Risk of causticisation! Remove battery from the battery case by the folding handles, if at all possible without tilting it.
Installing auxiliary battery

1 - Inserting and connecting the battery:
1.Risk of causticisation! Position the battery in the battery case below the stops, if at all possible without tilting it.
2.Position retaining bracket and tighten with fastening screw -5-. --> "Tightening torques" in 27-4
3.Push vent hose -4- onto the battery.
Note! Make sure that the two ends of the vent hose are routed and inserted correctly.
1.Risk of short circuit! First connect positive cable -1- then negative cable -2-. --> "Tightening torques" in 27-4

2 - Positioning battery case cover and screwing it on:
1.Put on the battery case cover, position it and clip the four fastening clips -A- onto the cover.
2.Push the retraining straps across the four fastening bolts on the body floor and screw on the four fastening nuts. --> "Tightening torques" in 27-4

3 - Installing subwoofer:
1.Insert the subwooter via the battery case.
2.Connect the electrical plug connection, pressing on it until the plug audibly clicks into place.
3.Insert the electrical plug connection on the subwoofer.

4 - Fastening subwoofer:
Note! If the vehicle contains a subwooter or collapsible spare wheel the relevant component must be reinstalled.
1.Push in fastening screw -3- with the large washer and tighten it. --> "Tightening torques" in 27-4
2.Position both fastening nuts -2- and tighten them.--> "Tightening torques". in 27-4
3.If it is present, place tyre sealant -1- in tray.

4 - Installing collapsible spare wheel:
Note! If the vehicle contains a subwoofer or collapsible spare wheel the relevant component must be reinstalled.
1.Insert collapsible spare wheel.
2.Screw in screw -B-.
3.Position twist grip -A- and tighten fastening screw -B-.

Tightening torques

Disclaimer

© 2010 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.Terms of Use

Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks svoshop!! I will pass on to tech...

Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 AM
No worries. I really do not know much about the Cayenne. Other than we are looking for an 11 for my wife.

However, I would not have thought of two different batteries, and that would be a great place for shorts, and bad grounds to live.

Mike

Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
wow... you kidding me, the techs now a days... what happened back in the day when there was no fancy computers... bet he was deer in headlight when the PIWIS couldn't talk...

have him jump the ignition, black wire at drivers dash fuse box, should power up, though the ignition is can operated it will give him a nice head start

Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
wow... you kidding me, the techs now a days... what happened back in the day when there was no fancy computers... bet he was deer in headlight when the PIWIS couldn't talk...

have him jump the ignition, black wire at drivers dash fuse box, should power up, though the ignition is can operated it will give him a nice head start
Thanks! That is the kind of help I need!! +reps

Last edited by MBailey; 10-06-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
you are going to ruin my image... i have to have negative reps

good luck with the vehicle

Old 10-06-2010, 02:49 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
hey, waiting for the updates

Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
nice tech post

Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Believe it or not this turned out to be nothing major. Relay 13 under the driver seat was bad. It was a $30 part!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 PM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the update

Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Glad to hear it was nothing major.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Dead Need Help