Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

05 Cayenne Turbo Buying Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM
hstart72 is on a distinguished road
05 Cayenne Turbo Buying Tips

Just joined the forum. First post.

I'm looking at an '05 Cayenne Turbo with 40k miles, clean Carfax, no service history or warranty. Dealer offering it at $35.5k.

What should I be looking for, or questions should I be asking? I understand coming out of an Infiniti that owning a Porsche is going to be a different World in terms of running costs, but are there are traps to avoid, or specific things I should be looking for? I don't want to be hosed on my first Porsche.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 AM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hstart72
Just joined the forum. First post.

I'm looking at an '05 Cayenne Turbo with 40k miles, clean Carfax, no service history or warranty. Dealer offering it at $35.5k.

What should I be looking for, or questions should I be asking? I understand coming out of an Infiniti that owning a Porsche is going to be a different World in terms of running costs, but are there are traps to avoid, or specific things I should be looking for? I don't want to be hosed on my first Porsche.

Thanks in advance guys.
IMHO..
what you need is a good long warranty that covers everything...how many owners?..40k on an 05CTT(or basically any Porsche) is nothing but the age will be of concern...try to negotiate more about the price(deal breaker) and see if they can give you atleast 3 yrs.of FULL coverage warranty...and don't forget to participate on that coolant pipe class action suit(almost every cayenne owners concern)..........and welcome aboard!! cheers!!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
hulahula is on a distinguished road
No service history? Ask them to perform the 40,000 mile service. Porsche recommend a major service every 40k miles. Minor service at 20k, 60k, 100k, etc. Oil and filter change every 10k.

MAJOR SERVICE CHECKLIST
-Diagnosis system: read out fault memory
-Vehicle underside and engine compartment: visual inspection for leaks (oils and other fluids); engine compartment: visual inspection for damage; underside panels: visual inspection for completeness, installation and damage
-Change engine oil and oil filter
-Particle filter: replace filter element (in the air conditioner)
-Check drive belt
-Steering gear: visual inspection of bellows for damage ; tie rod end: check the play and dust bellows
-Power steering: check fluid level
-Fuel lines and connections: visual inspection
-Coolant hoses: check condition; radiators and air inlets: visual inspection for external contamination and blockage. Coolant: check the level and antifreeze protection
-Foot-operated parking brake: check free play
-Brake system: visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for wear
-Brake hoses and lines: visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion; check brake fluid level
-Drive shafts: visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage
-Front cardan shaft: visual inspection of rolling lobes for damage
-Rear cardan shaft: visual inspection of centre bearing for damage
-Axle joints: check the play and visually inspect the dust bellows for damage
-Exhaust system: visual inspection for leaks and damage, check suspension
-Exterior of tyres and spare wheel: check condition and tyre pressure
-Lubricate door latch snib and fastening pins
-Windscreen wiper/washer system, headlight washer: check operation, fluid level and nozzle settings, pay attention to antifreeze protection in the winter months; check wiper blades
-Seat belts: check operation and condition
-Vehicle lights: check function; all headlights: check adjustment; horn: check operation
-Battery and vent hose: check condition
-Electrical equipment, warning and indicator lights
-Trailer hitch: check operation
-Airbag system: check operation and condition
-Test drive: remote control, front seats, foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, steering, transmission, ParkAssist, automatic speed control, PSM switch, heating, air-conditioning system and instruments: check operation.
-Oils, fluids: visual inspection for leaks

My dealer charged me $1,200 for my 40k service.

Also, Porsche recommends a brake fluid replacement every 2 years although my independent mechanic just tests the fluid instead of replacing.

Aside for the coolant pipes (I haven't had any problems), the ignition coils have a tendency to crack. Porsche just acknowledged the coil problem and extended the warranty (on the coils only) so it shouldn't be a money issue.

I'm a little wary of non-Porsche extended warranties. The big two 3rd party warranty providers won't touch Porsches (or Land Rovers, or other expensive to repair cars). Even Porsche dealers only will provide a 6 year/100,000 mile (from original purchase) extended warranty. I'd rather spend that extra money on a good mechanic anyway.

Don't let running costs scare you. My 05 CTT is pushing 60k and is rock solid.

Last edited by hulahula; 01-30-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
This is great. Thanks guys.

Coolant pipes and coils have been replaced, but I don't think the cardan shafts have.

They have warranties from 2 - 5 years from $3,100 - $4,100. I don't have the list of what covered not covered yet, but will check into that on Monday.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
i highly recommend you to find a 06 rather than a 05...

Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Really? Why is that?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
05 and 06 are vitually identical.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Actually, 04 - 07 are basically the same.

Oh, 'If' the Cardan shaft does fail and you're without a warranty, for god sakes NEVER use the Stealer. They markup retail price and use crazy book price for labor. Find a good Indy (Independent Dealer).

You can a balanced, front Cardan shaft from Supporting Vendors here for around $350 shipped...or... if you have a decent 4x4 shop nearby, ask them since its only the $250 bearing within the shaft that fails.

Enjoy !

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I have an 04 with 80k, and it is rock solid as well.

1. Carfax dont mean ****. Take it with a grain of salt and use it as a tool. You will get burned if you rely on the carfax.

2. Use the carfax to figure out where the vehicle was originally sold. Call the Porsche dealers in that area and try to get the service manager to give you a rundown of the vehicles service history, including major repairs, using the vin #. Most are leary of disclosing personal info, so a little wordplay and craftiness will be of great help. If you have to pose as someone other than a consumer that's what needs to be done. A little detective work pays off. Seems that 04 & 05's have more problems than others but my 04 is NOT a problem AT ALL. Coolant pipes and cardan shaft are repairs that you want to have been done already.

3. Pay for an independent third-party inspection. The cayenne will hook u and stir emotion so you dont want to have to deal with that while trying to be unbiased.

4. The CT eats tires like nobodys buisness. Its a combo of lots of power, weight, and the fact that power is biased to the rear to make it feel like a rear wheel drive. Not a lot talk about this.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 PM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
was there an 2007 production??

Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney

4. The CT eats tires like nobodys buisness. Its a combo of lots of power, weight, and the fact that power is biased to the rear to make it feel like a rear wheel drive. Not a lot talk about this.
+1 for the tires. And, while the rotors should be fine at 40k, brake pads tend to turn to dust. No fault to Porsche. The CTT is just a violently over-powered heavy vehicle.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by pakundo
was there an 2007 production??
No. Technically the first generation 955 (Cayenne) was produced between 2003 and 2006. In 2007, they started selling the 2008 MY with the 4.8L engine and refreshed exterior.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
The price seems kind of high for a non-CPO. Seems like everyone has covered the major things to look for.