Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2004 Turbo Oil Leak??

Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
2004 Turbo Oil Leak??

So I was just walking through my garage and saw some oil underneath my 04 Cayenne Turbo on the driver front of the engine bay on my pretty garage floor. About 2-3 different spots up to 6 inches in diameter. Of course its Saturday afternoon and this means I can't have it checked out for almost 48 hours. Any theories as to what it might be? I don't know if driving it in this condition is a good idea. Should I request a tow truck to the dealer approx 10 miles away?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
It is very common.

The engine is designed where oil is dumped back into the charge tube on the driver's side bank. This accumulates and the seal on the tube will sometimes leak. I've heard of guys having as much as a spray can cap full of oil when they remove the pipe.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:10 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
It is very common.

The engine is designed where oil is dumped back into the charge tube on the driver's side bank. This accumulates and the seal on the tube will sometimes leak. I've heard of guys having as much as a spray can cap full of oil when they remove the pipe.
So that sounds like something covered under CPO.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
It is. I had the seal replaced. If you need me to put part #'s and any description up just let me know and I'll throw them up for you to take to your service guy.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
My service manager is very good, so I bet they'll be able to figure out the part number. =) Thanks for offering to look it up though! I will drive it over and drop it off Monday for some love...

Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM
threestar40 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem on my '04 turbo...I would love to fix it myself. the part numbers and procedure would be awesome. Tried to do it today, but got a little scared and quit...really didn't feel like I could get to it from below. Any help would be awesome. I'm moderately talented mechanic, I've done a lot, so not much scares me...just need know how far it has to be torn down to get to this.

Thanks in Advance,

Rick Mueller,
Austin, TX

Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
+1 on everything threestar40 said. Mine looks like someone sprayed oil all over in there. I'm cautiously optimistic about doing it myself. With a tiny bit of direction...

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM
update

Went to the dealer today in Austin.
Talked to the tech and he was nice enough to describe the procedure to me...so I ordered the seal and will tackle this myself.

I will update as the job gets done and try to take some pics and make a procedure. Don't know how helpful it would be since there are so few of us out there that are willing to do the work ourselves, but I will try.

I will prolly be next weekend before I get to it.

Rick =)

Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
mja305 is on a distinguished road
How did your repair turn out Im doing my cooling pipes and notice oil leaking from left pipe (the pipe that comes out of the T on the throttle body) that goes into the air filter box. Also noticed oil on top of the big hose that comes out of the left turbo. Not sure if it is just leaking down to from the air filter box.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by mja305
How did your repair turn out Im doing my cooling pipes and notice oil leaking from left pipe (the pipe that comes out of the T on the throttle body) that goes into the air filter box. Also noticed oil on top of the big hose that comes out of the left turbo. Not sure if it is just leaking down to from the air filter box.
I just had the dealer do it...I don't know how to take the car apart...I'm 43 y.o. with every tool you can imagine and moderate mechanical skills...I'm just getting to old I guess. I like my cayenne, but I'm letting the dealer take care of it. They do rape me on it, but I guess I just don't care anymore. I just paid $49 a quart for tranny fluid! I gave them a lot of hell about it, but you get the picture....wish I had more info for you...the tech did say the pressure tubes had quite a bit of oil in them just like the thread states.

Rick =)

Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
The left side turbo hose leak is common. My hose was replaced under CPO.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:20 PM
pastorom is on a distinguished road
Reviving an old thread, because i'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. I have an oil leak from my 2004 Turbo on the Passenger's side.

Has anyone else encountered this? Thoughts on what could be?