Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Should I go from 18" to 20" tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:49 PM
taddyangle is on a distinguished road
Should I go from 18" to 20" tires?

I will need to change tires on my 05 S and I am wondering the following: Will the ride be noticeable improved? The rims/tires I am looking at are $1445, so I am going to be spending about $600 more for 20" rims/tires compared to just buying new 18" tires. I am thinking about some black rims on my lapis blue S. Will that hurt resale?

20 Porsche Cayenne S GTS Techno black wheels rims Tires (falken)

Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
20's is a good size for upgrade. The ride will actually be a bit stiffer and the handling will be improved over 18's. Not sure about the Falkens, I have had good luck with Michelin Latitude HPs and the Continental DWS has received very good reviews.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I have 20" on my CS, currently running on Yokohama Parada spec-X.

Not sure how it would be going from 18" to 20" since mine came with 20" sports technos. But the ride isn't bad at all.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
Don't know too much about 18's but searched tire rack for 19 vs 20 and found more than two and one half times the selection in 20s and a far broader price range spread.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
ginatom is on a distinguished road
I have a Lapis Blue 05 and I've decided to go with 19" wheels & tires. I got them on ebay & they should be here today. Good Luck

Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ronl
Don't know too much about 18's but searched tire rack for 19 vs 20 and found more than two and one half times the selection in 20s and a far broader price range spread.

I agree, remember 16"? that was an odd ball one too, while more choices for 15" & 17" tires but 16" tires were hard to find.

I would definitely go with 20" if I were you.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely go with 20's- great upgrade. Hankook Ventus V12's or Pirelli PZero's in 275/40/20 work great ($219 each on tirerack), or even the Hankook Ventus ST in same size ($162 each). Good tires for mostly town / highway driving, no pulling / no noise. I had a tire defect in my last set of Hankook ST's (front left inner tread separation) but they were 4 years old, not worn out yet, and have taken an @$$load of pothole abuse on Wilshire. Impressive.

You might be able to find a factory set of turbo 20's at a decent price- they look great and are easy to clean. Get the same size rims on all four wheels- do not do a staggered set unless you want to keep buying rear tires all the time. Being able to rotate your wheels will give you 4x the tire life.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a Lapis Blue 05 and I've decided to go with 19" wheels & tires. I got them on ebay & they should be here today. Good Luck
Can you post the difference you notice with 19"? Also, why did u go with 19 vs 20?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Definitely go with 20's- great upgrade. Hankook Ventus V12's or Pirelli PZero's in 275/40/20 work great ($219 each on tirerack), or even the Hankook Ventus ST in same size ($162 each). Good tires for mostly town / highway driving, no pulling / no noise. I had a tire defect in my last set of Hankook ST's (front left inner tread separation) but they were 4 years old, not worn out yet, and have taken an @$$load of pothole abuse on Wilshire. Impressive.
The STs are $60 less per tire, is it noticeable better with v12?

I don't drive aggressive; mainly drive a 12 mile (1way) commute and monthly trips from San Diego to palm springs.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 AM
karlf is on a distinguished road
20 ftw

Old 05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
ginatom is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by taddyangle
Can you post the difference you notice with 19"? Also, why did u go with 19 vs 20?
taddyangle

Disclaimer: My car & tire knowledge is very limited!

Ok I will let you know if there is a difference...I got them yesterday and will have them placed on the car tomorrow. I decided to go with 19's because I wanted a bigger tire & new wheels/rims (I have 18s and wheels w/curb rash). But I'm not a fan of low profile tires & the 20 wheels that I really liked were on low profile tires and lastly, I got the 19's at a really really good price via eBay. New Pirelli PZeros 265/50/19 normally $348 ea. + wheels for app. $1k. I did find out after I bought them that they are low profile so I will have to see them on the car before I can say whether or not they were worth it.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Shawn Stanford is on a distinguished road
I also have a lapis blue '05 and I thought about 20s, but I ended up 18s with 60-series tires. I've had them for a few weeks and I'm happy. For winter I'm going to put 70-series tires on the stock 17s.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I run 295-35-21 all the way around. The handling is incredible! I have a chipped turbo, and cannot spin the tires in the rain even with the psm off.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Gee, I'd stick with tires size selections that are in your PCM. I run 18" winter tires and 18" AT times in summer. I have the OEM 20" Techno's and highly recommend them with Michellin Diamaris. These are best looking OEM wheels and look great on the Turbo. And, YES, handling is fantastic!!!

Our roads are deeply grooved and I drive on gravel roads and off-road. The wider 20's get thrown around a lot by our road grooves--not good! And 18's are more comfortable on our horrid roads.

However, the Diamaris do not last long--as with any true performance tire.

I recommend staying with OEM Porsche wheels. Ernie's Porsche Alloys in Florida will get a like new set to you fast and cheap. First, they are made for speed. Safety first. Second, they will have better resale value on your SUV.

I have three full sets of TPMS OEM wheels with colored center caps and tires. I use them all and they make my SUV very useful.

I autocross on the 18's because they are more durable and affordable: General AT-2's. However, I am getting better and about to swap to 20"s for autocrossing.

Definitely when I go for my road trip down the Alcan to the Lower 48, I will use the 20's.

The Diamaris are quieter and get better MPG. Handling is great and they are built to be safe at speed.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Post a pic. I'd love to see when they're on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I go from 18" to 20" tires?