Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

How did your coolant pipes go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 AM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
How did your coolant pipes go?

Did your pipes go all at once, or was it a slow seepage that occured over time? My coolant is down a little, and the temp seems to go up a tad when in heavy traffic. I am considering replacing the pipes as a preventative measure.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
All of the ones I've replaced had been catastrophic (pour water in the reservoir, watch it run right onto the ground under the engine). Of course, that doesn't mean that they didn't start out as small leaks, the owners may have just not noticed until the coolant dumped and the low-coolant light came on.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I would strongly recommend to anyone who owns the CTT which has possibility of plastic pipes, to verify for themselves if they already do not know that they do in fact have plastic pipes. Then, to plan getting the parts and do the replacement. From what I have been reading, the coolant can cause additional damage (since pipes sit on top of other components), so once the breakage occurs, it is more than just pipes to replace often time.

Here is a link that someone posted into my thread about how to check if you have plastic pipes or not (from another forum board):
CLICK HERE

Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor
dbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant future
The ones we get to the shop actually had driven in. Small seepage, distinct coolant smell. We are yet to see one on a flatbed. Which is good, I would never want anyone to go through that troubles.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I had mine done before they failed. I'm happy I did it that way.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
mgbrillo is on a distinguished road
...for peace of mind ;-)

Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 AM
X5X
X5X is on a distinguished road
I was in the middle of overtaking 2 trucks on a mountain road in Montenegro when I got the WARNING message... I still had another 7 hours of driving left... I then bought around 20+ bottles of water and constantly filled up, it acted coolant, that was a fun journey :/

The next day my mechanic replaced it with an aluminium coolant pipe.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Greg B is on a distinguished road
Fortunately, I came out to a pool of coolant in my garage. Much nicer than an incident on the highway out here in the desert.

Also fortunately the fix, including a new starter doused by the leak, were covered by my extended warranty.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
reedickyaluss is on a distinguished road
2 Weeks ago... left the bank... floored it. *Warning message* Coolant low.

Luckily was right by my house.

Pulled in, got out.. steam out of the hood, and a pool of coolant under the truck and two streams up the driveway.

2 weeks! Finally get it back tonight!

Long story short... no Porsche dealer in Erie PA.. just a private one man shop Porsche mechanic. Luckily hes done it before, His wife owns a Cayenne.

Guy has a ton of knowledge on the truck, just has two jobs it seems, $1500.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Done prophetically before breakage.. and before taking a 9,000 mile trip around the US in mid summer..

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
My sad story...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-cayenne.html

However, the new Touareg TDI has been a dream!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 PM
TenaciousT is on a distinguished road
Smell is key. I would get a whiff of coolant every time I parked in my garage, so took it in to get checked. Sure enough had a small leak in one them that was burning up on block. Had 56k on mine.