Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Battery for Porsche Cayenne 'S'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Raza_957 is on a distinguished road
Battery for Porsche Cayenne 'S'

Recently bought a 2009 Cayenne S, having the follwoing issues, your inputs may help find solution.

How can make sure that my battery is good? i have had few starting troubles, gauge shows slight above 12 when battery turned on, it goes further after starting the vehicle.

Is there any suitable aftermarket battery for Porshce? if yes, what is the capacity that i should look for?
There is also slight whining noise while taking the car out of parking and running in very slow speed (5-10kmph), is it from alternator?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Raza_957
How can make sure that my battery is good? i have had few starting troubles, gauge shows slight above 12 when battery turned on, it goes further after starting the vehicle.
Battery load tester. You can buy one for under $40 USD or take it to a mechanic have them load test the battery. They can also load test the charging (alternator) system.

Is there any suitable aftermarket battery for Porshce? if yes, what is the capacity that i should look for?
The make/model of the car is irrelevant (unless lightweight lithium-ion batteries are used- see GT2RS). There are only a few main manufacturers of car batteries - they are then relabeled and distributed. I have always heard great things about Interstate and Optima batteries. I have used them too with really good results.

If you want other options besides OEM, just match CCA (cold cranking amps), terminal style, terminal positive and negative position and general size.

There is also slight whining noise while taking the car out of parking and running in very slow speed (5-10kmph), is it from alternator?
I doubt it. I have not heard of an alternator whining as a failing symptom. Why did you single out the alternator?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Raza_957 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I doubt it. I have not heard of an alternator whining as a failing symptom. Why did you single out the alternator?
Thanks for your input - i am planning to visit the Porsche garage in this weekend, and will have it checked....

with regards to Alternator whining noise - i have heard similiar sound from my old Mustag GT when its alternator was on the way out, so i thought its might be same.

What kind of battery they use on 09 Porsche Cayennes? is it maintenance free or something else?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I picked up both (dual battery car)of my batteries for my CTT at Autozone. About $130 each. Way cheaper than the dealer and a super easy DIY.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Camp is on a distinguished road
The whining noise could be your power steering pump. They just had to replace the one on my CTT because it was making way to much noise. If you have PDCC on the vehicle, the pump has to work very hard. The noise could be cold fluid and the pump making noise trying to push it until it warms up.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:36 AM
CayenneS2008 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I went to Advance Auto Parts West Palm Beach ...
and got a Autocraft platinum AGM #10210828 Model H8AGM
$188.99 36 month FREE replacement if any defects...No Q asked

This was a EXACT factory replacement, it fitted, was the top of the line battery over the gold model. The exact size as I took my battery in and even the plastic clamps were exact. The battery posts were oem size, there was a breather tube in the exact same spot.

This is 900 CCA and wound over the Pepper starter so fast I was amazed...this battery has some power wow!

I did the job myself in a hour...check out this guys youtube

Make sure you connect a trickle charge under the hood before you pull the old battery or all your settings/radio codes will be gone!

Anyways the clerk said this Batt will go 7 years...its a good one...

Old 09-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CayenneS2008
I did the job myself in a hour...check out this guys youtube
Nice video find! A little overly verbose for my tastes, but definitely good nevertheless.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:42 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
+1 for the Advance Auto battery. I put one in the 996turbo and like what was mentioned it turns over like 500RPM !

They also clam they will install it for you, even on a Cayenne. 30min wait time.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Yes my Pepper is winding over very fast!!!...it 'lights up' like a Varooom!...awesome battery!...my wife not afraid to drive it now with all the key turning easy on the first flick of a twist, now its a instant start! The exhaust sound explodes with the cats out

Last edited by CayenneS2008; 09-12-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Waitin4Dv is on a distinguished road
We'll if you want to pay big bucks and have a top line battery check out total power batteries. Allot of off road race trucks use them and these are military grade used on the stealth fighters and bombers. Plus check out cranking amps verse your agm battery. Total power has about 1500 cranking amps vs the agm which is around 970

Last edited by Waitin4Dv; 09-13-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 PM
r6bruin is on a distinguished road
FYI an alternative would be Interstate MT5-49/H8. It's also a AGM with 900cca and 1000ca.

Do not ever trust whoever try to sell you the Interstate MTP-49/H8 even it is listed on their store. That battery only has 730cca and is known to have starting problem after install.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Waitin4Dv is on a distinguished road
Total power racing batteries! The end.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:35 PM
My Advance Battery is still running VERY strong...Very Happy!