Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New Stealership tactic on Coolant Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM
wfo900 is on a distinguished road
New Stealership tactic on Coolant Pipes

Not content with replacing plastic pipes that some idiot designer decided to place in the bowels of the V8 Cayenne without a warranty now Porsche dealers tell me I must replace the $1000.00 starter motor too even when there is no evidence of leaking. Have they no shame?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Greg B is on a distinguished road
Many times, like in my case, the starter motor fails. I had to do it separately since an extended warranty will not replace something until it is broke.

So that required a 100 mile tow for me to pronounce the starter motor dead. Fortunately AAA took care of the tow, but not any inconvenience caused.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM
I get all that and agree that if they get in there and they find moisture from even a small leak that it is ultimately cheaper to replace it. Starter motors are a known victim of leaks. But this is without a leak

Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
So there's no leak but the starter has gone bad? Is this the whole story or am I missing something? Nothing is perfect and they make design changes for this reason. Mine started to leak very little bit but my starter was perfectly fine. $1000 doesn't sound too bad IMO.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
so the porsche starter can not get wet? rediculous.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 PM
The starter is perfect. There is no known leak. They just wanted more $$!

Last edited by wfo900; 10-17-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Yup - sounds like they figured "while it's apart lets try and get some more $$ outta the customer.." - wonder what the list price is on the starter? It shouldn't take more then 1 hour labor to replace if the pipes are already out of the way... $1000 sounds awfully expensive under those conditions (and bet the "new" starter is a Bosch rebuilt one,)

Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wfo900
The starter is perfect. There is no known leak. They just wanted more $$!
I don't know what I was thinking. It's very hard to believe. HBL? Rockville? Arlington? Which one is it?

I'd be REALLY surprised if it was Rockville. HBL is 2 mins from where I live but I take it to Rockville for services. HBL service department has gotten better over the years though.