Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Question about wheel spacers and performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Question about wheel spacers and performance

I have a question about wheel spacers and performance. The wheel spacers (planning for 20 or 25mm ones) are made of aluminum. Light material but adds rotational weight regardless, also having to add bolt weight too.
So given all that, I wonder what the performance sacrifice would be on adding the spacers to the car. Are there any other effects, like more wear on components as bear rings, etc?

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ciaka
I have a question about wheel spacers and performance. The wheel spacers (planning for 20 or 25mm ones) are made of aluminum. Light material but adds rotational weight regardless, also having to add bolt weight too.
So given all that, I wonder what the performance sacrifice would be on adding the spacers to the car. Are there any other effects, like more wear on components as bear rings, etc?

Thanks.
On a vehicle like the Cayenne, where the wheels/tires are fairly heavy to begin with, spacers are not going to add even remotely significant weight. Also, the weight is located right at the hub of the wheel, so it has no bearing on wheel dynamics whatsoever.

I am running 15mm front/18mm rear spacers on my '09 GTS with sport design wheels. No issues whatsoever, and I do feel the wider track has improved the overall handling and composure of the vehicle.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Some questions:

1. Do you think 25mm spacers would cause the tires to stick out past the fender edge? I am not looking for a 4x4 styling. So hoping a set of 20mm or 25 mm would do the trick.
2. Also, what length bolts should I be getting assuming 25mm spacers?
3. One more, how do the spacers mount to the car? Is it you put the spacers onto rotor front and then use bolts to bolt down? Or is it you first bolt spacers to rotor holes and then bolt with another set of bolts once tire is on?
4. Does this mean I have to change the studs in the assembly to allow tires to be bolted on with spacers?

Never had these and trying to visualize how this would work. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated (of bolts/mounting, not end look with tires on). Thanks.

Last edited by ciaka; 11-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Some questions:

1. Do you think 25mm spacers would cause the tires to stick out past the fender edge? I am not looking for a 4x4 styling. So hoping a set of 20mm or 25 mm would do the trick.
2. Also, what length bolts should I be getting assuming 25mm spacers?
3. One more, how do the spacers mount to the car? Is it you put the spacers onto rotor front and then use bolts to bolt down? Or is it you first bolt spacers to rotor holes and then bolt with another set of bolts once tire is on?
4. Does this mean I have to change the studs in the assembly to allow tires to be bolted on with spacers?

Never had these and trying to visualize how this would work. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated (of bolts/mounting, not end look with tires on). Thanks.
I need some more info to properly help you:

1. What year and model Cayenne?
2. Which wheels do you have?
3. What is your tire size?

Based on this, I can tell you what spacers you will need to get a nice flush look.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:01 PM
1. 2005 Cayenne Turbo
2. Turbo sport wheels (with star caps) - Just Like This
3. 275/45 19

Originally Posted by S-B-D
I need some more info to properly help you:

1. What year and model Cayenne?
2. Which wheels do you have?
3. What is your tire size?

Based on this, I can tell you what spacers you will need to get a nice flush look.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM
1. 2005 Cayenne Turbo
2. Turbo sport wheels (with star caps) - Just Like This
3. 275/45 19
Okay....If I looked this up correctly, your wheels are 19x9 with a 60mm offset.

I would use 15mm spacers in front and 18mm in the rear. I assume you do not have a sport design body kit that extends the fenders by 14mm like the GTS.

You can also just take a straight edge measuring stick, place it vertically from the floor to the top edge of the fender and look to see how much clearance you have horizontally between the measuring stick and the top edge of the tire.

Bolts should make up the difference of the length of the spacer, so measure the stock bolts, then add the length of the spacer. That will give you the length of the bolts. Don't worry if it is off by a millimeter or two, but err on the side of them being longer, not shorter. I am using the same length bolts for 15 and 18mm spacers. Spacers/bolt are from RSS, and I got them thru Suncoast Parts.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by S-B-D; 11-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM
dimf is on a distinguished road
I use 30mm spacers (rears only 2009 GTS) on my after market 18" winter set - I think they're great. They came with a set of bolts. The spacer bolt into the hub and the wheels bolt into the spacer. I have used the same on my previous winter set - the original 18" turbo wheels with similar result. They gave the vehicle a sportier stance, and they don't stick out too much.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
TiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of light
running different size spacers on your Porsche? we manufacture TiTANIUM lug bolts for custom lengths over OEM. Just let us know the size of the spacers and we will accomodate your lugs to the dimensions needed.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dimf
I use 30mm spacers (rears only 2009 GTS) on my after market 18" winter set - I think they're great. They came with a set of bolts. The spacer bolt into the hub and the wheels bolt into the spacer. I have used the same on my previous winter set - the original 18" turbo wheels with similar result. They gave the vehicle a sportier stance, and they don't stick out too much.
I am running 18mm front / 30mm rear spacers on a 957 CTT with 18" winters. I have the fender extensions, so the rear are really flush depending on the negative camber and air height adjustment. I think if I had to do it over again, I would go with 18mm front / 25 mm rear. Although some days I do like the sportier stance of the 30mm rear.

Note, I did get extended lug bolts for each spacer size and extended locking lug bolts from RAD to make sure my CTT isn't sitting on bricks

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM
I think what I will do is to get 20mm spacers for the front and 25mm spacers for the rear (based on measuring to see how much out the wheels would need to move, to come pretty close to flush with fenders as I have them today - no flares, but stock).

We will see how that comes out.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Saggio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I am running 18mm front / 30mm rear spacers on a 957 CTT with 18" winters.
Post pictures!

Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Rampino will become famous soon enough
Can't wait to see it. I have the same stock rims and was also thinking about spacers.

[Edit] Oops! I hate forgetting that I was searching through old posts.

Last edited by Rampino; 03-29-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Turbo Alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I would love to add spacers to my 2009 Cayenne Turbo S. What would be the biggest spacers I can install (plug and play) without modifying anything on the car? Rims are 21" stock rims. Tires are Pirelli P-Zero 295ers.

Big thanks for help!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:45 PM
TCZ
TCZ is on a distinguished road
I went with 18mm rear and 14mm front.
You could go more aggressive in the rear but for my taste 14mm is the max on front for the wheels I am running (oem 21s with 50 offset).

Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Turbo Alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Thx TCZ for the pic and the answer! My rims are different as yours so I bet the offset will be different which should affect the size of the max spacers I can install, right?

Front rim/rotor
Rear rim/rotor

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about wheel spacers and performance