Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Leistung 2nd Cat Bypass & SR1 Modified Exhaust - Vid/Sound Comparisons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Vig03 is on a distinguished road
Well done Ciaka, thanks for the videos. It definitely helps having the comparisons. I like the sound of your exhaust as is and agree some of the exotic car's sound come from engine characteristics. It would be interesting to see how an X pipe would change the sound...

Old 05-17-2013, 06:16 PM
ChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to behold
I don't have experience with running a full exhaust with an x-pipe on a Cayenne yet although I hope to before long once I decide on a parts list.

The x-pipe seems to smooth out and refine the sound, in my experience with LSX cars and listening to RM's videos.

I know what you mean regarding the low rpm Porsche exhaust sound. It's even apparently on the Cayman, but the Cayman's smooths out and becomes exotic sounding at high rpm. Something like this, but deeper due to the v8 would be ideal, imo.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Here is one of the Mansory exhaust sounds I was looking at and let me say it sounds very similar.

I think it will be hard to compare this 4.5 V8 to Cayman's 3.4 V6. They are different and the sound coming out will definitely be different between then.

I was trying to view some other cars like Bugati, Ferrari, Lambo, etc, in comparable size of engine (sort of when possible). Their RPMs go higher though and my revving was up to about 2.5-3Krpm. I will have to try to do some hi rpm revving to see how it compares (stationary and in motion maybe with gopro 3 I have).

Dont get me wrong, I really like the sound of my car now. It is louder, yes, but I now get that 'I got *****' in addition to the HP it has, vs. before it having the HP but saying '***** fart' every time you bring the rpms up.

Still interested in what an Xpipe would do to this, but having doubts it would smooth things out. Will have to talk to Rob at Leistung to see what his experience says.

Here is the vid of the Mansory exhaust to compare...

Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 AM
ChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to beholdChrisGUGA is a splendid one to behold
I'm sure you've seen this, but this is Renaissance Man's Cayenne Turbo that I was referring to earlier. The video is worth another watch even if you've already seen it, imo.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I do like the sound the way it is now too. Contacted Leistung and they said they do have some xpipe that can be added but it goes more towards the middle of the car. Interesting to see what it would do.
Hard to see that I got any better mpg though from the cat remoals...was not counting on any anyways, but saw that some were talking about it in other threads. IMO, 2nd cat removal and increased mpg is buuuuulchit.

Originally Posted by Vig03
Well done Ciaka, thanks for the videos. It definitely helps having the comparisons. I like the sound of your exhaust as is and agree some of the exotic car's sound come from engine characteristics. It would be interesting to see how an X pipe would change the sound...

Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
In my experience X-pipes definitly smooth out the exhaust note and reduce the popping you get with a v8. Most all v8"s unique sounds come from the firing order, hence why a 5.0 mustang sounds so unique. Im not convinced that an X-pipe would provide any performance improvement because of the turbine wheels in the exhaust path. The turbine restriction may negate the scavenging effect common with one on a N/A engine.

The brakes look good! What mfgr did you end up going with and results?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I was not thinking of performance gains as much. I was wondering what an xpipe would do to sound coming out. So far i really like the note when idling, but have not been able to observe what it sounds like when at WOT (in the vids, the car gets further away and it becomes hard to tell...will have to mount a gopro on it to tell better). Still trying to judge whether the outcoming sound is good or if it needs some tuning. Still love it though.

The rotors are from R1 concepts, the premium performance line (cant remember exactly which name they gave them). Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
In my experience X-pipes definitly smooth out the exhaust note and reduce the popping you get with a v8. Most all v8"s unique sounds come from the firing order, hence why a 5.0 mustang sounds so unique. Im not convinced that an X-pipe would provide any performance improvement because of the turbine wheels in the exhaust path. The turbine restriction may negate the scavenging effect common with one on a N/A engine.

The brakes look good! What mfgr did you end up going with and results?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I have been scouring forums and youtube, etc, trying to make comparisons, and I must say, IMO, this is an awesome sound. Was a bit skeptical at first, maybe because the sound was dramatically altered, but after a week or two of comparisons, I must say, I have definitely made the right decision to go with this.
Wife does is not as amused, as it is louder in the cabin. Kids do say that in the rear seat, the exhaust is louder too (not excessively louder, but just louder).
MPG wise, still not sure. Have been doing some resets lately and do see a lot of 14.6, etc, vs. 13.2 etc before the change, but still,this was not the reason to make the change.

Overall: AWESOME!

Next, looking for dyno info on IPD plenum (some members stated they will do measurements before/after install), so am waiting for that info. Also, the chip tune will be in near future. First will change the DVs, and started debating go with a company which sells you maps based on your mods, or go to a place that will put it on a dyno and make runs to tweak it all (I think the later one would be better but still debating my path).

Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Great sound! I agree with Mr. Haney that engine characterics is what matters most when it comes to sound. The typical exotic sound, I hear, is contributed to having a 2-valve engine. Now that most engines are going to 4-valves, I am sure there is a good amount of acoustics engineering to make sure it sounds similar to older exotics.

Have you heard a Lexus LFA specifically engineered to sound like a F1 car?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 AM
tarik916 is on a distinguished road
Video

Thanks for the comparison videos. I'm sure they will be a big help to many who are on the fence about their next exhaust mod. I have a custom rear exhaust setup with an x-pipe immediately before the resonators.

Sound clip:

Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 PM
rbb1991 will become famous soon enough
tarik916,

That's a nice sounding exhaust!.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 PM
techno is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great videos Ciaka. I'm disappointed with the sound of my 05 CTT and want to make a simple and inexpensive change. I was thinking just to do the 2nd cat BP as that seems to make the most difference. Where would I find the pipes to do the bypass?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I would check forum buy/sell section, eBay and then start calling mfg in that order. Good luck.

Originally Posted by techno
Thanks for the great videos Ciaka. I'm disappointed with the sound of my 05 CTT and want to make a simple and inexpensive change. I was thinking just to do the 2nd cat BP as that seems to make the most difference. Where would I find the pipes to do the bypass?