Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

My Cayenne Wont start !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Jason82 has a spectacular aura aboutJason82 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rsa supra
I'm having a similar issue 2008 turbo at 62k miles.

Off and on, the "auto start" feature (i.e., turn the key a little and the car cranks as long as it needs to.) doesn't work sporadically. I replaced my battery a few month ago and it got better. But it has done it periodically since then and the last few days it seems like I have to crank it 2-3 times before it fully fires.

I spoke to one tech who suggested that it might be the ignition control module which costs about $130 plus labor, otherwise it could be the starter (though he said doubtful) which there are no Bosch rebuilds available for yet and run around $700-800.

I'm curious for more feedback. Especially if I keep having the same issue. If a $130 or even $800 part will fix it, what could the almost $3k be from?

Thanks in advance.

Were you able to fix the issue??? I'm having the exact same issue with my GTS.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:14 PM
rsa supra is on a distinguished road
Not yet. The stater and battery have been replaced and it has yet to solve the issue. My starting problem is very intermittent. It might fire up after sitting all night but take 2-5 times to start in the afternoon or when running errands. It seems to be worse when it is hot. I am dropping off the car again next week for a few days to see if they can figure out the issue.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
ScottK is on a distinguished road
Steering Faulty

Originally Posted by meshal
Hello..

So my Cayenne S 2008 decided not to start. It just does not do anything when I turn the ignition, plus the break is hard when I press it to start the car. I took it to the dealer, they did some "programming" and charged me for $215. They said if it happens again than I will have to replace the Steering Column + Steering Control Unit.

So, I took the car and after 10 days it happened again ! It is at the dealers now. The estimation for parts + labor (8 hours) is around $3K ....

Is it possible that the Switch is the problem ? They say No..

Has anyone had the same issue before ? Was it the Steering Column ? How much did it cost you ?

I really need your input on this so I can negotiate the dealer on the cost.

Than you
Just had the same no start and steering faulty on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo. It costs $3k mostly due to parts. Here is what happens...because Porsche built the steering lock motor into the steering column there is no way to change out just the lock motor. You must replace the whole steering column. When the steering lock motor is faulty, the car won't let you even crank the motor because of the seriousness of the steering lock. Imagine driving at 65 mph and the steering lock engaging? Not good. The car is protecting you by not letting it start. The column is $1500 and the Kessy computer that controls the steering lock is about $700. My Kessy computer was found to be inoperative. I guess the bad steering lock fried the computer or vice verse. It does suck bad for a no start condition to cost so much. So far everything is working perfect since the work was complete about one month ago. FYI to those contemplating putting in a junk yard steering column....don't do it. I got a salvage column and thought my Durametric could program it to my car. The Porsche manual states that once a steering column is paired to the car that is it. No switching to another car. I guess this is to deter theft tampering. Only the factory Porsche PWIS can read the steering faulty codes and code a new steering column. A Durametric cannot read the codes because the OBDII connector is dead with the steering faulty code latched. Bad design from the perspective of guys like me who love DIY. Still love my Cayenne!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 AM
08CS4.8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rsa supra
Not yet. The stater and battery have been replaced and it has yet to solve the issue. My starting problem is very intermittent. It might fire up after sitting all night but take 2-5 times to start in the afternoon or when running errands. It seems to be worse when it is hot. I am dropping off the car again next week for a few days to see if they can figure out the issue.
We're you able to figure out what's wrong my 08 cayenne is doing the exact same thing.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Loving-it-22 is on a distinguished road
The hard to start condition after driving a bit could be the high pressure fuel pump. Just a thought

Old 10-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I actually just had that replaced as per the recall not to long ago.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Well, since this thread is over 15 months old - and the OP hasn't posted here in over a year - don't hold your breath.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM
I think he was responding to my comment about the hpfp being a possible cause... Anyway, did it act the same before the new pump? When it doesn't want to start, does the starter sound the same as it does when it fires over normally? Do you hear the pump priming when you open the drivers door on the times it doesn't want to start?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 AM
When it doesn't want to start. The starter only makes one crank and just stops and I have to cycle the key all way off and try again. This happened to me 5 times in a row the other day before it finally started. It starts up fine every single morning, but after driving when its hot it will give me this issue. I have to listen and see if I hear the fuel pump prime next time. I tested the charging system with a multimeter and I am getting 13.97 volts with the engine running, around 13.65 with every electrical item inside the car turned on as well as the headlights, and 12.6 with the engine off which means the battery is 100 percent. This battery is also less than a year old. The only thing I notice that is strange is my interior lights and dashboard will slightly dim right after start up and then return to full brightness.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Does the starter sound weak? If not the starter, it sounds like an ignition switch that isn't powering it long enough to start. Though if it only does it when warm, really sounds like a starter issue to me

Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 AM
The starter doesn't sound weak. I am thinking it is something electrical like you're saying. Rsasupra has the exact same problem as I am and said in an earlier post that he replaced the battery and starter and it did nothing. Im hoping he chimes in with a fix.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 AM
rsa supra is on a distinguished road
I still haven't figured out the issue with my Cayenne. The issue has improved, but has still not been resolved. They have replaced the starter, alternator (seemed as though it was over charging the battery), replaced the battery with a larger battery and it still has the issue. And in the middle of all of that, the high pressure fuel pump died which had been replaced under a TSB 3 years and 20k miles ago while the car was under warranty. Porsche said to go fly a kite when the dealer requested they cover the pump they'd just replaced...

It is very intermittent. It starts right up in the morning with no issues and then it may or may not start the first try when leaving my office and then running errands it will take 2-3 tries to start. Doesn't make a lot of sense so I can see why they're having such a hard time trying to diagnose the issue.

I'm going to leave the car again for a few days next week when I go to SEMA and hope they can figure something out.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:32 PM
TurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really nice
I have this same issue this morning. Turn the key and nothing happens. The light porsche logo on the computer by speedometer comes on that's it. It's like the ignition sensor isn't liking the key. Can't get it out of park and it's stuck in the garage. I don't have a spare key and I tried a jump and no difference. Not the battery. Help

Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 AM
TurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really nice
Originally Posted by TurboSOnly
I have this same issue this morning. Turn the key and nothing happens. The light porsche logo on the computer by speedometer comes on that's it. It's like the ignition sensor isn't liking the key. Can't get it out of park and it's stuck in the garage. I don't have a spare key and I tried a jump and no difference. Not the battery. Help
Did any of you guys figure this problem out? Looks like I am getting a tow to the dealer today. It seems to me like a key or ignition issue because the tumbler is not even turning the radio on. Battery says 12.35V.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by TurboSOnly
Did any of you guys figure this problem out? Looks like I am getting a tow to the dealer today. It seems to me like a key or ignition issue because the tumbler is not even turning the radio on. Battery says 12.35V.
It's always good to list the outcome for future searchers. The dealer ended up disconnecting power to steering column and electronics that control that. He then powered everything up and went through a reprogramming of the steering column lock. So far it's working but he said if it happens again we will have to do the whole steering column replacement. I've had it back a week. Just FYI, if you put your key in the ignition and don't hear it automatically unlock the steering column this is likely your problem. This happens before you turn the key. Btw I spent 500 in labor for the diagnostic and reprogramming.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Cayenne Wont start !