Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

My Cayenne Wont start !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 PM
meshal is on a distinguished road
My Cayenne Wont start !

Hello..

So my Cayenne S 2008 decided not to start. It just does not do anything when I turn the ignition, plus the break is hard when I press it to start the car. I took it to the dealer, they did some "programming" and charged me for $215. They said if it happens again than I will have to replace the Steering Column + Steering Control Unit.

So, I took the car and after 10 days it happened again ! It is at the dealers now. The estimation for parts + labor (8 hours) is around $3K ....

Is it possible that the Switch is the problem ? They say No..

Has anyone had the same issue before ? Was it the Steering Column ? How much did it cost you ?

I really need your input on this so I can negotiate the dealer on the cost.

Than you

Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 PM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by meshal
Hello..

So my Cayenne S 2008 decided not to start. It just does not do anything when I turn the ignition, plus the break is hard when I press it to start the car. I took it to the dealer, they did some "programming" and charged me for $215. They said if it happens again than I will have to replace the Steering Column + Steering Control Unit.

So, I took the car and after 10 days it happened again ! It is at the dealers now. The estimation for parts + labor (8 hours) is around $3K ....

Is it possible that the Switch is the problem ? They say No..

Has anyone had the same issue before ? Was it the Steering Column ? How much did it cost you ?

I really need your input on this so I can negotiate the dealer on the cost.

Than you
Might be the ignition switch is fried? I'm guessing you don't have an extended warranty? If so it should cover electrical.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
I can't think of any reason the steering column would need to be replaced for a no-start issue. Do you have any more details?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Your exprience is similar to my problem on my Corvette. I double checked all of the main wire power and found out the power was not going through the ignition switch. Did you or the dealer checked the main power fuse?

Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 AM
hadydaddy is on a distinguished road
i am experiencing the same, the car simply wont start, no indication of low battery...everything lights up well.
the workshop is confused...

Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Thank you all for your input. They changed the Steering Column and the Steering Control Unit. Every thing now is OK so far. Total cost was about $2900

Originally Posted by hadydaddy
i am experiencing the same, the car simply wont start, no indication of low battery...everything lights up well.
the workshop is confused...
Is the steering locked? Do you feel that the brake is hard when you press it ? If yes, than I think you have the same issue of mine.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM
steering, brakes all fine.
i drove it to work in the morning and at lunch just didnt start
thats a lot of money!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM
its getting diagonized so hopefully it will be resolved

Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by hadydaddy
its getting diagonized so hopefully it will be resolved
I hope it will be something easy to fix. Keep us updated

Old 07-25-2013, 03:25 AM
hi guys

the car is back and operating, the electrician said it was few jumbled up wires that had to be sorted so i am hoping it will keep on starting as i demand or until the battery drops dead.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Glad to hear your back enjoying your vehicle. I wonder how the wires got all jumbled up ?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM
rsa supra is on a distinguished road
I'm having a similar issue 2008 turbo at 62k miles.

Off and on, the "auto start" feature (i.e., turn the key a little and the car cranks as long as it needs to.) doesn't work sporadically. I replaced my battery a few month ago and it got better. But it has done it periodically since then and the last few days it seems like I have to crank it 2-3 times before it fully fires.

I spoke to one tech who suggested that it might be the ignition control module which costs about $130 plus labor, otherwise it could be the starter (though he said doubtful) which there are no Bosch rebuilds available for yet and run around $700-800.

I'm curious for more feedback. Especially if I keep having the same issue. If a $130 or even $800 part will fix it, what could the almost $3k be from?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 AM
i learned that the previous owner had an engine overhaul due to water and oil mixture so that could be the reason.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rsa supra
I'm having a similar issue 2008 turbo at 62k miles.

Off and on, the "auto start" feature (i.e., turn the key a little and the car cranks as long as it needs to.) doesn't work sporadically. I replaced my battery a few month ago and it got better. But it has done it periodically since then and the last few days it seems like I have to crank it 2-3 times before it fully fires.

I spoke to one tech who suggested that it might be the ignition control module which costs about $130 plus labor, otherwise it could be the starter (though he said doubtful) which there are no Bosch rebuilds available for yet and run around $700-800.

I'm curious for more feedback. Especially if I keep having the same issue. If a $130 or even $800 part will fix it, what could the almost $3k be from?

Thanks in advance.
A starter replacement at 62K is indeed doubtful. Have you ever had any coolant leaks that might have damaged the starter?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
A starter replacement at 62K is indeed doubtful. Have you ever had any coolant leaks that might have damaged the starter?
Not doubtful at all, I replaced mine at 53000miles

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Cayenne Wont start !