Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

I'm Hating the Stealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:54 PM
BobbySpeed will become famous soon enoughBobbySpeed will become famous soon enough
I'm Hating the Stealer

Brought in the Cayenne to (finally) swap back to summer tires ($125 plus tax).
When I drove in to have them swapped (from 30 miles away) in December they were fine. I arrived 30 minutes before the stealer opened, and I sat in the car for 30 minutes at their garage door waiting for them to open. When they opened the door I pulled straight in and they wrote the mileage down and pulled it into an open bay.
They wrapped my tires, threw them in the back and I picked it up later that day and paid the bill. Next I drove home, pulled my car into the driveway, and rolled my tires across my spotless garage floor into the corner they sat in till Tuesday evening.
I dropped the car off Wednesday morning, and then got the call- one of my tires has a bolt in it and it is flat! Funny, they all rolled across my spotless garage floor like they were inflated. It didn't go flat when I was waiting at their garage door. They took it off and they didn't mention anything about a bad tire.
I was at work, and needed my car back in working order, so they beat me out of $325 for a tire (mounted, balanced, new valve stem, and wheel weights). The valve stem was $8.13!!! I used to work for Badyear Tire and Rubber Corporate, and valve stems cost us less than $1. They charged me $60 for the mount and balance, but I was paying for an hour of labor already, so isn't that double-charging me???
I called other dealers and they were $25 cheaper for the tire (mounted, balanced, new valve stem, and wheel weights), and the local tire shop gave me a price of $260 installed plus tax.
Pepe Porsche in White Plains, NY- good prices on the front end, because they'll make it back later.
From now on I go to a local Porsche indie for paid service, and the stealer for warranty work.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Wait... you were paying them $125 to do nothing but swap the winter tires for summer tires (which I assume were on wheels already)...

So you were willing to pay them a hundy for 10 minutes of work that required nothing more than a jack, impact gun, and torque wrench if they were motivated enough to use it.

You had it coming.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
BobbySpeed will become famous soon enoughBobbySpeed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Vicious
Wait... you were paying them $125 to do nothing but swap the winter tires for summer tires (which I assume were on wheels already)...

So you were willing to pay them a hundy for 10 minutes of work that required nothing more than a jack, impact gun, and torque wrench if they were motivated enough to use it.

You had it coming.
Actually, that's a good price- others charge up to $200, and yes they do use a torque wrench.

However, I should just go spend the $$$ on a quality jack and stand set, plus a torque wrench, and do it myself- for that you are right.

Don't you too find it odd that the tire wasn't flat when they took it off, the tires were stored safely, rolled fine across the garage floor, but was found flat by the stealer?
Think I should call the dealer's principal or PCNA?

Old 05-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
A low tire with no load on it won't feel THAT much different than one at correct pressure, so it's possible it was low and you just didn't notice.

Did they show you the tire with the hole in it?

Why take it to the dealer in the first place?.. $125-200 to change wheels? f-me i'm in the wrong business. I'd do that chit all day long for that kind of money.

Any tire shop can do it (it's just 5 studs per wheel, hit it with a torque wrench, not rocket science) and would probably charge you $20 for all 4, if they charged you at all.

Like I said, even offering to pay that much just to swap wheels was asking to get a foot up your ***.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Actually, the point was to get any updates since it wouldn't be back until 20K service, and I was pressed for time.
Indies around here charge $20-$30 per tire to swap because they are big and heavy, so for a few bucks more I was hoping to make the service manager see I was faithful, as many have said you should do in this forum, and take good care of me when I need them. Additionally, regular tire shops will scratch the hell out of my wheels.
But how is it that the tire wasn't flat when I pulled in, and how is it that they didn't see it when they took it off and wrapped it?
You wouldn't think that they would do it to customers who bought their cars from them.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
Ya got screwed!!! errrr.....bolted! Whatever the case, The dealer is out to make money and pray on your need for convenience. They did both today with you. Hit a local tire place and you should expect to spend no more than $60 mounted and rebalanced. Welcome to Porsche though.........

Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I just checked prices on line an the big local chain charges $27.50 for each tire and wheel swap-$112. Stealer is $13 more, they use a torque wrench, don't scratch my wheels and wash the car. The other good part is that they use a Hunter Road Force balancer, while the locals don't and I ended up taking my Audi back because they didn't balance them right when I bought a new set of tires.
The bad tire is BS and down right evil.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
Actually, the point was to get any updates since it wouldn't be back until 20K service, and I was pressed for time.
Indies around here charge $20-$30 per tire to swap because they are big and heavy,

man do they at least dip it in some 10-40 before sticking it in your ***? $20-30 PER TIRE just to unbolt it, and bolt a new one in place? Are you freaking kidding me? Most of the time (at least here in CA, where we expect to get shafted) it's $20 to patch a flat, which involved mounting, balancing, and all that jazz... and that was on my F250 diesel, don't even talk to me about 'big and heavy' lol.

You need to pull your head out of your *** and use some common sense, or you're just going to keep getting screwed by people.

I don't know the circumstances of the screw in the tire, but I think you'll be hard pressed to prove anything.

$125 to swap wheels/tires Man and I thought only attorneys could bill out $500/hr.

Oh, and I don't know about where you live, but in CA there is no tax on labor, so if you paid tax on that $125, you got double f*cked.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I have never, ever, ever heard of anyone getting charged $30 per tire to essentially rotate the tires. Those prices i'm guessing were to swap different tires onto the same wheel, which still isn't a great deal at all.

I would just about **** myself with laughter if someone tried to charge me a franklin to rotate my tires.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Take the language and attitude down a few notches, you are out of line.
I live in the most affluent county in the country so all prices are higher here.
LA was dirt cheap by comparison when I was there last month for LeMans.
$125 for any part of the first hour is average around here, plus they hand wash my car and get my wheels spotless, and gave me a Titanium S loaner.
The hand wash & wheel cleaning alone would be $25-$30 around here. I just find it hard to believe that after a 30 mile hour drive at 75 mph, followed by sitting and waiting because I was early didn't cause the tire to go flat. Why didn't they see it when they took it off?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Bobby,

Sorry to hear that, but the tires swab is an easy DIY one person job within an hour with the right equipments.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:58 AM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
I had my wheels/tires road force balanced yesterday for $100, regular "high performance" balancing is $60. They had to remove wheel, balance on machine and reinstall, presumably more than just a wheel swap.
Granted its on a 911 but once it is on the rack, what does it matter it is heavy and big?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:06 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
RIP-OFFs, bastardsssssssssssssss.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
They charged me $60 for the mount and balance; but I was paying for an hour of labor already (for the swap), and if the swap plus mount & balance are both labor and I was paying for an hour of labor (and we know they dis the whole job in less than an hour), isn't that double to -charging me???
Do you guys agree or disagree, because I am going to contact them and tell them I want that $60 credited back to my card.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
eaglejackson is on a distinguished road
FWIW, Discount Tire mounts wheels for free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm Hating the Stealer