Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What's with Cayennes and China?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
What's with Cayennes and China?

Was talking over the phone with one of the Sales guy about a purchase and he mentioned that 2 of his Cayenne's were slotted for China. Wow... I know there is a long wait for these there and I know they cost 2x more than here, but I'm wondering

1) Are the chinese doing this because it is cheaper? Or is this some illegal scam they are putting on to save money.

2) They are doing this because it is so hard to get one there.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Just a guess, but China has a booming luxury goods market. We don't.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
high demand, also much much much cheaper to buy stateside..

for example, when i was in south america the 2011 cayenne V6 was 115k USD... STARTING PRICE and half of our standard options were not standard... in other countries they are similarly expensive...

Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 AM
X5X
X5X is on a distinguished road
WOW, 115k? But yes, to buy new, cars in the states are by far the cheapest, I bought mine cheaper than the retail price in the UK at the time, since it was imported from Dubai, full-spec, few months old, barley 1k miles on clock, and most importantly, left hand drive

Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 AM
RS1000 is on a distinguished road
Dont know about China import duty. I am in Thailand. I paid $230,000 for my 2011 Diesel here. And, this is from the indy importer, not from the authorized dealer which could be much more expensive.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM
X5X
X5X is on a distinguished road
$230 uds?

Old 10-25-2011, 03:33 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Porsche would be very upset if they found out that a United States dealer was selling a vehicle overseas. I think your salesman is full of it. I can't imagine any dealer taking that risk.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:33 PM
bruinxman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frank69m
Was talking over the phone with one of the Sales guy about a purchase and he mentioned that 2 of his Cayenne's were slotted for China. Wow... I know there is a long wait for these there and I know they cost 2x more than here, but I'm wondering

1) Are the chinese doing this because it is cheaper? Or is this some illegal scam they are putting on to save money.

2) They are doing this because it is so hard to get one there.
Which dealership was this?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Unless you smuggle the car in, otherwise the Chinese government will impose extremely heavy duties (200%) on it, so the customer is not saving any money, however, he can get the car much sooner, the current wait time for a Cayenne in China is 2 years. Same as for Hong Kong and their import auto tax is 115%.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
US law prevents new cars to be exported. Only used cars can be exported.

As for China, Scott is right. China is the largest car market in the world. Luxury items including cars carry a huge margin there. Brands like RR, Bentley are selling like hot cakes.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Does China and Hong Kong charge thse duties on used cars? I bet the have people drive their Cayenne over here until it is considered used (whatever that mileage may be), then import it if its cheaper.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 PM
bruinxman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Porsche would be very upset if they found out that a United States dealer was selling a vehicle overseas. I think your salesman is full of it. I can't imagine any dealer taking that risk.
Yeah I agree on this. Porsche takes these things seriously and would heavily penalize which ever dealership is doing this both monetarily as well as a loss of future allocations. Your sales guy is BS-ing you or doing something illegal...either way its not a good sign.

The first question when I bought the CS was..."where will you be garaging the vehicle?". I thought that was totally strange until they elaborated on this as they shared they had a customer export it illegally w/o informing them. I think I even signed a paper saying I wouldn't export the vehicle within a certain time frame from purchase.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bruinxman
Yeah I agree on this. Porsche takes these things seriously and would heavily penalize which ever dealership is doing this both monetarily as well as a loss of future allocations. Your sales guy is BS-ing you or doing something illegal...either way its not a good sign.

The first question when I bought the CS was..."where will you be garaging the vehicle?". I thought that was totally strange until they elaborated on this as they shared they had a customer export it illegally w/o informing them. I think I even signed a paper saying I wouldn't export the vehicle within a certain time frame from purchase.
i had to sign a paper for mine saying no sale within 6 months and cannot sell to anyone that is known exporter (the dealer checks em before i would sell against the pcna black list)

Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 PM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bruinxman

Originally Posted by wa1l1in
i had to sign a paper for mine saying no sale within 6 months and cannot sell to anyone that is known exporter (the dealer checks em before i would sell against the pcna black list)

If you go back and read some on my 1st post concerning a Cayenne, you'll read how a local dealer wouldn't sell me a Cayenne at first because they assumed I was going to export it.

A dealership can get in a lot of trouble for doing such a thing. So the sale man who told you that is either full of it, or stupid. Or very well could be both!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 PM
whatIF? is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by djantlive
US law prevents new cars to be exported. Only used cars can be exported.

As for China, Scott is right. China is the largest car market in the world. Luxury items including cars carry a huge margin there. Brands like RR, Bentley are selling like hot cakes.
This is 100% FALSE. Please don't make comments like that, if you have no clue of what you're saying. US law make no distinction between exporting new and used cars. Doing both is perfectly LEGAL. If it was illegal, how does GM/Ford and all other US manufacturers export their new cars?? Have you thought about that for a second?

This is a LIE promoted by dealers who are afraid of being penalized by the manufacturer for cars that get caught exported.

It is Porsche corporate policy. NOT US law!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's with Cayennes and China?