Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PCM v2.44 Update is well worth it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 AM
DonS is on a distinguished road
PCM v2.44 Update is well worth it

I recently had my 1 year service and had the PCM S/W version updated from v2.40 to 2.44. Also had the headlight issue, oil change and other misc items done.

The clock now is available with the temp in the lower right of the display. But, most importantly, the performance has been significantly improved when accelerating. Previously, the car would hesitate a fraction between gears and do other strange shifts. Now it's a smooth acceleration from all speeds. Actually feels like a different car. Even passengers noticed the improvement.

So, make sure you get the update done. It is available - see the invoice pictures partway down this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958/271102-pcm-navigation-update-pcm-3-1-2012-a.html

Now, if Porsche could fix it so that audio mute is saved when turning off the car; fix the built in 5% speedometer inaccuracy; and stabilize/fix the climate control it would be even better. But, the improvement in the shift performance was a great plus in itself.

Regards

Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 AM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
Don, is yours a 2011 or 2012? I have a 2012 CS and apparently could still benefit since I have version 2.41

Edit: found one of your old posts showing you are in a 2011.

Last edited by WFBlue; 04-02-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 AM
emag is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing! Good to hear there are such a huge improvement.

I'm pretty new to Porsche, just wondering does PCM s/w update also remap the DME(ECU)?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 AM
bruinxman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DonS
I recently had my 1 year service and had the PCM S/W version updated from v2.40 to 2.44. Also had the headlight issue, oil change and other misc items done.

The clock now is available with the temp in the lower right of the display. But, most importantly, the performance has been significantly improved when accelerating. Previously, the car would hesitate a fraction between gears and do other strange shifts. Now it's a smooth acceleration from all speeds. Actually feels like a different car. Even passengers noticed the improvement.

So, make sure you get the update done. It is available - see the invoice pictures partway down this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958/271102-pcm-navigation-update-pcm-3-1-2012-a.html

Now, if Porsche could fix it so that audio mute is saved when turning off the car; fix the built in 5% speedometer inaccuracy; and stabilize/fix the climate control it would be even better. But, the improvement in the shift performance was a great plus in itself.

Regards

Don - Did the dealer charge you for the upgrade or was it free?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
BlueLodge400 is on a distinguished road
It will be covered under your warranty. Just tell them that your Satellite Radio is not saving the preset stations longer than 3weeks.

Originally Posted by bruinxman
Don - Did the dealer charge you for the upgrade or was it free?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
DonS is on a distinguished road
I was not charged for the PCM update, only the 1yr or 10K mile service ($210).

My Cayenne is a 2011 6 cylinder delivered in April 2011.

In addition, there were some other updates performed under TSBs:

- B WB40 Recode of Instrument Cluster (no charge)
(it seems the oil level readings may not be correct)

- C WB17 Check Plug Connection on the DME (no charge)
(connection had problems on some Cayenne’s)

- D AC01 Rework Headlight Locking Mechanism (no charge)

I can now accelerate smoothly through the gears from any speed, up hills, etc. Prior to the upgrade there was a slight, but noticeable, lag or hesitation in gear changes. Don't think it was an V6 vs. V8 issue, but just that the shift program for the 8 speed transmission was not tuned. It appears that it has been corrected. It is much more enjoyable to drive around town now.

If your Cayenne accelerates smoothly with even gear changes, then the update may not be applicable. But, if so, I'd check it out.

Regards.

(FYI-1: For those struggling over a V6 or V8, I tested both and decided on the V6. I then applied the dollars to options. We’ve been perfectly happy with the V6 performance. I wasn't looking for a rocket in an SUV. It has plenty of pep for our needs).

(FYI-2: option ideas:
A. Important for driving:
- Lane Change Assist - (the side mirrors are pathetically small. The LEDs on the side mirrors light up if a car is in the blind spot which is most of your left or right side with these designer side mirrors)
- Backup Camera - (big help in parking, avoiding obstacles, etc. But, useless in the rain)
- Park Assist - (it really helps in parking. You can’t see where the edges are of this vehicle are)
- PASM – (OK, everyone says you should have it. But, I honestly can’t tell much difference between Comfort, Standard and Sport)

B. other options (in no particular order):
- 4-zone Climate - (the back seat passengers love it)
- CD/DVD changer - (6-disc) (No) (OMG do they have an 8-track)(Rip your CDs to a USB and have a library of a hundred cataloged and selectable on the PCM)
- Telephone Module - (I didn’t get it. You don’t need it unless you want to plug your GSM SIMM card into the PCM. You can connect your phone to the audio with Bluetooth. Won’t work with Verizon – its not GSM)
- Porsche Crest on Headrests (I wasted money on these, wouldn’t do it again)
- Heated Seats – (great in cold weather, they can really fry your rear on high)
- Ventilated Seats - (nice on a really hot day sitting on leather. Depends on your climate)
- XM Satellite Radio – (I didn’t get it and you “cannot” add it later. Wish I had)
- Multifunction Steering Wheel – (I like the controls on the wheel. I could care less about shift paddles on an SUV. Get the heated version if it’s really cold where you are)
- Walnut Interior Package – (The difference between a plain looking cabin and a polished one. We felt it was worth it.)
- Exterior Package in High-gloss Black - (I didn’t like all the chrome trim around the windows. Your taste may be different. FYI: There are threads on how to cover the chrome with black tape.)
- Wheel Hub with Colored Porsche Crest – (I liked the colored logo on the wheels. These should be free.)
- Outer Door Stainless Entry Guards (7M1) – (These are Stainless kick plates where you step to get in the front seats. I like them. They may not show up in that Build Your Porsche tool.)
- Electric roll-up sunscreen for rear side – (Rear passengers love them on a hot day. Good idea if you live in a hot place).
C. Other options
– I’ve just mentioned those I felt were of note. Many of these came with the Premium Package Plus (that’s where that savings getting the V6 went).
)

Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM
vitaman will become famous soon enough
Great option review. They can add up fast and are unique to Porsche. If you are coming from a Mercedes or BMW they can be befuddling. Good to get your commentary on how worthwhile they are.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM
AJRDU is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WFBlue
Don, is yours a 2011 or 2012? I have a 2012 CS and apparently could still benefit since I have version 2.41

Edit: found one of your old posts showing you are in a 2011.
I have version 2.40 and I've asked Leith about the update. They don't seem to be able to find any information. If you get them to update yours, let me know.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 PM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AJRDU
I have version 2.40 and I've asked Leith about the update. They don't seem to be able to find any information. If you get them to update yours, let me know.
will do AJ.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting- I have an early build V6 (Nov 2010) and would like this upgrade, however I don't think the only local dealer in town would do this free of charge. It never hurts to ask I suppose.

I am also curious about the transmission mapping- would an updated PCM affect this? I did have a TSB completed (WA73) that was a reprogramming the tiptronic controls... but if an updated PCM does improve the drive, I'm even more eager to get this update.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Dbezerra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slw23
Thanks for posting- I have an early build V6 (Nov 2010) and would like this upgrade, however I don't think the only local dealer in town would do this free of charge. It never hurts to ask I suppose.

I am also curious about the transmission mapping- would an updated PCM affect this? I did have a TSB completed (WA73) that was a reprogramming the tiptronic controls... but if an updated PCM does improve the drive, I'm even more eager to get this update.
Just did the update free of charge at the Bellevue, Wa dealer. I had an issue with the water temperature gauge getting crazy and going all the way up and according to the dealership this is also addressed by the PCM upgrade (I have my doubts... but I took it anyway).

Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Aperture776 is on a distinguished road
I don't think reprogramming the PCM affects the transmission mapping. It just wouldn't make sense that the PCM is connected to the ECU. I could be wrong though.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
SDA1906 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the heads up on the SW update Don. I got mine today at the Tysons, VA shop (free). They never make anything easy. I showed them how my XM stations were deleted when I droped it off and they called me back saying my car was ready and that the XM stations go out under bridges and in garages. They must think we are stupid and can tell us anything because I told him that my 5 year old son knows that, I was talking about the SW update to fix the presets. I had to email the service tech your pictures (thanks again). They found the update an hour later and put it in. Having the time on the screen is nice.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM
AJRDU is on a distinguished road
After much conversation with my dealership and showing them the invoice and screen shot from above, I too was able to get the update. Now my sports teams and stocks are there when I restart the car (they were disappearing before). I also now have the time on my PCM screen.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
race3 is on a distinguished road
i have version 2.4.2 and wonder what's different if I upgrade to 2.4.4. How can I find out? anyone? thx.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCM v2.44 Update is well worth it