Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Compass Display on Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Compass Display on Instrument Panel

Greetings.
I have been reading here for months but am posting for the first time. The info that I have gotten from everyone on here is astounding- thank you all.
I am getting closer to ordering a Cayenne which will be my first Porsche.
I have been reading and digesting info on here like a hungry bear. In my searches I cannot figure out exactly what the option- "Compass Display on Instrument Panel"- actually does. Assuming I got a clock on the center of the dashboard and not the compass, what are the options for seeing a compass on the PCM? Is the above option necessary to see a compass or does it come up on the display without purchasing that option. (I hope I said that clearly- ha)

Thanks for any help. Rob.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Cowboys5 is on a distinguished road
There is also an electronic compass as part of the PCM so just getting the no cost clock is fine.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Cowboys5
There is also an electronic compass as part of the PCM so just getting the no cost clock is fine.
That sounds like good news. So the few times I would want to look at a compass I can see one in the PCM display without having to order an option.

Can anyone explain what the $270 option "Compass Display on Instrument Panel" actually does?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 AM
vitaman will become famous soon enough
The Compass display is cool. Do a search on it. Pretty much everyone who ordered it likes it. It is way more visually interesting and attractive than the electronic one.
The clock that would fit in the same place is not all that easy to read.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
Photo of dash compass. Top set of numbers in the center is the altitude and the botton set of number is the direction in degrees. In the 2013, the bottom set can be changed to display the time. You also have a compass on the PCM display that shows up if the "Car" button is pressed.

From the Technik book:

Compass display (optional)
In addition to the display of the four cardinal and intercardinal points of the compass
in the instrument cluster with PCM, a compass display on the dashboard is available
in combination with PCM.
The compass consists of the fixed LCD display in the center and the outer movable
ring. The red marking on the ring indicates the cardinal point of the compass. The
central display shows the current degree heading of the driving direction and the
altitude of the vehicle position. The device also has a display in which the altitude
above sea level and the compass direction are displayed. The compass direction is
displayed rounded off to the nearest degree. The altitude above sea level can be
displayed in meters or feet. The value range extends from - 999 m/ft to 19,999
m/ft. The display values are determined by PCM from the GPS data and transmitted
to the compass via CAN.

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Sorry I was looking at this whole things incorrectly. I didn't realize that the option "IS" the dash compass. I thought it was an option to make a compass show up on the PCM screen. I should have known better after reading all the posts for the last few months. I was thinking that the compass option was selected under the $500 background color page- Sorry.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
012cs is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you connect the compass to a new head unit? Can you use the CANBus software ?

How do you connect the compass to a new head unit? Can you use the CANBus software ?

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Photo of dash compass. Top set of numbers in the center is the altitude and the botton set of number is the direction in degrees. In the 2013, the bottom set can be changed to display the time. You also have a compass on the PCM display that shows up if the "Car" button is pressed.

From the Technik book:
Compass display (optional)
In addition to the display of the four cardinal and intercardinal points of the compass
in the instrument cluster with PCM, a compass display on the dashboard is available
in combination with PCM.
The compass consists of the fixed LCD display in the center and the outer movable
ring. The red marking on the ring indicates the cardinal point of the compass. The
central display shows the current degree heading of the driving direction and the
altitude of the vehicle position. The device also has a display in which the altitude
above sea level and the compass direction are displayed. The compass direction is
displayed rounded off to the nearest degree. The altitude above sea level can be
displayed in meters or feet. The value range extends from - 999 m/ft to 19,999
m/ft. The display values are determined by PCM from the GPS data and transmitted
to the compass via CAN.