Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Critical Buyers Decision…How good is the Cayenne's AC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM
ikegram is on a distinguished road
Critical Buyers Decision…How good is the Cayenne's AC?

FYI...I also posted the following on rennlist

Would really appreciate your collective feedback in attempting to avoid a case of buyers remorse. After some help from fellow board members as to what is contained with the 4-Zone system in the Cayenne, I'm now suspecting that the reason Porsche is offering this option is kind of an acknowledgement that the AC system in the Cayenne is 'weak' for the size vehicle.

I thought the 4-Zone option might be an aid for those who were ordering the Pano roof but research I've done on this board and others seems to indicate that without it, the default system 'struggles' to cool down a Cayenne that may have been sitting in the sun vs. maintaining an already cool vehicle. Now I realize what is cool may be a subjective thing, but feedback from folks in places like Florida state that in some cases they wish they'd ordered the 4-Zone option. I plan to purchase a Diesel and this option will not be available to me. I've live in the Southeast were things can get quite hot in summer. So I'd appreciate folks feedback on the Model 958's ac system…thx.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Get it!
The regular AC could use some help,it takes a little time and has to be on full blast to be effective..but does eventually cool the car down nicely
I wish I had ordered it!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
No problem here, mine cools the cabin in a couple of minutes after being outside for hours with temperatures above 100F, and I dont have 4 zone climate control.
I wouldnt order the pano roof though, I had it in my first 958 Cayenne and I could feel the sun hitting over my head with the mesh closed.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
peeper09tt: to your comment, "Get it"...I would love to but it is not available on the Diesel...luv that engine though...addicted to torque ;-)

galion: your feedback is appreciated. I'd seen comments like yours that for folks who do not have the Pano roof (I'm planning to get the regular sun roof)...the AC appears to work ok.

Other feedback?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Perhaps I am being overly critical,it does its job well..just not as quickly as the one in my 2001 Audi A6,which works almost immediately
Got to complain about something,after all everything else works so well
And also,I do have the pano roof-which probably makes the inside hotter when parked in sun( don't park under trees anymore to avoid bird and tree droppings) )

Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
On a different note, I was concerned about the optional ventilated seat since the one in my SL500 is useless. I sat in a cayenne at the dealer the other day and was thrilled with how much air it blows on your back. I will order it with that. But I would also like to hear from people who have it already and what you think?
Thanks, Rob

Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Definitely get the 4-zone, this is the reason that we are ordering the V6 instead of the diesel.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Get the 4 zone.

I can control my kids rear temps, direction, blower, they all hvr own compressor, blower. Cools my cayenne with pano record speed.
Worth every penny.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 PM
littodevil is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
On a different note, I was concerned about the optional ventilated seat since the one in my SL500 is useless. I sat in a cayenne at the dealer the other day and was thrilled with how much air it blows on your back. I will order it with that. But I would also like to hear from people who have it already and what you think?
Thanks, Rob
Rob.. there's optional ventilated seats?! I hope i got that option!! what is it listed under? Is it also part of the premium package?

Larry

Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 AM
TGED is on a distinguished road
The ventilated seat is part of the premium plus pkg, or it is also available as an individual option.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 AM
greg_g is on a distinguished road
I too wanted the 4-zone, because of my experience with the Touareg dual zone climate control. On the hottest of days, it felt quite anemic up front - so I'm sure it was worse in the back. I too was quite disappointed that the US-spec CD could not be ordered with 4-zone, but I got one anyway (regular sunroof). So far, so good. But I've only got 900 miles on it, so there have been very few occasions where I had rear passengers. Plus the CD has heated/ventilated front seats, so that probably helps.

But with or without 4-zone, I'd still take the diesel over the base VR6. And perhaps by the time the warranty's up on this one, the Cayenne Diesel S will be available over here.

//greg//

Last edited by greg_g; 10-05-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Jon H... is on a distinguished road
If the climate control is in "Auto" mode the air flow to the back is weak, if it is on front vent mode the air to the back is much better.

(On my 997.2 I seldom use "Auto" mode during the day, front vent only.)

Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Jon H. for that tip