Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Installed my Valentine 1 Easily for 958 2011 and On

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Installed my Valentine 1 Easily for 958 2011 and On

I wanted to share a very easy way to install your Valentine 1 (or any radar detector) if you have an automatic dimming mirror on your 958 Cayenne.

1) Simply pop off the cap piece above the mirror, by pulling gently on the piece. It is held in place by simple clips.
2) There are 2 sets of wiring running down to the mirror.
3) Find the set of wires with a blue and brown wire in the set.
4) Blue is 12V switched power, Brown is ground.

Enjoy!!

Since the Valentine 1 uses much less than 2A (V1 fuse is rated at 2A), you can easily take power from the mirror. Take it from an electrical engineer, no need to run wiring all the way to the fuse box.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Nice post, thank you from all that are still wondering how to do this and the best process.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Dr99 is on a distinguished road
Good info...where did you hide the power adapter? Did you just chop a phone cord down to a few inches?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr99
Good info...where did you hide the power adapter? Did you just chop a phone cord down to a few inches?
There is plenty of room under that plastic trim. Easily will fit and then some!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:38 PM
danac123 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
There is plenty of room under that plastic trim. Easily will fit and then some!
Do you have any photos of how it looks on the mirror, did not need to buy the mirror bracket separate?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Ken Brookings is on a distinguished road
I did mine the same way and it is easy and works just fine. The unit itself tucks up just right at the top of the windshield such that with the visor down the rear sensor is still exposed.

But then I changed the wiring set up because I added this device:

I ordered from Valentine this little device (forgot what its called) that plugs into your OBDII port that lets you set a low speed cut off point for radar detection. For example I set mine at 40 mph, then at speeds below 40 the detector is silent. Very nice to get rid of false signals from sensor driven building doors and such and I don't speed in neighborhoods so I don't need to be warned at these lower speeds. I think it was 30 dollars or something in that range for the little device an it works perfectly.

Ken

Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by danac123
Do you have any photos of how it looks on the mirror, did not need to buy the mirror bracket separate?
No mirror mount needed, since I used the suction cup mount. The space under the plastic trim is used for excess wiring and your fuse. The V1 comes with a coil wire and a flat wire both with modular phone jack connectors at each end. These wires should not really be cut, so you can place the excess under the plastic trim.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
No mirror mount needed, since I used the suction cup mount. The space under the plastic trim is used for excess wiring and your fuse. The V1 comes with a coil wire and a flat wire both with modular phone jack connectors at each end. These wires should not really be cut, so you can place the excess under the plastic trim.
Nice ideas. Thanks for the posts to you and Ken. Would love to see some pictures though to get better idea. So the suction cup mount, when you remove the unit, are there wires dangling or do they unplug with modular or ?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by nhirsch
Nice ideas. Thanks for the posts to you and Ken. Would love to see some pictures though to get better idea. So the suction cup mount, when you remove the unit, are there wires dangling or do they unplug with modular or ?
In my case there would be a short little stub of a the cable, about two inches exposed - but I never take it out.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Did you need the V1 BOB device to keep it on during auto-shutoff? Or is there enough power that it doesn't care?
(http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/bob.asp)

Did you just use the vampire clip on the blue wire?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Why would you want your V1 to remain on while the vehicle is off? Not like there is much risk of a speeding ticket in that case and if you do have that problem I suggest having the dealer fix your parking brake

Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't feel like listening the the annoying V1 startup tones when the Cayenne shuts off to save gas. If I'm in stop and go, it would be rather frequent. Yes, I can turn off the auto stop/start, but don't always do so.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Ah didn't think about that.

Yet another reason to hate this start/stop function idea (or love that the Diesel doesn't have it).

I'm not a fan of splicing into wires (I use a fuse tap for my V1), but I honestly have no idea if coming off a fuse would be better here or not since I don't have this annoying feature to contend with.

You might send an email to Mike and ask him about the problem and his ideas on a solution. I've always found him to be exceedingly helpful when I've had questions.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't recall exactly how I had mine wired up; but it goes off when the power if off using the key but does not go off when I use Stop/Start.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ken Brookings
I don't recall exactly how I had mine wired up; but it goes off when the power if off using the key but does not go off when I use Stop/Start.
That's what I would have guessed as radio, lights, etc doesn't go off with auto-stop.

Valentine provides a way to know which wire is correct. I found this description and how to find the right wires for a pigtail "mirror tap" they sell to provide power from auto-dimming rear view mirrors. This seems like what OCNYPORSCHE did directly and confirms that power requirements to the mirror will provide enough power.

"No More coiled cigarette lighter power cords. The MirrorTap Power Cord simply plugs into any wire harness close to your AUTO DIMMING MIRROR, whether it be exposed on the rear face of the mirror (most common application), or inside the Wire Cover at your windshield (2010 & newer Camaros, and many 2012 & newer vehicles), or inside the Headliner (Acura TL, and very few others). No cutting or splicing wires and No Messin with the Air Bags inside your A-pillar as is done with regular hardwire installations to the fuse box under the Dash. Guidelines on Using a Voltmeter to Locate Power and Ground: (#1) First set your voltmeter to the continuity setting (should beep when you touch the red and black probes together, telling you they are shorted) (#2) Find a ground on the car somewhere, like a bolt under the dash, or a metal cross member. (#3) Put the black probe on that ground, and touch the back of each exposed wire connector in the mirror harness with the red probe. (#4) For each wire that beeps, that means that wire is grounded. Turn the ignition to the on position, then back to off, and make sure it beeps regardless of ignition position. (#5) Put the voltmeter into VDC mode, to measure DC volts, turn the ignition to the on position. (#6) Put the black probe on the ground wire found in #4. (#7) Touch each of the wires in that harness with the red probe, and note which one(s) gives you +12-14 volts, turn the ignition off to verify that the volt readings go down to zero or close to zero. (Finally) That should define which two ports in that harness into which you would plug the MirrorTap, the black Prong into #4 above, and the Red to #7."

I'd still love to see the pictures of it - especially if it can be above the mirror--and to know that the rear facing antenna is functional.

Last edited by nhirsch; 01-16-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Installed my Valentine 1 Easily for 958 2011 and On