Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Diesel: Addition of BlueSpark Pro + Boost Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting, but confusing. Points to ponder:
1. Porsche claims max torque available from 1750 rpm through 2750 rpm.

Your charts don't even indicate that low. Were these tests by any chance conducted from a rolling start?
2. Further, Map0 is ostensibly straight through the BSP; factory settings, where torque and hp curves intersect around 4400 rpm. Intersecting curves are normal - and expected - on hp vs torque graphing. That's the data point around which gear changes are considered. From what I can see, your guy charted to 5000, yet didn't plot a single intersection.
3. It's also important to consider where the tests reveal your hp and torque peaks. Granted the changes are slight, but reasonably consistent. Generally, each successive map makes max hp and/or torque available a little sooner.
4. Additionally, your graphs demonstrate that Maps 7/8/9 progressively prolong the factory torque curve. In other words, it doesn't drop off as rapidly as does the factory default.
5. The data I got with my BSP suggests that Map 9 provides max horsepower, max torque provided in Map 8. This is not reflected in your graphs. I can't help but think that your dyno shop was using a different set of test parameters that did BlueSpark and/or Porsche (reinforced by #1 and #2 above).

I realize that both Porsche and BlueSpark are motivated to show their numbers in the best light. But at least they somewhat agree with each other. Your dyno data is inconsistent with both. Short version; I suspect you may not have gotten your money's worth.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 09-04-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by grohgreg
Your charts don't even indicate that low. Were these tests by any chance conducted from a rolling start?
As I mentioned, they were done in 6th gear.

2. Further, Map0 is ostensibly straight through the BSP; factory settings, where torque and hp curves intersect around 4400 rpm.
No they don't. That is a function of using different scales for each. The Porsche graph (as well as others I've seen) is using a different scale for HP and Torque while these dyno readouts use the same scale for both. If you look at the end of the Porsche graph the Torque is still over 220 while the HP is just over 200. There is no real intersection.

Why this dyno (or these runs?) doesn't use different scales for each is unknown to me, but that doesn't change that there is no real intersection.

3. It's also important to consider where the tests reveal your hp and torque peaks. Granted the changes are slight, but reasonably consistent. Generally, each successive map makes max hp and/or torque available a little sooner.
4. Additionally, your graphs demonstrate that Maps 7/8/9 progressively prolong the factory torque curve. In other words, it doesn't drop off as rapidly as does the factory default.
Yes. While the gains aren't nearly as impressive as BS claims in the graph that came with the unit (posted earlier), the overall patterns seem to be correct.

5. The data I got with my BSP suggests that Map 9 provides max horsepower, max torque provided in Map 8. This is not reflected in your graphs. I can't help but think that your dyno shop was using a different set of test parameters that did BlueSpark and/or Porsche (reinforced by #1 and #2 above).
I know you asked them for their dyno results, but I don't recall saying you got them. Did you? I'm not convinced that they actually have dyno'd it and instead are going off the math.

The problem with comparing to the Porsche numbers is the test method. I'm not pulling my engine out to get a real crank measurement.

Your dyno data is inconsistent with both. Short version; I suspect you may not have gotten your money's worth.
Other than the table top effect on the Porsche graph (which I've always wondered about as I've never seen that before), my dyno results are in line with what they show when you account for drivetrain loss (depending on who you talk to and which dyno you are talking about 15-20% is the accepted loss). Unless you have actual dyno results from BS then there is nothing to be inconsistent with (and if there had been I wouldn't have bothered spending my time/money doing this).

Given how little change there is between the maps, operator error or unit failure has crossed my mind.

The other issue here is that even if you ignore the baseline of Map 0 which suggests a 17% drive train loss there would have to be ~33% loss to get to the peaks that they claim. There is a giant discrepancy here somewhere, but I don't know enough about dyno work (first time) to know what it is.

I would dearly love to see someone else run the same dyno tests on theirs to see what they get.

Last edited by gnat; 09-04-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Sixth gear, 1:1 ratio. I get it. But the single pair of curves Porsche uses in touting the CNRB engine is why I suggested that your dyno guy employed different parameters. One consideration - and perhaps the basis for your drivetrain loss concern - is that Porsche numbers are measured at the flywheel. Hence your testing through the tranny at 1:1. But consider that the transmission is a torque multiplier. There's a chance that Porsche incorporated other data to gin up a hybrid set of curves

I wonder what the curve set would look like if your dyno guy would have added one last test; one foot on the brake, the other hovering over the accelerator, transmission in Drive. Floor it, releasing the brakes simultaneously. Let the tranny select its own shift points through sixth gear, stopping the test data at the 6-7 shift point. There will obviously be undulating curves produced while going through the gears, but one or more set of peaks might be revealing.

Oh, and what I asked BlueSpark for was individual hp vs torque curve sets specific to each map. At one point they said they're "working on them", but I've never bothered to follow up. Given the hundreds of different diesel makes/models/generations for which their boxes are produced, I'm not surprised they wouldn't have the time to develop individual curves for each. Besides that, I'm not even sure they'd have access to the US-spec CNRB engine.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 09-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Gnat / Greg - any updates?

Thinking about ordering this, but don't want a bunch of CEL's going off...

Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Other than the dyno not being as expected I haven't had any issues. I put it back to 7 after the dyno and have been seeing really good economy numbers (saw a 37.3 for a 16 mile mixed trip!).

The only failure lights I've had come on since I took delivery were the ABS and parking brake. Both came right after the dyno, both functioned normally, and both warnings cleared after a couple of restarts.

Even if the dyno is accurate, I still think I got my money's worth so far.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Original BSP+ apparently had a weak turbo boost circuit from the git-go, which slowly degraded over the months. BlueSpark replaced the unit without a whimper, it's in the car now. Not a single code thrown since. Preferred Map7 in the original, intend to stick with Map7 on the replacement.

//greg//

Old 09-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by grohgreg
Original BSP+ apparently had a weak turbo boost circuit from the git-go, which slowly degraded over the months. BlueSpark replaced the unit without a whimper, it's in the car now. Not a single code thrown since. Preferred Map7 in the original, intend to stick with Map7 on the replacement.

//greg//
Good to know, thanks Greg.

What do you have your boost control setting at? Just under 100%?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Good to know, thanks Greg.

What do you have your boost control setting at? Just under 100%?
just about a screwdriver blade to the left of max

Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
where in NOVA are you? I am looking to get a diesel would like to check yours out if possible.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Seamus H is on a distinguished road
BlueSpark v2

Based on the feedback on this forum I ordered up a BlueSpark Pro + Boost Control for my 2014 CD. The unit arrived in California just 5 days after being ordered. The design has been updated, see attached photo.

Jason of BS described the changes as follows: "We have actually updated the hardware to be more robust and also changed the adjustments to be easier to use. As confusing as it sounds the adjustments are the other way round. The 0-9 dial now takes the effect of the rotary blue adjuster because it is easier to set than the blue screw with limited markings. The 0-9 map selector is now changed to the jumpers 1-5 as this is plenty of maps for most people because on the old box most people tended to use maps 5-9 only anyway."

Based on that I've set the jumper to the middle (i.e. old 7) position, and the rotary dial to 8. Should get it in stalled this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bs2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	297078  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 AM
inetforce is on a distinguished road
Great, keep us posted! My diesel arrives on the 20th!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Got mine three weeks ago after a four month wait. 1,400 miles later I love it. The one issue was a rattle from the dash which the dealer rectified today. Turned out to be a loose bracket in the firewall contacting the air vent. Drove me nuts, and took them a few days to correct.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 AM
The 3 LEDs are interesting to me as mine only has one. Any info on what their significance is?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I've attached the updated doc.

"When the device has been fitted, turn the ignition key to the ON position, but do not start the engine. There should be a Blue light on the back of the unit which is now flashing. Once the engine is started the Blue light will turn steady. TheGreen and Red lights will flash in accordance with rpm when the engine is revved."

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BlueSpark Manual.pdf (322.1 KB, 1124 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Seamus H
I've attached the updated doc.

"When the device has been fitted, turn the ignition key to the ON position, but do not start the engine. There should be a Blue light on the back of the unit which is now flashing. Once the engine is started the Blue light will turn steady. TheGreen and Red lights will flash in accordance with rpm when the engine is revved."
Because you can see all that from the driver seat with the unit under the bonnet? Seems kinda silly when the blinking vs solid blue single LED works just fine...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel: Addition of BlueSpark Pro + Boost Control