Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Diesel reliability & maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM
RedBent is on a distinguished road
Diesel reliability & maintenance

Are there any common problem areas with the diesels thus far or are they still too "new" to be developing trends? Also, what are maintenance costs like? A deal I was recently said oil changes every 5k and they recommend topping off the AdBlue at the same time, draining water from fuel filter ever 10k, and then major service intervals every 20k miles. What are you guys paying for oil changes, AdBlue refills, and other services?

I am getting dangerously close to pulling the trigger on one of these fairly soon so I am trying to get a better idea of what I am getting into maintance (cost) wise.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I spent less than $100 doing the oil myself. Dealers in my area ranged from $375-$600!

I'll fill my AdBlue when it tells me I need it and I'm sure that will save a bit too.

I don't know the fuel filter procedure, but if I can find those details in the next 3k I'll try my hand at that too.

Other than twice the oil changes (which would add up at dealer prices) I think the maintenance cost of ownership is on par with the gas engines.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
I do my own oil/filter/DEF too. For oil I use the extraction method. For DEF I bought a 1/2 gallon of AdBlue ($15) from the dealer, and plan to use the empty container as a funnel to add aftermarket DEF from 2.5 gallon DEF containers ($12).

Intermediate maintenance maintenance and major service alternate every 20k. First intermediate is 20k, then a major at 40k, an intermediate at 60k, et cetera. Add a transmission service at 160k. But this schedule schedule is not dependent upon engine type, only engine and emissions related services differ. Intermediate maintenance sounds reasonable (for Porsche), but I'll likely trade mine in before the first major maintenance.

//greg//

Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Booch is a jewel in the roughBooch is a jewel in the roughBooch is a jewel in the roughBooch is a jewel in the rough
I just had the first service done at Manhattan Motorcars and it cost $573; it was an oil change, and top off of the adblue tank. I will be doing my own oil changes and top-offs from here on out, as that's just silly for something not-critical.

Quick question for the DIY'ers, are we able to easily reset the oil service notification? I'd assume so, but I haven't tried.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Unfortunately no. Stupid too, as I could reset the reminder on m last two cars. Clearly corporate greed on the part of Porsche. If you do t yourself, my dealers wants $35 to reset. Only way to do it yourself is to invest in Durametrics or PIWIS

Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Those are some crazy prices for an oil change! I guess I'll be doing them myself; I was thinking I'd just have the dealer do all the services but not at that price.

I guess I'd still need the dealer to drain the fuel filter every 10k though and perform the maintenances that come up every 20k miles. Are any of you close to that mileage and have you gotten and price quotes?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:06 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RedBent
Those are some crazy prices for an oil change! I guess I'll be doing them myself; I was thinking I'd just have the dealer do all the services but not at that price.
Call around to your local dealers and get quotes. I have 5 in my area and got over a $200 swing from the cheapest to most expensive. Personally anything more than $150 for an oil change is an insult, but YMMV and your dealer prices might be in your comfort zone.

I guess I'd still need the dealer to drain the fuel filter every 10k though and perform the maintenances that come up every 20k miles. Are any of you close to that mileage and have you gotten and price quotes?
I haven't seen a DIY for it yet, but I'm guessing it will be pretty straight forward. I plan on doing it myself when the time comes in the next 2500 miles or so.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Durametric says the latest software doesn’t support 2013 Cayennes but mine will pick up the VIN. I couldn’t get any actual values with it yet but will try a service reminder reset after an oil change next month.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Durametric says the latest software doesn’t support 2013 Cayennes but mine will pick up the VIN. I couldn’t get any actual values with it yet but will try a service reminder reset after an oil change next month.
Yes all 3 intervals can be reset with the Durametric.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
I paid 275 for the 5000 mile oil change and adblue fill. My local VW dealer quoted me 69, so I'm gonna take it there for the 10000.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by powdercoatmike
I paid 275 for the 5000 mile oil change and adblue fill. My local VW dealer quoted me 69, so I'm gonna take it there for the 10000.
For $69 you should see if they'll let you pre-buy a bunch of changes!!

I have to assume that's with you providing the parts and liquids since they are in that area by themselves, but still $69 just for the labor and fees is pretty damn good compared to my area.

Last edited by gnat; 07-23-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 AM
At 5k OCI, are these vehicles using dino oil instead of a synthetic or does the diesel just break it down that much faster?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 AM
A C30 oil also satisfies strict clean diesel emission specs. I doubt there's a 5W30 dino oil that's DPF-friendly.

//greg//

Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by RedBent
At 5k OCI, are these vehicles using dino oil instead of a synthetic or does the diesel just break it down that much faster?
Its full synth. The Treg and Q7 TDIs with the same motor have a longer OCI. There is speculation about why we have the shorter OCI, but I think most of us (that are of the do it yourself bent) agree that after we are out of warranty we'll extend that interval based on oil analysis results.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 AM
visitador will become famous soon enoughvisitador will become famous soon enough
Didn't I read somewhere (maybe from you Gnat) that one of the reasons is because Porsche is not sure about the quality of the diesel fuel in the U.S?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel reliability & maintenance