Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Sloshing sound when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Sloshing sound when coming to a stop

Just picked up a 2011 CTT - what a beast! The torque is insane, and a nice compliment to my high revving 991S.

I am getting a sloshing sound when coming to a stop. Almost sounds like gasoline in the tank! On a 2011 CTT. Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I've read about cases where the delivering dealer never removed the shipping plugs from the drain holes in the underbody (underside of the rockers) and pulling them let out quite a bit of water. I don't know what the plugs look like or where the holes are supposed to be though.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
RedBent is on a distinguished road
Question

My wife's CD makes the same noise (I think) and the service people said it's diesel fluid - which doesn't apply in your case. So, maybe it's fuel sloshing around...?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
I'm also guessing plugged drain tubes. I had this issue with my first Cayenne, a 2003 S. After about a year, this sloshing sound appeared. Turned out to be pine needles had plugged the drain tubes and was filling a cavity in the floor near the rocker panel and was attributed as a design flaw in the tubes that would allow this. Water had backed up into the cabin. My carpet on the passenger side was soaked and I ended up with a mildew smell....very not pleasant. It was going to be an expensive and lengthy fix....apparently the carpet is a single piece and had to be ordered from the factory.

Porsche and the dealer ended up giving me a very generous trade-in on a 2005 Cayenne S instead of the free repair.

MOVE QUICKLY! You do not want this mildew smell, it will never go away.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:20 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Any ideas how many tubes there are, and location? Can't seem to find a diagram or any pictures online

Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 AM
^^^ I'm curious about this as well. Also, where is your sound coming from?

The sound in my wife's vehicle sounds like its coming from the rear; it's only really noticeable when coming to a complete stop of going slowly over speed bumps, and it's a fairly faint sound.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RedBent
The sound in my wife's vehicle sounds like its coming from the rear
That's probably your AdBlue tank. I get that as well at seemingly random times too. I'm guessing they didn't baffle the tank (well or at all) and it's allowing it to slosh around some.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=RedBent;3967626]^^^ I'm curious about this as well. Also, where is your sound coming from?

I hear it more on the passengers side and rear. Called dealer, said fluid can accumulate in the rocker panels. Bringing the car in Thurs, will let you know. Seems to be a fairly common problem.

BTW was told to lift the passenger carpet and lift the little cover on the floor, exposing the frame. See if it's wet.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by gnat
That's probably your AdBlue tank. I get that as well at seemingly random times too. I'm guessing they didn't baffle the tank (well or at all) and it's allowing it to slosh around some.
That's what my wife was told when she took the car in for a "wellness check" but it's a little more reassuring to read that other CD owners experience this as well.

[QUOTE=jmorgan911;3968409]
Originally Posted by RedBent
^^^ I'm curious about this as well. Also, where is your sound coming from?

I hear it more on the passengers side and rear. Called dealer, said fluid can accumulate in the rocker panels. Bringing the car in Thurs, will let you know. Seems to be a fairly common problem.

BTW was told to lift the passenger carpet and lift the little cover on the floor, exposing the frame. See if it's wet.
That's too bad if it is a fairly common issue; build of mildew and mold sounds like a terrible, and potentially hazardous, problem to have. I'll just have to tell my wife not to drive in the rain and this gives me a excuse NOT to wash it...

Old 06-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
I thought this topic was worth revisiting since my service manager today explained the same problem happening to many models of Porsche where debris clogged the area under the rocker panels and destroyed the inside passenger side of the car. He even had one in there for that problem. He said it is a design flaw by Porsche and they always try to get the customers to go for the $170 charge to clean out the drain areas. He said water by the wiper blades feeds down to the drain tubes which can get clogged. So I wanted to bring this up again and also see if anyone knows how to do the clean out process.

Found a brief video on this:

Last edited by Harlequin NY; 06-26-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 PM
kwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nicekwp1911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
I thought this topic was worth revisiting since my service manager today explained the same problem happening to many models of Porsche where debris clogged the area under the rocker panels and destroyed the inside passenger side of the car. He even had one in there for that problem. He said it is a design flaw by Porsche and they always try to get the customers to go for the $170 charge to clean out the drain areas. He said water by the wiper blades feeds down to the drain tubes which can get clogged. So I wanted to bring this up again and also see if anyone knows how to do the clean out process.

Found a brief video on this:
Clearing Drains Porsche Cayenne - YouTube
That video doesn't show if he's at the front or rear of the vehicle. Do you know?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Not sure but in the comments below the video he answered some questions about where the plugs are. I don't know much about it but it looks like it would be smart to have the dealer do the work to avoid a big problem.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:51 PM
murnan955 is on a distinguished road
drain plug

Rocker drain plugs are at the front on both sides, very easy to see there round rubber plugs the size of a quarter, just pulled mine out "HOLY CRAP" water poured out filling a 5 gallon bucket. Hope this helps

Old 05-27-2015, 04:21 PM
We just got the left over rain from Texas today. Guess I know what I'll be doing when I get home...

Old 05-31-2015, 09:58 AM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
is there anything to take care of that noise, I have a CD and makes that noise, like water moving around inside a metal drum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sloshing sound when coming to a stop