Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne 2015 facelift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 AM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
I think the outside of a BMW looks better than the inside. Also BMW's are more commonplace than a P (MB is too)

Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by gnat
I was being sarcastic because I figured you had.

It's not just marketing, no other SUV drives like the Cayenne does. It's an amazing experience to be able to throw this 5500lb beast around an AutoX course and wipe the smug expressions off the "real" Porsche owner's faces

I hate all the buttons (and that the rear window doesn't open, the rake of the d-pillar, rear seats that don't fold flat, signal bars and fog lights that require the bumper to be removed to change, and a raft of other things), but there really is nothing that drives like a Porsche
I get that! I'm a control freak that wants to be able to turn anything in the car on/off or edit what it does LOL

Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by seabrook
I get that! I'm a control freak that wants to be able to turn anything in the car on/off or edit what it does LOL
That's part of the problem here in my opinion though. They gave you all these buttons, but you rarely use most of them. They should be moved into the PCM/MFD.

Then you get the "multi-function" wheel that only has one programmable button which isn't even context sensitive. So you can skip to the next track OR the previous track, and that is regardless of what screen the MFD is on.

You also have buttons that are counter intuitive to how ethusiasts want the car to behave (sport mode is off, stop/start is enabled, PSM is on, etc..) and they don't remember what you set them to when you start the car the next time.

With the dash interfaces they have these days there is no excuse (in my opinion as a programmer) that they don't have functionality built in so that not only can I save my seat and mirror preferences, but I can also save my settings for ALL of the functions. Even further I should be able to have multiple profiles (e.g. "Just get to point B", "Curves ahead!", "DE day", etc..).

I don't want everything on a touch screen which is one of the reasons I don't like Teslas, but a lot of clutter could easily be removed. Currently I think the interior looks like someones 50s or 60s view of what cars would look like today because they had no idea that computers would have advanced as far as they have.

At least they got the performance bits right (well except forgetting that I think sport should always be on) and that's what makes it all good in my book

Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM
That's part of the problem here in my opinion though. They gave you all these buttons, but you rarely use most of them. They should be moved into the PCM/MFD.

Then you get the "multi-function" wheel that only has one programmable button which isn't even context sensitive. So you can skip to the next track OR the previous track, and that is regardless of what screen the MFD is on.

You also have buttons that are counter intuitive to how ethusiasts want the car to behave (sport mode is off, stop/start is enabled, PSM is on, etc..) and they don't remember what you set them to when you start the car the next time.

With the dash interfaces they have these days there is no excuse (in my opinion as a programmer) that they don't have functionality built in so that not only can I save my seat and mirror preferences, but I can also save my settings for ALL of the functions. Even further I should be able to have multiple profiles (e.g. "Just get to point B", "Curves ahead!", "DE day", etc..).

I don't want everything on a touch screen which is one of the reasons I don't like Teslas, but a lot of clutter could easily be removed. Currently I think the interior looks like someones 50s or 60s view of what cars would look like today because they had no idea that computers would have advanced as far as they have.

At least they got the performance bits right (well except forgetting that I think sport should always be on) and that's what makes it all good in my book
I put in my P survey that they actually need to add a button LOL called A/C off! I hate all HMI's in any cars and prefer buttons (and analog readings) but I do understand that's just me and others love HMI's, to me HMI's remind me of my 85' corvette (yuck!).

To me the performance is ok but you have a D so you are rich with tq, plus being tuned. I drove the GTS and to me it did not make enough difference to pay 35k more. If it would have scared me (and the salesman LOL!!) like a TT then I would have bought it.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I put in my P survey that they actually need to add a button LOL called A/C off!
At least that is one setting the Cayenne remembers (that you turned it off). The 996 sets the fan back to level 1 every time you start the car.

To me the performance is ok but you have a D so you are rich with tq, plus being tuned. I drove the GTS and to me it did not make enough difference to pay 35k more. If it would have scared me (and the salesman LOL!!) like a TT then I would have bought it.
For me the CD is the hands down winner below the GTS. I am a NA guy so I'd go for the GTS over the Turbo if they were in my price range. The Turbo definitely gives you that instant kick (same with the Diesel), but that NA V8 in the GTS revs up so nicely and sounds amazing. Unfortunately, much like manual transmissions, big powerful NA motors are a dying bread

That is a nice thing about Porsche though. If you can't build a car that fits you perfectly, then there is just no pleasing you

Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
At least that is one setting the Cayenne remembers (that you turned it off). The 996 sets the fan back to level 1 every time you start the car.

For me the CD is the hands down winner below the GTS. I am a NA guy so I'd go for the GTS over the Turbo if they were in my price range. The Turbo definitely gives you that instant kick (same with the Diesel), but that NA V8 in the GTS revs up so nicely and sounds amazing. Unfortunately, much like manual transmissions, big powerful NA motors are a dying bread

That is a nice thing about Porsche though. If you can't build a car that fits you perfectly, then there is just no pleasing you
Yes I will say the GTS in sport mode sounded incredible! The price though 107.... holy crap! My DD is a 09' Nissan Titan with I/E/T and it would eat that GTS up to 45 or so (my 0-60 is 5.8 if I get traction) after that 60 and a above I'm no match for a GTS! I can do a rolling start in 1st at 20 hammer it and the tach will slam the redline and the truck is out of control, then slam it into 2nd and the rear end wants to get out from under you (very scary in a 5500 lb big truck) that is what I expected the GTS to do- I wanted to respect that thing, instead I had the salesman kinda mad when I had the GTS a little sideways (very controlled) going around an "U" underpass of a freeway with it to the floor. So if I can't be wowed I'll just have the cheap-o-gas V6 LOL

Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 PM
rmmcdaniel is on a distinguished road

I hear you and agree from a programmer's perspective but that is only one lens to look thru. Reality is that the car manufacturers have to comply with government regulations, meet marketing goals, etc. Because of that they cannot allow you to, for example, default or program the car to remember sport mode upon startup as it lowers fuel economy which affects both gov regs and marketing. Such is reality in this day and age (unfortunately)...

Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel
Because of that they cannot allow you to, for example, default or program the car to remember sport mode upon startup as it lowers fuel economy which affects both gov regs and marketing. Such is reality in this day and age (unfortunately)...
There are no laws in the US that would prevent such an option. There are just laws that say they have to meet minimum standards across their entire fleet of cars. In fact one trick some companies are taking is that they have an "eco" mode that improves their MPG and allows them to "meet" the guidelines, but it's off by default and most people don't use it because it makes the cars pathetic.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 AM
wilsontour is on a distinguished road
Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM
And you guys were complaining about the tail pipes before

I like the new steering wheel. Probably be far more than I want to spend on swapping it in. I don't like the new headlights with the integrated DRLs. They look a bit better than the current TT/GTS lights in that regard, but still look too bulky.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Gnat, we need to contact that guy in China and tell him to plastidip those pipes!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:54 PM
rmmcdaniel is on a distinguished road
There are no laws in the US that would prevent such an option. There are just laws that say they have to meet minimum standards across their entire fleet of cars. In fact one trick some companies are taking is that they have an "eco" mode that improves their MPG and allows them to "meet" the guidelines, but it's off by default and most people don't use it because it makes the cars pathetic.
I am not saying there is a law against it. I am saying that the EPA evaluates individual car (and fleet) gas mileage (and assesses gas guzzler taxes) based on default driving performance when you turn on the ignition and drive under normal circumstances (without having to push any buttons, drive under abnormal conditions such as purposely shifting or applying throttle differently, etc). Because of this the manufacturers are not motivated to allow you to create an alternative "default" situation when you turn on the ignition.

For example, why would GM put the 1-4 skip shift in Corvettes if not to have better EPA fuel mileage numbers and avoid the gas guzzler tax?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
lIf you are a less is more why in the world would you get a Cayenne, the thing has a button for everything LOL

no I have never driven a Cayenne

If you have all these complaints about a Cayenne but have never driven one, we need to have a button here for Ignore.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
If you have all these complaints about a Cayenne but have never driven one, we need to have a button here for Ignore.
LOL I was being sarcastic

I am a very sarcastic person