Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY - How to Retrofit OEM Porsche LED License Plate Lights (error free way)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:48 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by executive
I dont understand what everyone is talking about. I just use any error free LED's and I dont get any error om my 2012.
this thread is talking about retrofitting OEM units, the aftermarket so called CANBUS error free leds bulbs all just have resistors built-in to trick the computer into normal, and they all tend to burn out sooner or later, I've talked to few popular LED makers on the web and they all refuse to make it in this application as the unit tend to overheat, hence I went through the trouble of trying to fit the OEM units

and seriously, no aftermarket LED can look nicer than OEM, ask me, I know, I have about 15 sets of LED collecting dust in my garage

here's also a good read on why it's good to use the CANBUS control unit like I used in my thread

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Truth-about-...5123542/g.html

Old 02-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor
AZN Optics is on a distinguished road
Canbus control unit is simply an external resistor sheathed in a case, no different than the built in solution functionally. We have those as well (http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=87) from Morimoto. External resistors will degrade and burn out over time as well, but because they are externally located, you have better ventilation so less heat related damage.

When you get down to it, the chip inside the OEM housing is just a PCB with 2 diodes. Earlier LED technology was pretty simple, but technology has changed quite a bit. New COB based SMDs give you huge surface area lighting for more even light spread compared to scattered SMDs. The new CREE XB chip is much improved in terms of light distribution as well. To regulate power, newer units have constant current IC drives.

Regardless of if you go OEM or aftermarket, in terms of looking good, it comes down to three things.... light spread, color temp, and lumen intensity. All of this is configurable. In terms of durability, it comes down to temperature and power. Resistors add heat and if it gets hot enough, it can damage the circuitry. All built in solutions however are designed to work within a very specific power spec range. Live vehicular environment though can occasionally have external factors that are outside design. Nothing kills LEDs more than current surges. Similar to why you need a surge protector between your wall socket and your TV/Computer, big enough surge can take out these components. You really would need to wire in pulse resistors to safeguard. What causes this? Any number of things from low battery, to bad alternator, to bad voltage regulator. Ever see the power on your dash fluctuate when your AC compressor kicks in, there's a surge somewhere. OEM and aftermarket are not exempt from this damage.

Last edited by AZN Optics; 02-24-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 AM
MIK911 will become famous soon enoughMIK911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Should contact us. Could have been a faulty component. You're covered under our 1 year warranty policy so could have swapped out a replacement.
Great! Thanks. I will contact you guys

Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 AM
executive is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kechang
this thread is talking about retrofitting OEM units, the aftermarket so called CANBUS error free leds bulbs all just have resistors built-in to trick the computer into normal, and they all tend to burn out sooner or later, I've talked to few popular LED makers on the web and they all refuse to make it in this application as the unit tend to overheat, hence I went through the trouble of trying to fit the OEM units

and seriously, no aftermarket LED can look nicer than OEM, ask me, I know, I have about 15 sets of LED collecting dust in my garage

here's also a good read on why it's good to use the CANBUS control unit like I used in my thread

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Truth-about-...5123542/g.html
well I have LEDS and they look no different than the so called OEM ones (they are not made by porsche anyway). Have lasted over 2 years so far and still going. They have heat sinks and that is the reason why they last.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	751.1 KB
ID:	441191  
Old 05-22-2016, 12:21 AM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by executive
well I have LEDS and they look no different than the so called OEM ones (they are not made by porsche anyway). Have lasted over 2 years so far and still going. They have heat sinks and that is the reason why they last.
Where did you get those?

Old 06-01-2016, 02:56 PM
I installed these lights from Amazon and they work perfectly.. Excellent illumination and no error.. very, very bright.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-03-2016, 08:53 AM
dokebi1221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by spyderman33
I installed these lights from Amazon and they work perfectly.. Excellent illumination and no error.. very, very bright.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have no clue why Porsche was so cheap to use these ugly lights in the first place...That being said, I'd like to change my ugly license bulbs to white LED. Is yours super bright? One of the video review seemed super bright like you could see your plate from miles away...

Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by dokebi1221
I have no clue why Porsche was so cheap to use these ugly lights in the first place...That being said, I'd like to change my ugly license bulbs to white LED. Is yours super bright? One of the video review seemed super bright like you could see your plate from miles away...
I can take a pic of it tonight... Its as bright as the picture above my post with the NY plates.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:04 AM
here you go.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160603_202738.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	669.7 KB
ID:	450261  
Old 06-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks spyderman33!
My friendly neighbor! Just ordered a pair!

Old 06-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks spyderman33!
My friendly neighbor! Just ordered a pair!
Anytime.. They are holding up well.. Can't complain for the money spent!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 AM
Just got those yesterday and installed them on my 2012. I'm very satisfied of the outcome so far. Very nice white lights! BUT, I have an error code on these saying to check my license bulb...Do you also get the error code on yours spyderman33?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:44 AM
Just got those yesterday and installed them on my 2012. I'm very satisfied of the outcome so far. Very nice white lights! BUT, I have an error code on these saying to check my license bulb...Do you also get the error code on yours spyderman33?
No error code for me.. Hmm.. Did you make sure you ordered the canbus ones?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by spyderman33
No error code for me.. Hmm.. Did you make sure you ordered the canbus ones?
Yea I did...What year is your Cayenne by the way?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:55 AM
yea i did...what year is your cayenne by the way?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY - How to Retrofit OEM Porsche LED License Plate Lights (error free way)