Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 CTT Fabspeed Cat Bypass pipe install - success!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 PM
MayorMcCheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive only had my Cayenne S a week but down the line this is something I will do maybe Black Friday?

Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Ive only had my Cayenne S a week but down the line this is something I will do maybe Black Friday?
That's gonna make it tough to get through NJ inspection.. since they do have a TV camera the car goes over - to look for the cat-converters.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
That's gonna make it tough to get through NJ inspection.. since they do have a TV camera the car goes over - to look for the cat-converters.
I'd swap it off prior to inspection - what I did with my Acura was once it completed inspection that was when I took off all 4 catalytic converters and then in a couple years when I have to go back I'd just put oem back on ( didn't have to put oem back because I bought the Cayenne)

Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 AM
Snipe656 is on a distinguished road
Since the primary cats would still be there I wonder if it would ultimately be an issue. Sure the camera sees nothing but then I would assume they do a visual inspection at that point or no?

Down here I do not think they look for anything, they probably are supposed to but my experience has been they just hook up to the ODBII port and go off that then general safety inspection(wipers, lights, blinkers, etc.).

I have a set of these pipes collecting dust in my garage for my 2015 S that I probably am going to toss onto eBay. I had planned on putting them on but my dealership gave me a rather direct warning about not doing any mods given the service history I have experienced with the vehicle. Tempted to instead buy the factory sport exhaust, not having the valves/button hooked up and seeing if I like that since as I understand things if done that way then it is always in its "loud" setting. Might just leave it all alone and instead focus mods on my wife's AMG or one of my older Fords. Have to feed my need to modify vehicles via something.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Snipe656
Since the primary cats would still be there I wonder if it would ultimately be an issue. Sure the camera sees nothing but then I would assume they do a visual inspection at that point or no?
NJ only does cursory emissions checking now. It consists of plugging into the OBD-II port and seeing if there are any codes stored, and the under car video examination of the exhaust system. It's the video exam that will probably trigger interest by the inspector. I owned a BMW M-Coupe (1999, 2001) - the 2001 coupe always caused interest by them since the cat-converter was built into the exhaust manifold on that car. They would examine it - it would flunk, I would have to ask for the supervisor, who would then look it up and pass it.

There is no longer any general vehicle inspection in NJ - you can drive into the inspection station with no windshield, headlights missing, busted out tail lights, and as long as the emissions passes - you get your sticker and on your way (although it might be a problem putting the sticker on the vehicle with no windshield.) This was part of our governor - fat-boy - saving us money (actually stealing the money since we still pay an inspection fee as part of our registration renewal.)

Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Snipe656 is on a distinguished road
NJ only does cursory emissions checking now. It consists of plugging into the OBD-II port and seeing if there are any codes stored, and the under car video examination of the exhaust system. It's the video exam that will probably trigger interest by the inspector. I owned a BMW M-Coupe (1999, 2001) - the 2001 coupe always caused interest by them since the cat-converter was built into the exhaust manifold on that car. They would examine it - it would flunk, I would have to ask for the supervisor, who would then look it up and pass it.
I think that sort of situation could perhaps be the saving factor for someone with a Cayenne and these pipes. Since once triggering the inspector to actually inspect they should then see the primary cats and worse case involve a supervisor. But I guess ultimately it boils down to how much risk/trouble one wants to go through. Not like just swapping the stock pipes on is a tremendous amount of effort.

Down here state troopers sometimes will inspect a car for cats during routine traffic stops. Something I doubt would happen on a Cayenne, but something I got a hefty ticket from on a Mustang that had no cats and also smog pump was bypassed(no belt on it). It is a rare case, I am the only person I know of who ever has had that happen to them.

This is something that always annoyed me about these inspections. I had a truck that had zero emissions equipment on it, would pass the sniffer but fail the visual so no sticker. I had a 928 that had zero emissions equipment on it, would pass the sniffer and passed visual simply because they were clueless when looking and the resonators on the exhaust I suppose confused them to be cats. Shame it can't just be about passing a sniffer/codes and that be it.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:04 PM

There is no longer any general vehicle inspection in NJ - you can drive into the inspection station with no windshield, headlights missing, busted out tail lights, and as long as the emissions passes - you get your sticker and on your way (although it might be a problem putting the sticker on the vehicle with no windshield.) This was part of our governor - fat-boy - saving us money (actually stealing the money since we still pay an inspection fee as part of our registration renewal.)
I was told yesterday by my tinter that if I had my windshield tinted (50%) it would not pass and they started doing this 1.5 years ago?
I dont think thats correct but I take your response more accurate than his. The ONLY thing stopping me from buying this bypass pipe is the interference of having to go to the dealer when the time comes for whatever issue and then "mentioning" the mod and then causing me to explain some bs story to con my way out of having it installed