Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Adventures in Plasti-dipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Adventures in Plasti-dipping

Round one. The back badges..

Next week the lip on the hatch goes under the Plasti knife.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:01 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
TJ,

Dang that black lettering really pops on the white, congrats.... I'd love to give this a whirl on my '12 Meteor GrayMmetallic Cayenne S but I've never used platidip. How time consuming is it to peel away the excess material and what tool do you use to get a clean edge between the letters and the body?

Sorry for the noob questions on this but I'd love to do the same if you could point me in the rough direction for how to do this with such a clean result ...

Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Hey man,

Thanks! For my first time I think it came out ok and I invested about 2 to 3 hours in the project. It was slightly windy on Sunday so that's the reason for the obsessive amount of newspaper and tape.

Go here..

Everything I did I learned from that short video. Peeling away is easier the more you invest in the layers of plasti dip. I Did 5 layers with 12 minute drying times between them on a very sunny warm day outside.

I rotated with a toothpick and plastic fork 'tooth' broken off from the fork. I was an absolute noob at this myself till Sunday. Having the blackout package on the Cayenne this chrome and that on the lip were bugging the **** out of me. I installed a Stainless steel Cayenne S plate as you can see on the last photo under the hatch on the bumper to cover some previous scratched purchased off Ebay for around $125.00. That 'lip' is getting the dip next week.

Hope that helps Happy dipping!

T.J.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Here are some more photos from stage 2 of the dipping. I ran out of daylight to fix the edges, I'll do that another day after I figured out a technique to get a clean edge. I REALLY like the new look of the rear of the Cayenne. The glass looks like it drops down to the bumper now with my tint.

Dipping in action photo.

The 'finished' look. I ran out of daylight but once I re-edge the lip it will look perfect. I REALLY like this! Thank you Plasti Dip.

Last edited by TJtheDJ; 04-12-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
Thanks TJ,

The lower rear trim looks great, I'll likely be following you down this route .... I've been trolling around YouTube where there are a bazillion video DIY's on plastidipping car emblems so I think I just found my new weekend project

Old 04-14-2017, 05:35 PM
TJ,

You inspired me to take my first steps into the wonferful world of Plastidip! I'm experimenting on my Cayenne S, and may give it a whirl on my 2010 911 4S Cab

Before ...

During ....

And after!

Old 04-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Now THAT looks sharp! Wow! What a difference! Are you gonna attack the lip?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
Now THAT looks sharp! Wow! What a difference! Are you gonna attack the lip?
Thanks, I'm really happy with the outcome. And yeah, I think I kinda have to go after the lower trim now.... anyway, since I've got 3/4 of a can left, might as well use it . How did you end up getting a clean lip around the lower trim? Did you just tape right underneath the trim itself and basically "paint" the trim, or do it a different way?

Old 04-15-2017, 01:27 AM
RickDC is on a distinguished road
I'm going to go full stealth and plasti-dip my head and taillights...;-)

Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Thanks, I'm really happy with the outcome. And yeah, I think I kinda have to go after the lower trim now.... anyway, since I've got 3/4 of a can left, might as well use it . How did you end up getting a clean lip around the lower trim? Did you just tape right underneath the trim itself and basically "paint" the trim, or do it a different way?
Yes sir. "Paint" it is exactly the way to trim it out.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:56 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickDC
I'm going to go full stealth and plasti-dip my head and taillights...;-)
Doing your head will present a unique opportunity..

Old 04-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Dippin' Your Tips?

Has anyone Pasti-Dipped their exhaust tips? Somebody on RL suggested it and I've been told that it holds up well despite the heat. I think this would look great, and rather than jumping directly into painting them, dipping them would be reversible in case it looks weird .... Anyone have any experience with PlastiDip and exhaust tips ?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 AM
BenCD is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Has anyone Pasti-Dipped their exhaust tips? Somebody on RL suggested it and I've been told that it holds up well despite the heat. I think this would look great, and rather than jumping directly into painting them, dipping them would be reversible in case it looks weird .... Anyone have any experience with PlastiDip and exhaust tips ?
What I have read with regards to PD-ing exhaust tips, and even from the guy, Gnat on RL who did is CD tips, is that the actual tips, which are surrounds or extensions of the exhaust pipe itself is; touch the tips when the engine is running or hot. If one can touch them without getting burned then the PD will be ok and last.

He had done the tips on his CD and after a year it has held up.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:59 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
Porsche sells an OEM gloss black lower trim piece for the tail gate. i dont remember what i paid for it, but its cheap and looks a lot nicer than plasti-diping that part.

Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
Here are some more photos from stage 2 of the dipping. I ran out of daylight to fix the edges, I'll do that another day after I figured out a technique to get a clean edge. I REALLY like the new look of the rear of the Cayenne. The glass looks like it drops down to the bumper now with my tint.

Dipping in action photo.

The 'finished' look. I ran out of daylight but once I re-edge the lip it will look perfect. I REALLY like this! Thank you Plasti Dip.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Thank Mike. Looking into it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.