Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne 958 - 2014 V6 change spark plug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:34 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Cayenne 958 - 2014 V6 change spark plug

I need to replace spark plugs for my cayenne , 33K mile now. I have Durametric I can reset the service. Do you have a write-up DIY for spark plugs?

Many Thanks. I will post the pictures when I am working on my Cayenne.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dougcayenne
I need to replace spark plugs for my cayenne , 33K mile now. I have Durametric I can reset the service. Do you have a write-up DIY for spark plugs?

Many Thanks. I will post the pictures when I am working on my Cayenne.
I used the following link as a reference to replace mine. Good reference for 958 V6.

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/serv...ark-plugs.html

The above writeup shows 22 ft-lb for spark plug torque but it's for V8. So you should apply 15 ft-lb for 958 V6.

In order to remove the small latch, I recommend use VW tool T10118. This tool is useful for many applications. This tool makes many jobs easy.

Another reference:
http://flatsixes.com/advise/maintena...ange-tutorial/

It's an easy job. The most important info to know is that the plugs do not go straight vertical, but angle to one side or the other alternately. Using an extension with 5/8" spark plug socket, start the plug with fingers very carefully. (never start with rachet wrench - you know why).

Please upload some photos after your successful job.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:21 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dynamic101
I used the following link as a reference to replace mine. Good reference for 958 V6.

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/serv...ark-plugs.html

The above writeup shows 22 ft-lb for spark plug torque but it's for V8. So you should apply 15 ft-lb for 958 V6.

In order to remove the small latch, I recommend use VW tool T10118. This tool is useful for many applications. This tool makes many jobs easy.

Another reference:
http://flatsixes.com/advise/maintena...ange-tutorial/

It's an easy job. The most important info to know is that the plugs do not go straight vertical, but angle to one side or the other alternately. Using an extension with 5/8" spark plug socket, start the plug with fingers very carefully. (never start with rachet wrench - you know why).

Please upload some photos after your successful job.
I greatly appreciate for your write-up. That's AWESOME !!! Many Thanks. My local porsche fremont porsche or Stvenscreekporsche in the bay area charges $1300 for 40K miles service. I only need them to do oil-change so they can inspect my car before the factory warranty expire in 2018. I have an extended warranty to 2020 100K miles. For sure I will not reach 100K miles in 2020.

The rest I will do myself. Use this money to have nice dinner with my wife ...

Thank Again

Old 05-06-2017, 10:42 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
You might be my neighbor since I am familiar to Fremont and Stevens Creek in Bay Area.
As you know, stealership wants your money as much as possible.

This is what I did for 40k.
- Oil change with a new filter: about $80
- Spark Plugs: about $70
- Brake Fluid Flush: About $30 for two ATE type 200
Total: $180 + a couple of beers.

The stealership wanted $2,500+TAX and emphasized that it's a bargain! I said "Thanks!" and walked away.

You have a great CPO program but keep an eye on your Transfer Case before your warranty expires. It would cost min. $4,500+TAX. You know that there is a long thread about TC in this forum. It's well worth to read all write-up there.

I replaced my Transfer Case oil recently and found that a simple oil change made a good improvement.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by dynamic101
You might be my neighbor since I am familiar to Fremont and Stevens Creek in Bay Area.
As you know, stealership wants your money as much as possible.

This is what I did for 40k.
- Oil change with a new filter: about $80
- Spark Plugs: about $70
- Brake Fluid Flush: About $30 for two ATE type 200
Total: $180 + a couple of beers.

The stealership wanted $2,500+TAX and emphasized that it's a bargain! I said "Thanks!" and walked away.

You have a great CPO program but keep an eye on your Transfer Case before your warranty expires. It would cost min. $4,500+TAX. You know that there is a long thread about TC in this forum. It's well worth to read all write-up there.

I replaced my Transfer Case oil recently and found that a simple oil change made a good improvement.
For transfer case, What was your mileage when you did transfer case service?? I have BMW X5 before I did the Transfer case at 60K.

Many Thanks. Perhaps we can get together for lunch. I also have 2014 PAN4 I want to do the air filter and spark plug myself. Just got durametric, it worked GREAT for oil change recently.

Any Write-up on transfer case? Lunch is on me seriously.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dougcayenne; 05-07-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:56 PM
@dougcayenne

Los altos?
It's a beautiful town I used to visit my friends when I was studying at the Barn.
2014 Panamera is a good choice since it doesn't have some critical problems compared to ealier models.

My writeup is in the TC thread and I removed weird noises by changing TC fliud recently. I didn't even knoe the noises were from TC.

A proactive maintenance has not only saved a big chunk of money but also improved safety.

You don't need to worry about it because you carry CPO warranty. Just keep an eyen on it from time to time.

The reason I chose Cayenne V6 was that it's well-proved & problemless Porsche line as well as eaiser maintenance. The TC issue is a big bummer though.

My Cayenne still gives a great capability through sport mode and tiptronic. Hopefully I can move to the territory of 911 Carrera in the future.

Last edited by dynamic101; 05-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Rennmaschine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Coil Pack Remover Tool

I changed the spark plugs today in my 2013 Cayenne VR6. I ended up using this Coil Pack puller tool by Schwaben. The tool provided good leverage for pulling the packs off of the plugs, and also provided a solid way to push them back onto the newly installed plugs. I highly recommend this tool (or an equivalent). For the other engine configurations, there are different coil pack removal tools available to fit those particular coils.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Today I finally replaced the coil and spark plug for my 2014 Cayenne. Ran into 2 issues.
1. Broke the latch from the head to attach to the coil. Please see the picture. I managed to get it out and was able to snap it back in the coil securely. I don't know how I can replace the head unit attached piece from the wire.
2. You must have had a coil puller. while pulling the coil out, the black rubber inside the coil separated from the coil and still attached the plug body. Spraying WD40, and with a small long flat screw driver, I tried to lose the rubber around the plug body, and with my handmade tool, I was able to pull it out successfully.

I appreciate for your feedback to replace the body of the head attached to the coil.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.