Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Replacement Vertex Center Driveshaft Support Bearing Bushing [PICS] [VIDEO]

Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man

This is my theory as well. This would also explain why on WOT (around corners) on the original new driveshaft, I still had slight knocking. I have yet to hear any knocking on this design. It just restricts the lateral movement of the bearing to a much greater degree.
Kinda hard to believe that every failure is from people ripping their SUV around corners. Most Cayennes are driven like my other SUV.

Providing just the facts, my first bushing failed at under 37K miles and the second one under 20K miles. Both of these numbers are significantly lower than your 60-120K estimate and would suggest that this is either (A) bad luck or (B) a major design issue.
Maybe you should go read the "driveshaft survey" over on rennlist. More owners surveyed than just your personal experience. Results seem to be most failures over 60k and some as high as 120k or more with no issue at all. And of course this is just the owners that participate in forums.

Considering that a company designed an aftermarket replacement to address the concerns of the stock design, means that a company saw enough issues in the field to warrant R&D, obtain a patent (not cheap), and possibly profit from these issues moving forward. From what I hear, which maybe exaggerated, they are having no issues selling these replacements on a daily basis. From my own knowledge, this product has been on the market for over a year with no complaints in sight (at least that I could find).

For me, since this part is known to fail prematurely, it only makes sense to make this a serviceable part. The fact that you can replace this part without having to remove the driveshaft or drop the exhaust is a huge gain in my book. Even if the individual supports start to wear, they state that they will provide replacements. Once again, a huge improvement over the stock unit where Porsche will not just let you replace the bushing itself - which is absurd to replace a complete driveshaft, when the just the bushing should be replaced.
Just because someone makes something doesn't mean its better. That has yet to be seen. Which is my only point here. We don't actually know the cause of the failure, only the resulting torn bushing. What about the bearing?

I like the idea of an upgraded part! Just questioning if this is an "half step" or a real solution. Maybe its masking a greater issue? Maybe the bushing is acting like a fuse and this is just pushing the issue further down the line to the next weak link? If this isn't allowed to flex where is that energy going? Transmission or differential bearings?

Edit: Maybe a more solidly mounted drivetrain (engine and trans mounts) would prevent this failure! Maybe its excessive drivetrain movement that is prematurely eating your bushing, not the bushing itself!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Cole,

I am not going to argue with you. If this is not for you, that is okay with me.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Thumbs up

Cole,

I am not going to argue with you. If this is not for you, that is okay with me.
No one is trying to ague here. Just discuss the facts around the product and the actual failures of the stock part.

I just hate to see marketing hype blown up without real data!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Cole
......Maybe the bushing is acting like a fuse and this is just pushing the issue further down the line to the next weak link? If this isn't allowed to flex where is that energy going? Transmission or differential bearings?

Edit: Maybe a more solidly mounted drivetrain (engine and trans mounts) would prevent this failure! Maybe its excessive drivetrain movement that is prematurely eating your bushing, not the bushing itself!
Cole, you raise an interesting point regarding drivetrain alignment.

The hydraulic engine mounts do settle over time.

Would this lead to abnormal strain being placed on the downstream components such as the cardan shaft center bearing?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM
labedra is on a distinguished road
All I can say I bought it . Simple design, easy to install and get your wheels on the ground quick.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM
stormy69 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
Cole, you raise an interesting point regarding drivetrain alignment.

The hydraulic engine mounts do settle over time.

Would this lead to abnormal strain being placed on the downstream components such as the cardan shaft center bearing?
i expect that i can change the alignment more with my air suspension than would ever be possible through the mounts. it could boil down to cheap rubber, ozone and heat deteriorate it and it fails....

i expect in the next year or so, if the vertex part doesn't function as advertised, we will know about it.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stormy69
i expect in the next year or so, if the vertex part doesn't function as advertised, we will know about it.
Yep! I will let the group know if it fails me in the next couple years. Right now, it is doing better than my OEM replacement that I got last May.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM
stormy69 will become famous soon enough
i think another lime rock run is in order, just for validation of course

Old 05-05-2013, 12:22 AM
nuttersandy is on a distinguished road
Kinda hard to believe that every failure is from people ripping their SUV around corners. Most Cayennes are driven like my other SUV.

Maybe you should go read the "driveshaft survey" over on rennlist. More owners surveyed than just your personal experience. Results seem to be most failures over 60k and some as high as 120k or more with no issue at all. And of course this is just the owners that participate in forums.

Just because someone makes something doesn't mean its better. That has yet to be seen. Which is my only point here. We don't actually know the cause of the failure, only the resulting torn bushing. What about the bearing?

I like the idea of an upgraded part! Just questioning if this is an "half step" or a real solution. Maybe its masking a greater issue? Maybe the bushing is acting like a fuse and this is just pushing the issue further down the line to the next weak link? If this isn't allowed to flex where is that energy going? Transmission or differential bearings?

Cole,

With what you are saying, it looks like it's largely due to the owners driving habits. But just to mute you, I've known two guys who had there bearing go out at 30K miles and 75k miles. And both have replaced with vertex center support bearing and have over 70k miles, 125k miles on the vertex auto respectively. Although this is just two people, it shows the product is in fact working. Also, if you do more research and look at how big of a problem this really is, then you would be quite amazed.

I think you should call vertex and let them enlighten you with facts/information of their product, instead of you speculating what the problem is. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by nuttersandy; 05-05-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nuttersandy
Cole,

With what you are saying, it looks like it's largely due to the owners driving habits.
No. I was saying exactly the opposite. Maybe you should read more

But just to mute you, I've known two guys who had there bearing go out at 30K miles and 75k miles. And both have replaced with vertex center support bearing and have over 70k miles, 125k miles on the vertex auto respectively. Although this is just two people, it shows the product is in fact working. Also, if you do more research and look at how big of a problem this really is, then you would be quite amazed.

I think you should call vertex and let them enlighten you with facts/information of their product, instead of you speculating what the problem is. Just my $0.02.
So, this product has been out about a year and you know a sample size of two guys that have racked up 70k & 125k on them in that time frame? I'm calling total B.S. on your statements.

Even if these two guys have racked up 70k and 125k on the bearing your sample size is still 2! If you go look at the polls there are many(many more than 2) owners with 70k and 125k on the stock bearing set up. So this doesn't really prove crap. Which you are still full of if you know not one but two people that have driven more than 70k in the last year

As for calling a company to get "facts" that is the last reliable source for information. The snake oil salesman will always tell you the "fact" that his product will cure whatever you have!

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 05-05-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Cole,

With what you are saying, it looks like it's largely due to the owners driving habits. But just to mute you, I've known two guys who had there bearing go out at 30K miles and 75k miles. And both have replaced with vertex center support bearing and have over 70k miles, 125k miles on the vertex auto respectively. Although this is just two people, it shows the product is in fact working. Also, if you do more research and look at how big of a problem this really is, then you would be quite amazed.
Thanks for weighing in. I have no doubts there are many happy Vertex owners. The reality is that for the most part, you will only hear about the unhappy owners of a product.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Cole,

I edited your post (#25) and removed a confrontational statement. There is no reason not to welcome all opinions and perspectives.

Consider this an initial warning to play nice

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM
[Mod removed]

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 05-05-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Off topic , Inappropriate.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Cole,

Strike two and last warning. Next step will be account suspension.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
So, this product has been out about a year and you know a sample size of two guys that have racked up 70k & 125k on them in that time frame? I'm calling total B.S. on your statements.
The Vertex bushing has been out since about July of 2011 (advertised in August 2011 issue of Panorama). I took his statement to mean total mileage accrued, which would be 40k, and 50k on the bushings respectively. Still a lot, but possible. Note, that I have never used the Vertex bushing, and am in no way endorsing it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacement Vertex Center Driveshaft Support Bearing Bushing [PICS] [VIDEO]