Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Video: How To Change The Brake Pads And Rotors On A Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:30 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Video: How To Change The Brake Pads And Rotors On A Cayenne Turbo

If anyone needs help changing the rear brake pads and rotors for their 1st generation Cayenne Turbo, I made a how to video that will hopefully be helpful. This video should apply to all 2003-2006 Cayenne Turbo's.

Last edited by dan87951; 07-09-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 PM
vetkiller is on a distinguished road
Good video. Just be carful leaving your car jacked on a hydraulic floor jack. They can fail. I have a 2008 Turbo and unfortunately I am going through the painful process of trying to get the right parts for my vehicle. I got lucky and got the one year of Cayennes that couldn't make up there mind with brakes. Between a 368mm front rotor, finding the right pads that will work and having calipers that you have to pull off to replace the pads. Makes it frustrating and constant runs to the local shop which has left my CTT on blocks all week.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:35 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Good job. I'd second the always use jack stands comment though, especially if any part of you is going to be under the car.

The caliper bolts should also have a bit of thread lock on them. One more reason they are so hard to get out. Mine has the big brake package and the front ones were even harder. I ended up heating the bolt with a heat gun then still resorting to the breaker bar with a sledge hammer.

One more trick I use is to stick a big screwdriver between the rotor and old pad before removing it to compress the caliper back down. Especially on multi piston calipers like this sometimes when you push one down the other will pop back up. Just makes it a bit easier.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:40 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vetkiller
Good video. Just be carful leaving your car jacked on a hydraulic floor jack. They can fail. I have a 2008 Turbo and unfortunately I am going through the painful process of trying to get the right parts for my vehicle. I got lucky and got the one year of Cayennes that couldn't make up there mind with brakes. Between a 368mm front rotor, finding the right pads that will work and having calipers that you have to pull off to replace the pads. Makes it frustrating and constant runs to the local shop which has left my CTT on blocks all week.

There were a lot of permutations of brakes on these things for several reasons. It took me awhile to sort mine out too. My 2005 has the big brakes with 380mm two piece front rotors which nobody seems to make aftermarket. $2,500 in parts to do mine and about $1800 of that was just for the two front rotors.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by jdubbya
There were a lot of permutations of brakes on these things for several reasons. It took me awhile to sort mine out too. My 2005 has the big brakes with 380mm two piece front rotors which nobody seems to make aftermarket. $2,500 in parts to do mine and about $1800 of that was just for the two front rotors.
WOW! I will consider myself fortunate then. In the end I'll have spent $800 for front and rear drilled and slotted rotors with yellow stuff EBC pads. I could of done it for about $500 but I really wanted to get drilled and slotted because they look so much better with my 22's.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all

There is a jack stand under the car as a safety precaution but it doesn't look like it shows up in the video. I have one to the left of the jack and also under the rear diff. I swap them depending on what area of the car I'm working on.

Don't you just love Porsche for that? I even had difficulty finding out the right size rotors I needed. There seems to be some conflicting info on what size rotors even my 2005 Turbo has. A quick call to the dealer got that sorted out (330mm for my 05' Turbo).

Enclosed is a good cheat sheet I found on what size rotors our cars came with.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 AM
WOW! I will consider myself fortunate then. In the end I'll have spent $800 for front and rear drilled and slotted rotors with yellow stuff EBC pads. I could of done it for about $500 but I really wanted to get drilled and slotted because they look so much better with my 22's.

Isn't yellow stuff brake pads their "race" offering? If so, I would stick with the red stuff pads much better for street and you won't be squealing at every stop sign. lol

Old 04-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Yellow stuff is actually their SUV, 4x4, truck brakes (Heavy Cars). Couldn't find the right red or green stuff brakes. It appears that they were yellow stuff pads on my car previously too. Don't think they make the Red Stuff (Race) pads for my Cayenne.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:46 AM
So hopefully this will help anyone with an 2008 CTT. The font rotor is 368mm and the rears are 350mm. Got the fronts done have to ship the 330mm back.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:26 AM
So hopefully this will help anyone with an 2008 CTT. The font rotor is 368mm and the rears are 350mm. Got the fronts done have to ship the 330mm back.

Nice calipers! Love the color. Who painted them?

Old 04-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Thanks! It was a winter project. I used G2 caliper paint Lime Green. I recommend two cans if you want to cover up another color. The red shows through in spots. Maybe another coat next winter.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951
There is a jack stand under the car as a safety precaution but it doesn't look like it shows up in the video. I have one to the left of the jack and also under the rear diff. I swap them depending on what area of the car I'm working on.

Don't you just love Porsche for that? I even had difficulty finding out the right size rotors I needed. There seems to be some conflicting info on what size rotors even my 2005 Turbo has. A quick call to the dealer got that sorted out (330mm for my 05' Turbo).

Enclosed is a good cheat sheet I found on what size rotors our cars came with.

The cheat sheet is a good base to start with. But like with mine, it has the iE81 upgrade so has the big 380mm two piece front rotors. That's why I was saying there were many permutations of brakes on these things. Leave it to Porsche to complicate something as simple as brakes.

People always have a hard time believing my brakes cost as much as I said so I show them this page. Notice the only major difference between the standard and iE81 brake kits is essentially the two piece front rotors and about a $2,200 difference in price https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-20.../Service_Kits/

Last edited by jdubbya; 04-29-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Yellow stuff is actually their SUV, 4x4, truck brakes (Heavy Cars). Couldn't find the right red or green stuff brakes. It appears that they were yellow stuff pads on my car previously too. Don't think they make the Red Stuff (Race) pads for my Cayenne.

I was thinking I had put Red stuff on mine but looking again at the ECS page I posted above they show yellow stuff in the kit too. Whatever they are they create WAY less dust than whatever was on it when I bought it. Incredible difference.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by jdubbya
I was thinking I had put Red stuff on mine but looking again at the ECS page I posted above they show yellow stuff in the kit too. Whatever they are they create WAY less dust than whatever was on it when I bought it. Incredible difference.
Yea, I was a little confused by that too. If you look at their webpage they say red stuff is their street/performance pad and yellow stuff is the drift/race pad but for some reason "performance SUV's" have their own yellow stuff pad which is also street/performance oriented. Seems odd the performance SUV pads wouldn't follow under the red stuff product line.

Thank god mine doesn't have the E81 kit! Yikes! $2200?

Well the bad news is after I did my brake job I lost the security lug. Knowing Porsche I'm sure a replacement is the cost of a first born.

Last edited by dan87951; 07-09-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Ya I actually spent a lot of time on the phone with an auto anything rep about the EBC brake pads. He couldn't explain it either and could only find the yellow stuff pads that were compatible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Video: How To Change The Brake Pads And Rotors On A Cayenne Turbo