Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Misha Widebody Cayenne 957 Turbo S Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Hey Pete,

Very glad to hear you are enjoying the tune! You've built quite the Cayenne and I'm excited that the tune could help pull everything together and see its true potential

Feel free to give me a shout if you ever need anything!

- Alec
Alec,

Nice to meet you during my recent trip to the Philadelphia area and thanks for your help with the tune for the Cayenne.

Love it more every time I drive it.

Pete

Old 05-15-2018, 05:31 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Glad to see it all done and being enjoyed!! Was quite a process to watch. I never realized how much real body work went into some of these widebody kits. Makes the price a little more understandable!!

Enjoy it, it came out looking great!!!

Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Glad to see it all done and being enjoyed!! Was quite a process to watch. I never realized how much real body work went into some of these widebody kits. Makes the price a little more understandable!!

Enjoy it, it came out looking great!!!
Thanks a lot.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Petza914
Alec,

Nice to meet you during my recent trip to the Philadelphia area and thanks for your help with the tune for the Cayenne.

Love it more every time I drive it.

Pete
The pleasure is all mine!

We've been following your build for quite a while now and glad to be a part of it.

Keep us up to date on the build and enjoy the ride.

- Alec

Old 05-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
"Parking at the tourney this morning was a zoo - popped it into Special terrain mode and climbed up the curb to a nice, safe spot."

Love it! This is exactly why I chose to dump a bunch of money and work into mine instead of moving on. 955/957 Cayenne Turbo is one of the best kept secrets in auto imo.

Like the mount you made up. I have a steelie too but the damn magnet kept corrupting all my credit/debit cards if I forgot and put into the same pocket as my wallet. Now I am using it to hold my boost gauge on top the column. Perfect!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
"Parking at the tourney this morning was a zoo - popped it into Special terrain mode and climbed up the curb to a nice, safe spot."

Love it! This is exactly why I chose to dump a bunch of money and work into mine instead of moving on. 955/957 Cayenne Turbo is one of the best kept secrets in auto imo.

Like the mount you made up. I have a steelie too but the damn magnet kept corrupting all my credit/debit cards if I forgot and put into the same pocket as my wallet. Now I am using it to hold my boost gauge on top the column. Perfect!
Thanks and very resourceful on your part 👍

My phones are Android and unfortunately to get the fast processors and better phones, you have to buy the larger ones, so I use a belt case or holster most of the time, which prevents me from having that issue. Not the best look, but since we need our phones for work, I just consider it a tool on my utility belt.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Wow that was a long time coming. Glad to see its back in your possession and you are enjoying it. Any way to adjust that gap between the front and the fender? Looks amazing and congrats!

Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Griza
Wow that was a long time coming. Glad to see its back in your possession and you are enjoying it. Any way to adjust that gap between the front and the fender? Looks amazing and congrats!
That's actually not a gap, it's a body panel gasket that prevents the fiberglas bumpers from rubbing on the metal fenders and vice versa. It also makes those joints match the normal door gaps so they're all the same and makes a visual continuation of the hood to bumper panel line.

Here are some close-up photos. These are actually common on Porsches, just not the newer ones, like on the bumper to fender joints of older 911s and 928s.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 PM
In post #99 I mentioned I had taken measurements for the PCCB brake upgrade and radial to axial mounting adapters. Those measurements revealed a couple of new challenges with that part of the project, but it's still progressing.

Problem #1 - at the rear, the PCCB rotors are not much larger than the steel ones (20mm I think) and the 958 PCCB calipers have longer mounting legs on them for the radial mounts than the adapter on the red calipers for the axial mounts. In a nutshell, the problem that causes is there isn't enough clearance to make a proper adapter because the radial mounting hole spacing on the 958 caliper is very close to the axial mounting hole spacing on the red caliper and the rotor doesn't pull the PCCB caliper far enough away to have room for a spacer.

I thought about figuring out the mounting hole circle where the axial bolts need to install and then indexing the PCCB caliper along that circle a little bit to stagger where the 2 sets of holes would be, but there's not much rotational space without contacting something else - maybe 19mm, which meant the holes would be too close together for me to have confidence in the strength and longevity of the adapter, which just didn't seem safe under the braking loads possible. So I did some research with the PET catalogs and as it turns out, the exact same 370mm PCCB rotor (same part #s) were used on the rear of the 957 and 958 - 955.352.031.00 & 955.352.032.00 if equipped with PCCBs. Since the rotors are the expensive part of the PCCB brake upgrade I just decided to order the 957 rear calipers with the correct spacing and axial mounting holes so the rear is now taken care of and I'll sell the essentially new 958 PCCB rear calipers.

Problem #2 - at the front, I thought I was in good shape. The radial mounting holes of the PCCB caliper are a good bit wider (205mm) than the axial mounting holes of the red caliper (145mm) so there is space for both to co-exist. Unfortunately, because of the different mounting orientation of the 958 calipers, Porsche extended the legs of the PCCB caliper to where there isn't enough space left for a thick enough axial to radial adapter - you need a minimum of 15mm and I have about 4mm.

See how the caliper foot is touching the axial mounting hole flange - it needs to be further away to be able to make an adapter.

After consulting with the Epytec in Germany, which is the company that I'll be using to fabricate the front adapters, they recommended going to either a larger rotor to create more space for an adapter (there isn't one from Porsche and I already own these pristine ones) or shortening the mounting legs of the calipers to create enough space for the adapter. I decided to go with Option 2.

Since the caliper are aluminum, I setup a guide fence on my band saw to take 13mm from the caliper legs which would make them terminate just below where all the reinforcing tapers end and the legs just get straight.

Thought if I went nice and slow with some cutting oil, it would work out - nope. Because of the height of the guard with the guide wheels, the band deflected just enough to create a little bit of an angle. I knew they would need to sit straighter than that on the adapters, so I actually found a local machine shop that is going to mill them to within 0.020" for only $45 - they're really nice guys in a small little out of the way shop that has some serious equipment in it - thanks Google for putting them in the local machine shop search results. I didn't cut the 2nd one so they would have an unmolested one to setup the CNC machine to keep the relationship between the two legs the same, just shorter, and they'll do both of the calipers to the same length, obviously. This will get me 17-18 mm of clearance from the bottom of the PCCB caliper feet to the center of the axial mounting holes where I can then send off the exact measurements to Epytec and have them fabricate the front mounting adapters.

So, like things go with these projects, there are challenges that need to be overcome, but that's actually part of the fun and sense of accomplishment.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Picked up the machined calipers today - look great. Post lengths are within 0.1mm and sit nice and flat.

Sit nice and flat

An even better test as crookedness would be doubled

Loaded and ready to install

Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM
We just returned from FL this weekend so the car has completed its first major family vacation trip. I'm happy to report that it ran and drove flawlessly both there and back which was about 1,500 miles - averaged 13.2 mpg at 68 MPH including the time we were there so the trip down and back were done a bit faster (cruise was usually set to 84), and didn't use any oil (running JGR DT40 5W/40). Coolant temps from my p3 Gauge were right around 190 F most of the time - got stuck in Atlanta traffic on the way home on a 92 degree day and it went as high as 209, but then the fans must have kicked on dropping it back to about 200 - once we got moving again, it was back in the 190-194 range. AFRs were 13.5-15.

The new Skybox mounting system has now been tested up to about 100 MPH as have the Atturo AZ850 tires.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:29 AM

Some new pics in "family hauler" mode from our 2nd trip this summer - another 700 miles logged averaging 13.6 MPG. By the way, the Atturo tires do just fine in the rain, even through really deep puddles on the side of the road.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
I love it! She looks great and clean!

So what are you doing with your other calipers? (asking for a friend)

Last edited by OEkun1; 07-18-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by OEkun1
I love it! She looks great and clean!

So what are you doing with your other calipers? (asking for a friend)

I need to finish the measurements for the PCCB setup now that I've had the front calipers machined, but once I get those installed, I'll be selling the complete Turbo S brake setup - F&R rotors, F&R calipers, F&R pads and I just replaced the rear pads before the FL trip, less than 2,000 miles ago. I will also have the rear 958 PCCB calipers available for sale since I bought new 957 ones due to the fitment clearance issue for an adapter.

If your friend is interested, let me know your or his e-mail and I'll add him to the list I'm keeping of those interested in the Turbo S brake package.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Looking sharp!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Misha Widebody Cayenne 957 Turbo S Project