Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

PSM warning after cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:12 AM
gtharea is an unknown quantity at this point
PSM warning after cleaning throttle body

Hi all, wondering if I could get some guidance with issues surrounding my 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

It was idling rough, with poor throttle response and would start and then die after a cold start. After researching these symptoms, I decided to clean the MAFs and throttle body. Taking them out was easy, and I cleaned the MAFs with CRC MAF cleaner, and the throttle body with a toothbrush and CRC Throttle Body/Air Intake cleaner. Followed this guide: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

After putting everything back together, I went through the throttle relearn procedure (ignition on, engine off, don't touch pedal, wait 60s then off and start engine)

After turning on the engine it started on the first try (it usually didnt before) however, it was idling at 1000rpm. Also a "PSM warning" notification showed up on the dash. No CEL. I let it sit but it would still idle at 1000rpm. So after about 5 minutes I turned the engine off then back on, and it would idle at ~560rpm, like normal. Took the car for a drive, drove it gently until the temperatures got up, then I floored the pedal on a straight road.

Terrible response and engine speed would not go past 4000. After letting off the pedal, the car would go into "limp mode?", it would hover around 1000-1500 rpm and there was no response at all. Restarting the engine made it somewhat drivable, but flooring the pedal put it back into limp mode

I have an iCarSoft POR II scanner, and the codes it gave me are: P2126, P2138 and 1314. cleared the codes and they showed up again.

The first two are related to the throttle / pedal, and 1314 is a DME control module error. I had this error before, and I was able to fix it by unplugging the DME and plugging it back in. Tried this again, but error still showed up. But during the cleaning procedures I didn't do anything to the DME...

So my question is, could the throttle codes and poor performance be related to issues with the DME? The battery is new, less than 1 month old. The battery was connected when I disconnected and reconnected the throttle and MAF cables.

Also, the PORII has a "Data streams" function, and I was able to look at the throttle angle. When idling, it would show an angle between 6 and 7, and with the floored pedal the highest it got to was around 26 something. Did I damage the throttle body while cleaning it? I pushed the valve gently while cleaning it, I read that was OK. But no unnecessary force.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:37 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
If the icarsoft offers it for your vehicle, look under engine ECU, and see if it will allow you to clear adaptations. Since several sensors have been cleaned, the old adaptations may be causing problems.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:36 PM
james1911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gtharea
Hi all, wondering if I could get some guidance with issues surrounding my 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

It was idling rough, with poor throttle response and would start and then die after a cold start. After researching these symptoms, I decided to clean the MAFs and throttle body. Taking them out was easy, and I cleaned the MAFs with CRC MAF cleaner, and the throttle body with a toothbrush and CRC Throttle Body/Air Intake cleaner. Followed this guide: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

After putting everything back together, I went through the throttle relearn procedure (ignition on, engine off, don't touch pedal, wait 60s then off and start engine)

After turning on the engine it started on the first try (it usually didnt before) however, it was idling at 1000rpm. Also a "PSM warning" notification showed up on the dash. No CEL. I let it sit but it would still idle at 1000rpm. So after about 5 minutes I turned the engine off then back on, and it would idle at ~560rpm, like normal. Took the car for a drive, drove it gently until the temperatures got up, then I floored the pedal on a straight road.

Terrible response and engine speed would not go past 4000. After letting off the pedal, the car would go into "limp mode?", it would hover around 1000-1500 rpm and there was no response at all. Restarting the engine made it somewhat drivable, but flooring the pedal put it back into limp mode

I have an iCarSoft POR II scanner, and the codes it gave me are: P2126, P2138 and 1314. cleared the codes and they showed up again.

The first two are related to the throttle / pedal, and 1314 is a DME control module error. I had this error before, and I was able to fix it by unplugging the DME and plugging it back in. Tried this again, but error still showed up. But during the cleaning procedures I didn't do anything to the DME...

So my question is, could the throttle codes and poor performance be related to issues with the DME? The battery is new, less than 1 month old. The battery was connected when I disconnected and reconnected the throttle and MAF cables.

Also, the PORII has a "Data streams" function, and I was able to look at the throttle angle. When idling, it would show an angle between 6 and 7, and with the floored pedal the highest it got to was around 26 something. Did I damage the throttle body while cleaning it? I pushed the valve gently while cleaning it, I read that was OK. But no unnecessary force.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Any resolution to your problem with the Throttle?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.