Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

New Member - Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Blackhammer is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member - Questions...

Nice to make everyone's virtual acquaintance. First time Porsche owner. We purchased a 2012 CTT last fall with 31K miles and love it (current and planned mod list below the post). I have some questions as well as context:

Questions:
Is anyone data logging IAT's or AFR?
Does anyone feel their Cayenne doesn't perform up to expectations?
Why the variation in boost? I see .4 to .7 boost. Sometimes the vehicle pulls hard others not so much.
Has anyone had a failed intercooler pump?

Context:
The "books" (Car and Driver etc.) the CTT to be low 4's to 60 and 12.7 @ 113 mph quarter mile range. However, I have never seen a post or video on YouTube of a CTT breaking 13 seconds (even with a tune).
I recognize this is a Porsche forum but lots of car guys out there. I have extensive experience with modified AMG's.
Heat soak from superchargers and failed intercooler pumps are the vehicles achilles heel where performance suffers.
Without logging IAT's (on AMG's) you have no visibility and a failed intercooler pump usually doesn't throw a code. From what I gather heat is a factor with Turbo vehicles.

Hopefully this makes sense and I look forward to the feedback.

TK
2012 CTT
- GTS body kit at the body shop ready for paint/install
- Secondary cats removed
- Turbo S rectangle tailpipes installed
- Plans for a tune after I figure some things out

Old 04-10-2019, 02:47 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Welcome to the 6! I'm also aware of AMG heat-soak issues, mods, etc... especially with the 55 engines.
The only thing I can think of with your boost issues is possible diverter valve leak(s) or the DME/ECU is puling boost levels down as a safeguard under certain operating conditions. IAT can be logged with Durametric Pro version. http://www.durametric.com/

Old 04-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Thanks much. Greatly appreciate this and I will look into it. I had the vehicle in at the Porsche dealer. They did an inspection, found no codes, said my boost was "normal".

Glad to see there is some knowledge on this "cooling topic" and AMG's. I was able to get my E55 to run 10 degrees over ambient temps on 1-150 mph pulls (Killer Chiller, Water Meth, and Upgraded pump). Performance difference was huge (.4 seconds time improvement and 7 MPH trap improvement in the 1/4).

I need to get the CTT running right but wonder what type of performance increases water/meth would yield on the CTT?

I wouldn't be looking for any HP increase with water/meth, rather keep IAT's low throughout a pull. The comparison between a "cooled car" and "hot car" is night and day

Following is an example based on a car with 500 RWHP:

'Properly Cooled" - 1st gear 500, 2nd gear 500, 3rd gear 500, and 4th gear 500
"Poorly Cooled" - 1st gear 500, 2nd gear 450, 3rd gear 400, 4th gear 300

The difference if the cars were to race is significant especially on a 0-150 pull.

Following is a video from youtube of a heavily modified E55 car (poorly cooled) versus a stock M6 for visual impact. The E55 got hot (pulled timing and the ECU reduced boost) and the rest is history.

TK

Old 04-12-2019, 07:28 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Thanks for that. There are guys running meth on 911 turbos but you dont see much with the Cayennes as it's not the platform people commonly use to race. I'm sure meth would offer vast improvements in performance consistency for a CTT. Just sit idle at temp with the windows down in a CTT and feel the heat coming up from the ground. Best friend's CTT would let off an huge amount of heat and that was in the midwest -- not here in S.FL.

I have modified and built custom vehicles for years before selling off and moving on with the next chapter of my life but I greatly appreciate a cool low humidity day and cool IATs especially when on the dyno.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Smile

Very true on the CTT scene. As it happens the CTT is my wife's and I am probably trying to make it something that it isn't tp "feeds my beast a bit" and keep expectations in check.

I got myself a tag for reckless driving with the E55 a few summers ago that was eventually dropped to an excessive speed. My wife was well aware what I was doing and she told me "you get a big ticket that car is gone". Well, the rest is history.

Of course, like all the inmates in Shawshank Redemption I was "innocent" and feel I was wronged!

Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
The intercoolers on the CTT are air to air so there is no pump issue. I had a SL65 a while back and understand the heat soak issue as well.
As mentioned, there could be a few reasons why it isn't boosting that high. I'd look for boost leaks and the solenoid is also prone to issues from what I've heard. I'm running a tune on mine and it ran 12.9s@113 but the weather was less than optimal then. It also doesn't 60' very well. I think the best I got was a 1.9 60' and I tried several was to launch it.